1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Impulse2k1, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Impulse2k1

Impulse2k1 Member

I came across an 84? Yamaha XJ seca for sale, it supposedly ran 2 years ago, no key, lost title, 13,xxx miles, missing mufflers. It looks to be a 750 it also seems to look pretty complete. The guy wants $100 do you guys think that it is worth it?

Thanks

2. gremlin484

gremlin484 Member

If you dont want it, I'll take it off his hands!

Getting a title for it would be tough. At the very least, you should be able to get rid of most of it parting it out here...

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If it looks in good shape tell him to go to the DMV and get a replacement title and give him $200 for the bike.

4. Fraps

Fraps Member

No title sounds sketchy and the low price is a fast unload. It's a "steal" (pun intended) if you are looking for a parts bike. Otherwise, follow MiCarl's suggestion and get a title with your bill of sale.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm with Fraps on that one.

6. samsr

samsr Member

Have the DMV in your area run a title search on it. Or better yet if you know a policeman. He can run the vin and see if it is stolen. If it come back clean your in good shape if not you never saw it..

7. Impulse2k1

Impulse2k1 Member

I e-mailed him and he said that he once had the tittle for the bike but never transfered it over to his name and now it is gone. Also he says that he dosen't have a key for it, nor did he ever get one with the bike. He claims that to much is needed for it to get back on the road, but from the pictures it appears to be missing the front fender, mufflers, front head light, and maybe it was dropped on the left side(dent in the tank and signal broken). From the pics it seems to be a pretty decent bike

8. Fraps

Fraps Member

Let me tell you from experience, if he didn't transfer the title to his name - HE DOESN'T OWN THE BIKE! I had this problem with my Turbo, bought the bike off a guy who bought it off a guy but never transfered the title. 3 YEARS LATER of hounding and other hardships I got my title. I will never go through that again. Learn from my mistake.

9. geebake

geebake Member

Good price, but unless you're looking for a parts bike, I would stay away. Sounds like the amount of money and time it would take to put this bike on the road would make it NOT worth it.

If he lost a title that wasn't in his name, you'll have a really, really tough time making it legal. I'd stay away.

Greg

10. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I went through a similar deal in the last 2 years. In arizona anyway, you can file for an abandoned vehicle, on any vehicle. The DMV sent a guy to look at the car, now I wasn't supposed to remove it from the parkinglot it was at, but the transmission shop it was at I knew the owner and he wanted it gone.

So the DMV inspector said it probably wouldn't be a problem. The kid that left it there couldn't afford a new transimission, he'd only had the car a few months and never transferred title to his name.

What they do is do a trace, make sure it's clear and not stolen, contact previous owner on file to find out if they want it, (but they're responsible for storage fee's etc. you can claim for where it's been) so most likly they aren't going to want to pay that, plus get a car with a granaided trans.

So it's just a matter of wait, and yes wait. Took about 9 months but finally I got a title in the mail for it.
    I would imagine most states would have things work in a similar way, just bring it to their attention and have them search it's status, if it's hot it's not going to be any weight on your shoulders, only the guy trying to sell it to you.

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

It's different State to State.

In Massachusetts, if it's got wheels on it ... it just makes it easier for the thieves. I'm not talking just cars and bikes. There's low-life's that snatch handicap van's and wheel chairs. In Downtown Boston, bike messengers pull their front wheels and seats.

Take a walk down Commonwealth Avenue, near Boston University, and you'll see totally, stripped-naked, bent-up bicycle frames still locked to parking meters.

You show-up at the Department of Motor Vehicles making an inquiry about how to get a title for the bike you just bought that didn't come with one ... and, the lady looks at you like you're standing there wearing polka-dot over-all's, a Green wig, a blinking Red nose and gigantic shoes! The only thing she says is:

"Next!"

The Dynamic Duo was doing some crime-fightin', in Boston, a few years ago ... and after they saved the World from being totally blown to pieces by The Riddler they left the crime scene and headed-back to the Bat Cave, when Robbin looks over at Batman and says:

"Hey, Isn't this where we parked the Batmobile?"

Goodnight; Gracie

12. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

The DMV, the police, or your insurance agent may be able to tell you who the last titled owner is, and you could contact them to get a duplicate title which they sign over to you. or maybe they'll tell you to get lost, but its worth a try.

I bought mine with no title from a relative of the original owner. When I needed a title, I called the original owner, who was friendly and helpful. I filled out the forms and paid the $25 fee, the Registry mailed the dupe title to him (as he was the last owner on record), and he forwarded it to me in a self addressed stamped envelope I had sent him.

People are strange though, so your mileage might vary.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

I've called the non-emergency line to the California Highway Patrol to have them run a "vehicle of interest" check on VINs. Free and they are very helpful.

14. Impulse2k1

Impulse2k1 Member

After looking at the more detailed pictures that I got from the owner, I offered him $50 and he said that somebody on Sunday was coming and giving him $100

15. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

Let him take it, Unless your looking for certain parts on it, Getting titles can be one of the biggest pains in the butt.

16. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

What he said