1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

adjusted floats and now running rich

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by trickedout420, Jul 11, 2012.

1. trickedout420

trickedout420 Member

i adjusted float according to the factory spec using a float tube gauge, and when i got them all set to 3mm i put the carbs back on the bike and black smoke rolled out of the exhaust...im at a loss of what i should do now

the carbs are clean, i couldnt get to of the drain screws out so i just measured from the other ones and set them that way. but the floats all hung the same height. i have the pilot mixtures screws screwed 2.5 turns out

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Don't see hoe you could use the clear tube method if you can't unscrew the drains & setting the float by measurement just don't cut it.

3. trickedout420

trickedout420 Member

i can open the 2 outter screws on each side (1 and 4) i then measured it and set the 2 inners at the same height.. i measured the float height after i set the 2 outters and set the inners.. i cant get the to inner drain screws out. and i would like to be riding the bike this season instead of sittin on the side lines. ive already adjusted valves, clunk test, cleaned carbs, throttle seals, orings.

4. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Yep, you can't just guess!
    If you can't get the screws out (however I would bring it to a machine shop and have them removed and get new ones from Len) then you may want to try my method. Some of the guys didn't like it but it does work perfectly if you take your time and do it right..... Go here.... http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=31559.html
    After you do the floats correctly then you still need to sync and colortune 3 times. Oh and did you already check your valves? If not then you need to do this first.

5. BillThyCat

BillThyCat Member

You can use the bowls from the outside cylinders on the inside ones long enough to set the float levels, then just switch them back to their original locations.

6. trickedout420

trickedout420 Member

you know whats funny is i just went to bed and my lady said why dont you just switch the bowls stupid..

7. fintip

fintip Member

Yup, was going to recommend the same thing.

Also, worth noting: my floats sit at different heights 'dry' to get to the same level 'wet'. I tried setting them all that way the first time, everything was way off. Two are higher, two are lower. Don't know why, but that's how it is.

8. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

You can buy an EZ out kit for about $12. They work great.

9. trickedout420

trickedout420 Member

i will in the winter..but after buying the bike for 750 and dropping already 300 into it and i havent riden it yet except for the test ride..im getting itchy to just got out there and ride the shit out of it its been tagged for weeks but im down to final tuning...then over the winter im tearing the carbs back apart and replacing and deep cleaning everything seals nuts bolts