1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 900 value?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MeCasa, Jul 12, 2012.

1. MeCasa

MeCasa New Member

I know conditions is everything but I'm curious what members feel the value of a US 83 XJ 900 should be?

This is not what a connoisseur would want or pay, this is more about what these bikes will realistically move for.

Neither bike is perfect. The first is in very good condition (15,000 miles) but it currently doesn't run simply because it sat for a few years (probably a quick carb cleaning). Should I take the time to buy a battery and rework the carbs or sell as is. I'm thinking $1800 - $2200 in running condition and $1200 - $1500 as is?

The second bike hasn't run in awhile but it had a strong motor (26,000). If I remember it needs fork seals, seat cover, windscreen has small cracks near mounting screws, battery, carb job, brakes will need cleaning and re-priming and paint since I fixed pinhole in bottom lower corner of tank (built up silver solder) The rest of the bike is pretty clean, small rust on chrome bolts that will easily clean etc. nothing major.

US bikes. Parts bike or fix it up?

Thanks

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Well.. it would always be nice to see bikes selling for higher prices, but the reality is that unless you're bikes are in pristine condition, you probably won't get that.

Personally, I think you're a fair bit on the high side considering the conditions. I'd actually suggest going to around half that, maybe a bit higher than half to start with..............see what happens.

Heck, the American way is to make a buck, so go ahead and try where you're at and it gives you lots of wiggle room if you get a nibble. If you don't get any interest, then drop down a good ways and try again.

Hey, don't forget to get me the info on the two bikes so I can get them registered on the database.

thanks,

dave fox

3. mirco

mirco Member

The first thing I would ask is where you're located. If you're near me in Ohio then I would say a fair package price for both bikes in their current condition is $1,000 and I will make you're problem go away.

4. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've already seen this, and didn't like the answer:
    http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/19 ... 00/234540/
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1 ... ECA/Values

And these bikes were rare, considerably collectable, but you're going to have to do a lot of leg work to find and "appreciative" buyer, with deep pockets.

Espcially if it isn't mint, running, and ready to go, most will be looking for a cheap project bike. And when a bike sits "for a few years" it usually needs just under $1000 to recommission. Buyers should take a seller at his word when it "only needs a battery and carb clean to run." Too much risk

So to sell them whole and get the price you desire, you are going to need to find a buyer who would like a time machine and has the money to make it happen. Or a sucker, who thinks it'll be a cheap fix (and likely doesn't work on his own stuff) and takes it to a dealer to get it road worthy, sinking thousands into it and getting little out. Or both.

If it's really just dollars and cents to you, and you've got no love for the bikes, parting ANY of these XJs out, while more work and time consuming, will net you the most money. Fix them up, mint, 100%, and you'll likely lose 50% of your investment. Unless you ride them and enjoy them. Otherwise, sell them now for half what you are hoping for, and someone will snatch them up quick.

5. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

My two cents: bikes that aren't running deserve to receive low-ball offers. A buyer is taking more risk, and they want to mitigate that will less $ investment. It's always worth getting the bike running, even if roughly!

What has changed for me is the value of one of these vintage XJ bikes that has been restored. I see now that if a person has brought it up to spec, has all the receipts and records, I'm willing to pay almost 2x for the bike. All assuming that I don't care for a fix-it project at the time, which I guess a lot of us do here. :)

Off his soapbox,

Mr. Wirehairs

6. 99R3gal

99R3gal New Member

I'm not going to say exactly what I just bought my xj 900 for but I will say it is running for less than $1,000 so non running will be less for sure.

Oh and if you listen to this advice I need a few things :wink:

7. MeCasa

MeCasa New Member

Hmm. Any low mileage inline four that runs, decent paint, no rust and no ripped seat will sell between $1200 - $1400. I thought maybe a few hundred more since the bike is rare but I'm hearing that won't matter.

I didn't know Kelly did bikes - that's good to know

It won't cost anywhere near a thousand for the better of the two to get ready unless I took it to a shop and I generally work on my own bikes. I have gauges but I don't like tuning a YICS since I don't have one of those special Yamaha tools but they should be a lot easier to tune since I found this forum and I'm sure some one can help when I'm ready.

I won't part it out because that's a lot of dealing with a lot of people.

I don't love riding this particular bike because first gear is to high but I do like it enough to keep it just for the h^ll of it. And if I do keep it, I still have a parts bike.

Hehe, let's face it, if I didn't like it I wouldn't have two of them, not a favorite ride but a classy bike never the less. When I bought my first 900, I was under the impression it was identical to the 750 with more HP but it's a totally different machine. It would be a fav if it was identical to the 750 with 900cc

Tough decision, the economics are fixing an older Japanese bike for sale are terrible. It's not a biggie, I'd like some easy money but I'm not in a bind. The real value of these bikes for me was buying them, flying across country with my backpacks, picking up a bike and riding it home hitting some good National Parks or such on the way home. Even if I throw the bikes away when I get home, it still cost less than a cruise and I had more fun.

8. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like it's not just dollars and cents to you after all :D . 900 is a cool bike, with great looks to boot.

PM (personal message) chacal for parts. His service is excellent and he'll make sure you get the right parts. He'll also sell you an reproduction YICS tool, if you don't want to make one yourself.

You won't be a millionaire fixing up and selling 80s UJMs, but you'll feel like a million $$$ hauling @$$ down the highway on a 30 y/o bike that runs better than new :twisted: . And take solace in the fact that once you put the money and time into it, it'll never go DOWN in value, no matter how many miles you put on it (in case you end up in a financial bind in the distant future).

9. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Lets look at this from a buyers point of view.

Condition: Excellent :D
    I would expect the bike to be in near showroom condition. No abnormal wear, High mileage, or any other indications of extreme use. A quality restoration would fall into this group. Basically a show piece.
    Price: What ever someone is willing to pay

Condition: Very good :)
    I would expect this bike to be in real good RUNNING shape with current registration, and full documentation. No repairs, or maintenace needed. Basically a get on the bike, and ride deal.
    Price: $1000 - $1200

Condition: Good
    A running bike that is not in perfect condition. It may have some problems or maintenance items that need to be taken care of. This could cost around $800 - $1000 just to get it to a basic level of being safe. A good daily rider.
    Price: $400- $800 depending on the amount of repairs needed.

Condition: Fair
    A non-running bike, or a badly abused/neglected running bike that for whatever reason is going to need work to get it running, and road worthy again. The bike will need a good going through to check everything before it can be safely ridden. This could cost over a $1000 depending on the problems.
    Price: $0 - $400 once again depending on what repairs are needed.

Condition: Poor :(
    A poor unfortunate bike that has been seriously abused/neglected. It will usually have parts missing, bad paint, torn seat. Your basic junkyard refugee.
    Price: $0 - However low I can get it for.

Condition: Parts :cry:
    It has been give a bum rap. someone has already started striping it, or the motor is dead. It could be in any condition from a complete bike to a stripped carcase.
    Price: $0 - lowest possible price.

Now lets look at what you have to offer, and I mean absolutely no offense.

At $1800 I would not even take the time to look at it. 8O
    I can already assume that the tires/brakes/carbs/electrical are already going to have to be looked at "simply because it sat for a few years". Sitting is the worst thing possible for these bikes. Tires dry rot. Brake seals, and lines get outdated. Carbs get gummed up. Electrical corrodes.

There was a reason it was left sitting. Maybe it wasn't running good. Possibly other problems. I can easily figure that the bike will cost around $800 to make it top notch again.

At $1200 I would be on the bottom side of breaking even if I was lucky. Not much room for enjoyment left. Getting it running good would be an absolute must. Rock solid compression numbers, and maitenance records would go a long way.

If there is a title. It can always be fixed up, and given a new lease on life. I have one, or two of those now. This bike would most likely be a complete frame up resto project. That is talking big $$$ :(

If you are at all serious about selling. I would be interested in talking! Particularly about the second bike.

How about some pics of these bikes. We all like pics. :D

Ghost

10. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Lets look at this from a buyers point of view.

Condition: Excellent :D
    I would expect the bike to be in near showroom condition. No abnormal wear, High mileage, or any other indications of extreme use. A quality restoration would fall into this group. Basically a show piece.
    Price: What ever someone is willing to pay

Condition: Very good :)
    I would expect this bike to be in real good RUNNING shape with current registration, and full documentation. No repairs, or maintenace needed. Basically a get on the bike, and ride deal.
    Price: $1000 - $1200

Condition: Good
    A running bike that is not in perfect condition. It may have some problems or maintenance items that need to be taken care of. This could cost around $800 - $1000 just to get it to a basic level of being safe. A good daily rider.
    Price: $400- $800 depending on the amount of repairs needed.

Condition: Fair
    A non-running bike, or a badly abused/neglected running bike that for whatever reason is going to need work to get it running, and road worthy again. The bike will need a good going through to check everything before it can be safely ridden. This could cost over a $1000 depending on the problems.
    Price: $0 - $400 once again depending on what repairs are needed.

Condition: Poor :(
    A poor unfortunate bike that has been seriously abused/neglected. It will usually have parts missing, bad paint, torn seat. Your basic junkyard refugee.
    Price: $0 - However low I can get it for.

Condition: Parts :cry:
    It has been give a bum rap. someone has already started striping it, or the motor is dead. It could be in any condition from a complete bike to a stripped carcase.
    Price: $0 - lowest possible price.

Now lets look at what you have to offer, and I mean absolutely no offense.

At $1800 I would not even take the time to look at it. 8O
    I can already assume that the tires/brakes/carbs/electrical are already going to have to be looked at "simply because it sat for a few years". Sitting is the worst thing possible for these bikes. Tires dry rot. Brake seals, and lines get outdated. Carbs get gummed up. Electrical corrodes.

There was a reason it was left sitting. Maybe it wasn't running good. Possibly other problems. I can easily figure that the bike will cost around $800 to make it top notch again.

At $1200 I would be on the bottom side of breaking even if I was lucky. Not much room for enjoyment left. Getting it running good would be an absolute must. Rock solid compression numbers, and maitenance records would go a long way.

If there is a title. It can always be fixed up, and given a new lease on life. I have one, or two of those now. This bike would most likely be a complete frame up resto project. That is talking big $$$ :(

If you are at all serious about selling. I would be interested in talking! Particularly about the second bike.

How about some pics of these bikes. We all like pics. :D

Ghost

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Excellent write-up, MiGhost.

Actually, it's very much in line with the 'paid for" amounts on the XJ900RK Seca Database.

Dave Fox