1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front brake issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pbergin, Jul 12, 2012.

1. pbergin

pbergin Member

I've been having a devil of a time with my front brake. It was dragging so I rebuilt the master cylinder... no luck. I had the caliper completely rebuilt... still no dice. I have no idea where to turn next.

I bought new pads, and put them on the caliper. They are correctly installed as best as I can see... there's only one way they can go... but there's no way that thing is going to fit around the rotor. The opening is just too small, and this is with the piston completely retracted.

I even tried putting the old pads back on, still no luck. I don't get it.

What am I missing here?

2. kardoktor

kardoktor New Member

is the piston in properly?

3. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

I use the right size C-clamp to compress the piston in all the way.

Also, check the master cylinder. Inside the M/C is a little hole that must be clear. It looks like someone started to drill a hole then stopped. Make sure it isnt plugged up.

4. Super

If you have the correct pads and they wont fit over the rotor, then your piston is not retracted fully.

And if you rebuilt the caliper, is should not be necessary to use any tools, clamps etc to push the piston into the bore. If it is too tight, then something is wrong, wrong seals, or more likely, there is still crud in the seal bore.

5. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

I agree with this. I read it somewhere around here before. If there is'nt any fluid to compress during a rebuild then it should've slid right in. You will likely need a tool to compress if you currently have fluid in the caliper and everything is hooked up.

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

If the master cylinder is clean and the caliper is clean and both are correctly rebuilt , the hose could be swelled internally and not letting the fluid back up the hose into the master cylinder. Replace the hose if more than 4 years old. There should be a date code on it.

MN

7. pbergin

pbergin Member

The piston is fully retracted. I really Don't get it, I shouldn't have to finesse the thing somehow to get it on the disk, right?

Standard parts should work shoudn't they?

8. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    I think we need a pic on this one.

If the piston is fully retracted into the cailper. It should fit somewhat loose over the disc. Even with new pads. Unless there is something keeping the pads from seating in the caliper properly.

Ghost

9. pbergin

pbergin Member

Pictures are attached.

The opening between the pads is too small, I can't fit the caliper over the disk. This worked before, and I had the caliper rebuilt by a well respected motorcycle mechanic.

It appears to me that the piston is fully retracted.

Attached Files:

10. Super

Your piston is not close to being seated. It needs to be pressed back into the bore. It should go back easily if it was rebuilt properly, otherwise, take it back to the rebuilder.

11. pbergin

pbergin Member

OK, does anyone have a picture of what the thing is supposed to look like fully retracted? I guess I need to show the mechanic.

12. pbergin

pbergin Member

That was it all right! I took the caliper back to the mechanic, and he said "'Dat don' look right!!!" :)) He pushed it back in where it belonged and the caliper installed perfectly.

Thanks again guys!!

13. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Glad you're all set now!