1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing Tire XJ650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by radiculopathy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

I am going to buy a front tire (Continental Go Conti) and will remove my front wheel. I don't plan on changing it myself. Do I need to go to a motorcycle shop to have it mounted or can generic tire shops mount motorcycle tires? Thanks.

2. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

I don't think your average tire shops mounting machine/balancer will work with a motorcycle wheel. Also the bike shops (independently owned places, dealers will charge way more) around here charge less to change a tire than the auto places do. So I would go with the bike shop.

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

You will need to find a motorcycle shop that has a machine. You can buy spoons to remove the tire yourself but the rim can get damaged if you are not careful. It will also need to be balanced anyway. Might as well find a shop that can do the job.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

SOME automotive tire shops (usually large independents) do have motorcycle tire facilities, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Call around; pricing varies wildly for mounting/spin balancing.

5. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

Yeah, I will call around. One shop I spoke with said the charge $50 for mounting a new tire. Seemed a bit steep to me.

One more thing: What should I look for in a new tire? I'm just getting the front tire for my XJ650H. With so many choices on the market, not really sure how to make my choice. They all sort of seem the same on paper... This is the one I was considering:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... =Cart_Item

6. kphenix

kphenix New Member

Personally I would go with a road tire, more traction on the front, rather a street tire. I had one on my 650j and after a month i put a road tire back on the front and gave the other to a friend with a crotch rocket. It is a personal choice in the end.

7. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

what do road tires look like in comparison to street tires?

8. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

road tires look more like car tire I have road on my 650 maxim and street tires on my 750 seca. But like kphenix says its mostly a preference thing either is fine for most people.
    this is a road tire http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ21808

9. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Tires designed for street bikes have a more aggressive tread pattern for cornering, while a cruiser (road) tire is designed for more straight line stability and long distance comfort. They usually last a little longer also, especially if you don't ride in the twisties often.

Just about any MC shop around here will charge you a half hour labor (about $35) to mount and balance a tire, parts included. That's if the rim is off the bike.

$50 just means they are either charging $100/hour labor, or they are charging for 45 minutes instead of 30 @ $70/hr

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i guess changing your own tires is becoming a lost art

11. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

it seems like people can change them relatively easily. but sounds like balanching them, people feel like they need a shop...

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you could get one of these ebay
    or make one yourself

13. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

how do these work? I would consider doing it myself. Especially since that $35 is what I'd be paying the shop anyways. And I'd then come out of it with a new tool...

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You can do the job yourself.
    Even WITH proper Manual Tools; the job can be very aggravating.
    Getting the Old Tire OFF can be a fight-'n-a-half!

As the frustration factor grows and you become angry; the tendency to do harm to the Tire of Rim grows.

Seems like such a simple thing to do.
    But, it takes some doing to Mount a Tire.

Out-sourcing the chore avoids the high blood pressure.

15. wizard

wizard Active Member

Take them to the shop, no brainer.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

remember, there's no shame in admitting you can't do it

17. wizard

wizard Active Member

And there is no excuse for telling someone they are not clever enough to do the impossible.

18. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Yep, take them to a motorcycle shop, not an auto shop.

Odds are the auto shop wouldn't have the right machine, balancer, wheel weights, or valve stems.

As for the conti go's, I LOVE them. I put them on about 3k ago and WOW, soooooo nice.

I first tried thinkin I would try changing them myself, but the furthest that I got was breaking the beads using a 2x4 lever/car.

Then I took the wheels to the mc shop and he took the old ones off the rims, and then I asked if I could clean up the rims. I picked em back up because the inside of the rim was crazy dirty with caked on shit. Then I scotchbrited all the stuff off and then wetsanded the rims with 1000/2000 grit to make them super smooth. Took a long time and made my fingers sore as a mofo but having tired that don't lose air is so nice.

19. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Yep, take them to a motorcycle shop, not an auto shop.

Odds are the auto shop wouldn't have the right machine, balancer, wheel weights, or valve stems.

As for the conti go's, I LOVE them. I put them on about 3k ago and WOW, soooooo nice.

I first tried thinkin I would try changing them myself, but the furthest that I got was breaking the beads using a 2x4 lever/car.

Then I took the wheels to the mc shop and he took the old ones off the rims, and then I asked if I could clean up the rims. I picked em back up because the inside of the rim was crazy dirty with caked on shit. Then I scotchbrited all the stuff off and then wetsanded the rims with 1000/2000 grit to make them super smooth. Took a long time and made my fingers sore as a mofo but having tired that don't lose air is so nice.

As for the cost, it was 65 for him to dismount the old ones, mount and balance the new ones, and new valve stems.