1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stuck Clutch?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by rgadams22, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rgadams22

rgadams22 New Member

Hi, first I would like to introduce myself as I am new to this site. My name is Rob and I have a 81 XJ750 Seca. I bought the bike about a month ago and have so far done a few visual mods and completely re-wired the bike. I will start a thread when i get the time, but in the mean time I have a question:

Last night I rode my bike to work with no problems. When I left I sat on my bike and pulled the clutch lever (it was left in gear) and it went limp. I noticed that my clutch cable had snapped. I figured that it finally gave because of the age. I decided to reach down to release the clutch by hand and noticed that it wouldnt budge. Ive never worked on a bike but i am mechanically inclined so its my understanding that the clutch plates are stuck together. Has anybody experienced this problem?

I purchased a new clutch cable today and i will be going back up to my work early in the morning tomorrow to try to fix the problem. My plan is to try to get the bike in neutral, start it and rev the motor to try to break the plates free. If that doesnt work then I will remove the clutch cover and try to pry the plates apart and clean them up while I'm in there. Im hoping one of these will fix the problem so I can at least get it home and fix the problem for good. Any insight or experience with this problem would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to be thorough with the situation to help diagnose it.

Thanks, Rob

2. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Welcome to the site Rob and congrats on your new to you XJ.

The force required to operate the clutch lever is really quite a lot, and likely more than you would be able to apply with your fingers reaching down. If your clutch was fine before the cable broke then that is likely all that is wrong. If it is stuck your second idea is a good one.

Almost without fail these bikes have been neglected and things like cables, hoses, brakes, carbs, valves, electrical, and most maintenance needs attention. This site and the advice you will get is better than any I have found at any other forum. So start searching and reading and you will get that classic into top shape!

3. rgadams22

rgadams22 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the fast reply!

I was unaware if i could/could not release the clutch by hand so this is good to hear!! Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope its just the cable so i can enjoy the rest of my day off on a long ride up the mountains!

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member