1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Blown engine

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DarkSideOfTheMoon, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DarkSideOfTheMoon

DarkSideOfTheMoon New Member

I found this forum today whilst searching for a replacement engine online.

Thought I would share the aftermath of my engine having a hissy fit a few weeks ago. I was doing 110KPH when this happened. The bike is still in the country, it gets loaded on a truck tomorrow for it's return to the city. Hopefully then I can discover what let go inside. From the damage, I reckon it threw a rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike is a 1991 XJ600s Seca II

2. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

It doesn't look like you threw a rod as it still looks like it's together. I think some other part came loose and got wedged between the case and the rod.

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Too bad you are so far away , I happen to have an 82 1100 Maxim engine you could rebuild. Not sure if will fit though

MN

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You need the exact same engine (from a variety of years)

Your rod broke in half (my guess)

While swapping motors, you could polish your carb slider bores (clunk test) and check float levels.

5. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

Little JB Weld and you'll be good as new.

6. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

I think that is a Seca II, so there is a lot less to choose from than we may think.

7. DarkSideOfTheMoon

DarkSideOfTheMoon New Member

It is a 1991 Seca II

8. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

He needs it that motor is history. I'm with Time, rod broke in half or snapped at the wrist pin.

10. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

If I see what I think I see in the second pic, I would get a lawyer. I see what looks like a broken rod! This is one part that should be garrenteed for the life of the engine. That rod was/is defective. And Yamaha should be held liable.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a view that you're supposed to have of that engine. I'd dig around at the local swap meets, chat it up with a few of the vendors and you might fall into an engine for nothing or next to nothing.

Steve, it may well "should be guaranteed for the life", but it isn't, wasn't and I seriously doubt that he's even find a lawyer willing to take on a liability/neglegence case for a 30+ year old machine.....at least not without a nice, thick retainer.....in other words, on his dime, not a "he gets paid only if we win"

Then there is the whole right or wrong thing and my personal opinion is that it would be worse then wrong....to me. Trying to sue a firm in this situation would show a severe lack of ethics on the part of the claimant. Sometimes life sucks, but you don't try to make someone else responsible for it, you suck it up and deal with it.......

jeff

12. moellear

moellear Member

Oh boy Jeff, you got me hooked man. I almost want to put this quote into my signature <LOL>

Just think, if all the crooked politicians and criminals would live by these words would we seriously be in the situation America is right now?

Sorry to go off topic & all... but with the damn annoying election commercials on T.V. 24/7 now, it gets rather annoying. Its so much easier to point the finger at someone else isn't...I asked dad, "why can't a running candidate display one commercial about how they will make changes rather than just blame someone else?" He says they would run out of positive things to say about themselves. makes sense.

again, sorry to go totally off topic guys but I was thinking politics the moment I read your last statement Jeff :)