1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What speeds does your bike see?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ryancdossey, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Just curious what you guys generally do/how you ride. Anyone do any track days? I know I've seen some of you guys that do 90 :twisted: at times. Others that don't seem to trust their bike over 50mph. Everyone has their different style of riding.

2. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

I mostly just cruise for an hour or seven. I do like to crank the revs and push it over the top of the speedo once in a while just because.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

For me, I use my XJs for both commuting and pleasure riding/touring, etc.

When commuting, I generally ride "5-over" (Michigan tradition) except when rolling with traffic on the freeway in which case it's generally 80-ish.

When out for a romp in the country, where I live, I generally cruise at around 75~80mph "out in the open" or around 60~62mph in more populated areas. I've been known to break 90+ passing a car...

4. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Keep the answers coming! Anyone topped their bike out? Any track guys?

5. Ross1

Ross1 Member

I have been known to travel south in Rte. 81 for twenty or thirty miles,looking for the armed tax collectors (with the red light bars on the roof),turn around and cruise back north at or near red line in 5th gear.? mph.
    'Course I check tire pressure before going out and know the road well.
    I'd swear there was a chart with rpm/mph some where @ XJBikes, must be using the wrong search criteria.
    Around town posted speed + 5%. Local drivers are horrible (either retired or college students in expensive cars their parents bought them,or worse yet paid for out of their med school loans).

6. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

At those types of speeds hows the handling? Still pretty sturdy?

7. Recoil87

Recoil87 Member

I took the Ortega Hwy in Orange County the other day and it takes turns well...50-60 loving all the revs...Did some peg scrapping and had some fun...
    On the hwy way I got some issues with bogging so I stick to the
    70 mph zone.

8. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

My bike probably sees 85+ once a day on my way to work. I generally cruise on the freeway around 75-80 and normally 10-15mph over on any "side" roads. In town I play by the rules. In traffic I play by the rules.

Am I the only one that the more I ride the more I hate driving in my car?

9. moellear

moellear Member

Nope; I have driven a four wheel vehicle in over a week. The beautiful high-pressure weather over Ohio region has been a blessing

10. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

I was driving somewhere and had to take my car (guitar equipment with me) and was frustrated that I couln't lean turns. Lol

11. slowboattochina

slowboattochina Member

Speedo only goes to 85 but I would imagine in excess of 100.

12. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

I am thankful mine goes up to 140mph. Normally seeing how fast I am going is what slows me down. :wink:

13. Captain_Panic

Captain_Panic Member

I have hit 80 a few times on the highway, but i don't really enjoy going that fast. 5 over is the norm here in Ohio too, so I stick to that, and just enjoy the ride.

14. slowboattochina

slowboattochina Member

By no means is 100mph the norm, just how fast I believe the bike has gone. My norm is 5-10 over depending on the road and traffic conditions.

15. wazimoto

wazimoto Member

I normally cruise at ~5 over and just enjoy the ride..

But my brother on his 83 midnight maxim can coax me into twisting the throttle a bit more from time to time out on some country roads we grew up on and know like the back of our hands.

He got an '03 cbr1100xx ( 8O ) a few months ago and when i was probably around 7k rpm in 5th gear he said we were going 135 on his speedo. Pretty sure that's the fastest my bike has gone, at least as long as I have been the owner.

16. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Generally I go 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. Occasionally I have pushed the bike to its limit (about 130 ish) on a road I know really well with little to no traffic.(that was on my wife'a XJ1100)

17. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Pretty close to the speed limit. Or with traffic. Been up in triple digits. No desire anymore. Ps I did get a speeding ticket in my car for 135 in a 55. No fun

18. KPXJ750

KPXJ750 New Member

The roads here in NZ have a limit of 100kph (roughly 62 mph) but I've had the old boy up at 150kph (93 mph) on a quiet straight road, haven't dared push him more than this! Round town I do the speed limit and generally out on the highway (100kph) I'll do about 110kph

19. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Certainly not. I've been at this (street riding) for more than twice as long as you've been on the planet, and I still feel that way. Every day.

The ONLY solace is a car that's fun to drive all the time.

I've actually been known to sit on my bike and make vroom-vroom sounds when it gets too much to bear (like in mid-February.)

I swear it (motorcycling) really does get into your blood and won't go away. Ever (if you're lucky.)

20. ken007

ken007 Member

i stick to the limit here most of the time, im sure cops have a quota to fill each day and i only ever see them on the bike,but i have a couple of spots where i like to give it a serve to blow out the cobwabs, as fitz said if it gets in your blood its all you want to do, a friend of mine has 6 bikes and hes lucky to go riding once a month, its not in his blood, hes just as content to go shopping, one thing ive found ,have a good supply of consumables, gaskets etc, nothing worse than no riding because your waiting for something in the mail, make sure they are all the correct ones, missed out on a ride once for 3 weeks waiting for a replacement gasket after the wrong one sent. it was pure misery,good to have a good spare bike aswell, time for a ride, bye