1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drilling out jets

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AlexDonaghue, Aug 24, 2012.

1. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

Ive been trying to drill out a jet for 2 hours now does anybody have any suggestions?

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Pilot jet or main jet?

3. mook1al

mook1al Member

First off, why are you trying to drill them out?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Are you using a sharp drill?

5. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

The jet that lets out the fuel when you do the float adjustment on the out side is what im trying to drill out. I soaked the whole thing in carb cleaner to see if it would loosen it but it wouldnt budge. Now im trying to drill it out any im having no luck

6. MN-Maxims

Think he has a stuck jet and he is trying to drill it with out destroying the threads. If this is the case you should post a picture of what's going on.

MN

7. MN-Maxims

Oh you are trying to drill out the brass seat for the float?

8. mook1al

mook1al Member

Soaking it in carb cleaner will not loosen it for removal. You will need to soak it with a penetrating lube like Kroil or the like. Then, if you can get a bite on it with a tool, give it a sharp rasp with a hammer, then try tightening just a smidge and then loosen. If you have already round off the head, then you will have to drill it out and use an ease out.

9. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

This is what ive been doing for the last two hours...i fell like im too far gone on this piece and it damaged.

Attached Files:

10. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

I havnt hit the thread portion but I fell like that jet is fused with the threads and i made it worse

Attached Files:

11. MN-Maxims

That would be your float bowl drain screw. There is a sticky on that. Click on forums, then XJ Chat. Up on the top you will see a thread on removing stuck bowl drain screws.

12. Recoil87

Recoil87 Member

Yo man that is the carb drain screw...not a jet! I would run down to the local hardware store and pick up a drill and tap for removal...or like mentioned before try soaking the bowl in Kroil or penitrating lube...leave it soaking for overbite and try again in the morning...

13. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

Haha sorry was to frustrated didnt bother to look up what the name was. I will go through the fourm and try all you guys said thanks.

14. mook1al

mook1al Member

How did you come out on this? Mine were the same was on 2 carb bowls. I knew I was going to have to drill them out, so I bought 4 new stainless one's from Chacal. When I got them, I took out my drill bit kit, unscrewed one of the screws that were not stuck to find the largest drill bit that would fit without sitting the threads. Sorry I do not remember the size or I would relay that info. I then bought an ease out kit that comes with various size ease outs and associated drill bits. I then took the smallest drill bit I had, and drilled a starter hole in the screw. There were only about 2 bits smaller than the smallest ease out bit and associated drill bit with the kit, and the smallest ease out is all it took to get mine out. After I drilled the screws out to the size needed for the ease out, I again let it soak in penetrating oil overnight. The next day, the screws came out first try. If you do not feel good about doing this, then I suggest taking them to a machine shop to have them removed.

15. wilddog

wilddog New Member

All four of mine were stuck. I got two out with heat and candle wax, the other two I used a left hand drill and extractor get out.

16. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Here is a tip which I've repeated several times, when you have a steel bolt, screw, fastener or plug that is surrounded by the noble metal we call Aluminum, all that is really needed is to gently heat the Aluminum around the offending fastener with a propane torch. The Aluminum expands faster than the Steel and it should unscrew quite easily. On something small like the bowl drain valve, Harbor Freight has a nice little torch that would work just fine for the job.

17. AlexDonaghue

AlexDonaghue Member

Yea i was finally able to get them out with the drill extractor, thanks for all the help guys

18. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I use a really small welding tip, like 0 or 1. I heat the bolt, which makes it move against the aluminum breaking the bond. Small but hot flame of the welding tip allows me to head a small area fast without setting everything else around me on fire.