1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Completely new to bikes, quick question?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by saab900, Dec 1, 2011.

1. saab900

saab900 New Member

Ohhh My bad I gotcha on the signature info! I have a compression tester, but I need to track down a good battery.. I also need advice on how to attach the battery and what wires need properly routed for the engine to start, cause I have a mess of wires.. sorry I know that was incredibly general but im workin with the knowledge I have at this point which is very little.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Finding a manual for your bike will present a challenge.

PM me with your email address; we can exchange info so I can mail you a copy on CD.

3. mjk120

mjk120 New Member

Im in the same boat as yourself, just recently aquired an 81 or 82 Yamaha Seca Turbo xj650 for free it also has been exposed to the elements but I do not have a key to see if I can get it to turn over. I was hesitant at first to post anything but everyone on here seems extremly helpful which is comforting. This is my fiery bike as well. So how is your bike coming along. What have you done to it so far.

4. saab900

saab900 New Member

Thanks so much for sending the manual!!! I really appreciate it!

So I have been fairly preoccupied with my Saab 900 lately as it actually runs reliably now! It just doesn't stop... haha

Back to the bike! I have a job now with the local transit driving buses and Ima pick up my first check on Monday ad get a battery to try and start her up! Any suggestions on batteries? Any specific size or anything I need to get for this bike?

Ill take some pictures tomorrow but I have a few hoses one of which I know was an oil line (because when I moved it all the oil dripped out of it into the trunk of my car) that are not attached to anything, just hanging out by themselves.

I DON'T have an air box so I assume that is what some of the lines go to, if I dont plan on running an air box, just filters what should I do with these lines?

Also since the engine obviously has no oil cause it was all in the carpet of the trunk of my car, what kind of oil does this thing take?

Now for some exciting stuff, cause pictures are always more interesting than words :p

Stripped the frame down a bit more to get an idea of what Im working with and what I can do with it!
    [​IMG]

Id love to do a wider rear wheel but I do not see how that would be easily accomplished.

Random though, im thinking I kinda want a Seca gas tank! haha Id have to see it on just the bare frame though.

Only other question I can think of is how much different would the ride be with the shock/spring as opposed to if I put a solid link in its place to make an impromptu hard tail?

Thanks guys!
    Alex

5. saab900

saab900 New Member

Fiddled with it a little bit today, was able to get the starter to turn by jumping the wire straight to the positive on the battery but the battery only had 10 volts on it. I found the fuse box and realized the main fuse (20 volt) is missing and one side is broken in half, but if I put the two leads together I was able to turn the key and have the dash light up.

Guess once I get a car I can drive the next step with the bike will be to try and charge the battery up ad wire up a temp solution for the fuse until I can fix it right.

Still unsure about where most of the free hoses go so any advice on where to look in the manual or where to start with those will be most helpful.

On a side note I got an old gas tank from a buddie and was fiddilin with the mounting f the rear fender and I think im starting to get an idea of what I want the bike to look like! (I know that doesnt get me any closer to driving but its entertaining!) Ill snag some pictures tomorrow. One option I think would be pretty interesting is extending the swing arm but that is a long term idea and I would be much more interested in widening it so I could run a wider rear wheel but as I said that is a bit out there and not really feasible at this point.

6. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    The XS400 is super simple as far as hoses. you will have the following
    1. Crankcase to airbox. This will be the hose that the oil drained out of. Right side, rear of engine.
    3. Vacuum port on left intake boot/joint to front petcock port
    3. Rear petcock port to carb fuel inlet.
    4. Air box vent to right side of bike.
    5? I am not sure if the bike uses the camshaft cover vent to airbox hose. Not shown on the schematic

You can view the part schematics at the following. Gave you the air cleaner to make it easier to get to. The others are in the pull down list at the top of the pic.
    http://www.yamahapartshouse.net/pages/O ... MOTORCYCLE)/AIR_CLEANER_(XS400J_-_1982)

Complete parts list schematic in PDF format.
    http://www.ytcn.nl/archief/Archief/Yama ... XS400J.PDF

Ghost

7. saab900

saab900 New Member

What should I do about the hoses that go to the air box since I don't have one and Don't plan on getting one? And is the black plastic screw on the fight side of the engine where you fill the oil?

Oh and the old gas tank has 2 nipples and I can clearly see what hoses they go to, if I wanted to fit a diff gas tank that only had one nipple any advice on that?

8. redsix

redsix Member

9. jeffcoslacker

jeffcoslacker Member

Far as mileage, woth cars I can usually tell when an odometer is bogus low reading, little things like wear on the corner of the brake pedal pad, door hinge slop, etc.

Far as bikes go, first thing I think of is peg rubber wear...at 3000 miles there should be virtually none...

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

On the 3,000 miles, do your footpegs look worn, and does your brake rotor have any grooves or visible wear ??
    Are the tires original, and 1/2 worn ??

11. saab900

saab900 New Member

So the best way I know how to start is with a dumb question. Here is the carbs that have spent plenty of time exposed to the elements.
    [​IMG]
    Now I assume that those pistons inside are supposed to move when the throttle gets moved? All the linkages seem to move outside the carbs but nothing inside moves when I pull the throttles.

Now onto minor progress, got the battery charged, the 20a fuse temporarily fixed, and she cranks! Got some gas and put the gas tank on filled her up, and gas started spilling out of the carbs after a minute or two, some fiddling with the switches and such and I tried starting it but no luck and drained the battery enough that it doesnt really want to crank anymore.. so I guess my question is whats my next step? rebuild the carbs? charge the battery and try and start her again? There is a hole in the gas tank so I want to figure the new tank out before I try and start her again. My buddy told me the reason for that was so it only pulled gas when there id vacuum. The tank I want to fit only has one nipple so which of these do I need to block off to block off/disable this feature and use a different tank?
    [​IMG]

To continue the mileage conversation here is the right side front foot pegs..
    [​IMG]

Rear right foot pegs..
    [​IMG]

Front brake pads..
    [​IMG]

Front brake disc..
    [​IMG]

And my last question, since I am probably not going to use/get a stock air box what should I do with this oil hose? Can I just block it off or do I have to re-route it somewhere?
    [​IMG]

And as a thank you to all those that read that awfully long post here is the new tank and a quick mock up of the rear fender!
    [​IMG]

Looks like this thing might actually be taking shape faster than I was expecting! Thanks again for all the help!

12. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

The pistons are vacuum operated there is a butterfly on the other side of the carb that moves with the throttle cable.
    Those carbs are going to need to go to the church of clean
    The hose that comes from the carb to engine boot will have to be blocked off. you can get a cap for the nipple the hose is currently hooked to.
    You can get a little cone filter for the crankcase breather hose. Don't block it, it needs to breath.

13. saab900

saab900 New Member

Sorry for the ignorance but is it the smaller or larger of the hoses that goes to the tank the one that needs to be blocked off? Crank case breather hose is the big hose on the right that goes to the air box?

14. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

smaller hose needs to be blocked. crank case breather is the big hose on the right that goes to the airbox.

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I think you have a 3,000 mile bike !

Get a small fuel filter when you get your breather filter and a foot of new fuel line.

16. saab900

saab900 New Member

Again pardon the new ignorance but why do I need a foot of new fuel line?

17. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

There have been 4 members here burst into flames - one guy lost his garage, and it's a dollar. Technically you don't "NEED" new fuel line.

18. mook1al

mook1al Member

It's 30 years old...and cheap insurance...get some...

19. saab900

saab900 New Member

Couldn't sleep so gave a quick shop a shot for an idea of what the finished product might look like long time from now.
    [​IMG]

20. saab900

saab900 New Member

SO I need to start from the beggining.. How do you start the bike? I know the key and the start button but what do I have to do with the turny thing on the gas tank? Do I have to chocke it or anything like that? The manual I have doesnt have anything as simple as starting procedures.. and I have no idea what I am doing lol