1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine smoking.. Coming from the oil / air filter

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by readlee, Aug 27, 2012.

1. readlee

readlee New Member

Hi all, I hope you are all well. I am really making progress on my xj750 82. I'm no mechanic, but my bike is smoking one hot. I thought maybe the oil cooler was flocked and not working. FIY I have but 10/40 part synthetic motor oil and engine flush in it, as the engine stood for sometime. I was running that through, but the like I said, the engine smoke when idle.

Would full synthetic motorbike oil make a difference, I was going to do another oil change anyway. Motorcar oil is easily available and cheaper.. Is that what is making the bike smoke? Will it stop if I change to motorcycle oil.

(this is feels like I am asking a stupid question)

Cheers fellas / lasses

2. smurf667

smurf667 Member

DON'T use Car oil as it has too many anti friction additives in it, and it plays havoc with your clutch and starter clutch,

You must use JA spec motorbike oil my friend, it is readily available, as somebody like Bigfitz will tell you when he comes along.

Motorbike oil = Good
    Car oil = big problems, definite no no

3. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

Here's my thoughts...
    The engine flush, while it serves a purpose needs to come out immediately. It thins your oil out too much (probably the reason for the smoke) and takes away the primary purpose of the oil, Lubrication.

Suggestion...Warm up engine and Drain what you have in it now, buy a cheap auto (store brand) oil SAE 20/50 and fill your crankcase. then run bike for 5 to 10 minutes maybe a slow 20-30 MPH ride around the block to ensure good circulation then drain it again to get the rest of the Motor Flush out. Then do a complete Oil Change with filter and use real non synthetic Motorcycle oil 20/50...

Cheers

4. Recoil87

Recoil87 Member

yea man get some good 4 stroke oil in it run down to autozone its like 5 bucks a quart but well worth it...Remember we have WET CLUTCHES...lube is really needed...car oil just doesnt cut it...