1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm in love.. with an older woman ;)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by widerisbetter97gt, Aug 27, 2012.

1. widerisbetter97gt

widerisbetter97gt New Member

Hi, my name is Dan. I'm 26 and this April I bought my first bike, an 82 Maxim 550 with 12K miles for $800 on craigslist. It didn't run, and the owner said he thought it needed a rectifier/regulator so after that, a new battery and starter solenoid she starts and runs fantastic. Lucky for me he had the carbs rebuilt and then used stabil over the winter. I put new tires on and here I am, 1800 miles later and I love this machine. Looks amazing, runs amazing, sounds amazing.. especialy in a carwash bay or somewhere with an echo.. just great. I'm new to riding but it seems to me it handles a little odd.. kinda wobley sometimes. Maybe a worn fork bearing or wheel bearings could be to blame? I've also been told worn shocks can do it but I wonder sometimes if its just how a 30 year old bike handles. In any case this bike is wonderful and I'm glad there's plenty of people out there who agree :)

2. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

welcome, pics, gotta see them, hahaha!!!

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

hey now!! you cant have a title like that without any pics!!! Ban him!!!

4. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

I'm going to ask for pics as well. Get us all excited....

5. mtnbikecrazy55

the head tube bearings get mishapen and can cause funky handling issues - replace them with some tapered roller bearings and you'll be set for the lifetime of the bike

6. widerisbetter97gt

widerisbetter97gt New Member

Sounds like a plan. I noticed when I had the front wheel off, the handle bars would return to center without much help from me.. my dad said the bearing gets most of it's abuse with the bars straight so its got a groove there now and should be replaced. Good to know there's an upgrade for it and even better to know it could improve handeling.. which has been my only concern with this bike, thank you. I got a picture in my gallery too..

7. mtnbikecrazy55

YES. Steering notch is dangerous and should be attended to immediately. Mine did the same thing when I bought it.

New tapered rollers/races/seals are only around 40.00 from len, which you can order by emailing info@xj4ever.com (without the spaces)

Get wrenchin! :)

8. 99R3gal

99R3gal New Member

Welcome and I'm guessing by the name that you are also from the W-body community?