1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wider than a Big Bike?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by day7a1, Sep 1, 2012.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

So I've been looking around at getting a new bike, I expect to have a 100 mi each way commute in about a year (Graduate Program in another city).

I'm looking at the Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Sprint ST, and the Honda NT700V. There are other fine options, but not for me for various reasons.

The thing I don't get is, all 3 of these "Touring" bikes have a published width of 30", while my naked XJ650J has a published with of nearly 34"!

Are these numbers to be believed? (In SoCal, width is a important deciding factor, once I'm in school I'll still want something fairly nimble.)

I'm strongly leaning towards the FJR, 2008, due to the fact that it's a Yamaha (easy to work on, inexpensive parts, lots of mechanics for things I may not have the time to work on). I like the ABS, but know the other 2 would get better gas mileage.

Any thoughts on these 3 bikes?

2. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Width is usually determined by the handlebars; different bikes, different bars.

As far as your 3 bikes, they're all good but different - don't know why you are targeting such different bikes, but... Since you're already involved in going to grad school, anticipating a 200 mi commute (i.e., given any bike is not the most economical, comfortable, combative (dueling with other commuter cages) vehicle), and looking at relatively pricey NEW bikes - you already have some "deep pockets" to play with. Get any one of them and try it out; if it doesn't work out, sell it and get something else.

If you want to get a good, quick idea of how your ergos would be on a particular bike, go to Cycle Ergo, select a bike of interest, plug in your dimensions.

Since you only indicated road bikes as interest items, there are lots of opinions on the 3 you mention (plus many more) on the AdvRiders Road Warriors forum.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Of the three bikes mentioned, only the Honda seems to have any potential as a commuter. Both the FJR and Triumph are big-bore touring bikes; relatively heavy, fast and comfortable, yes, but I don't know how economical they'd be.

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The FJR gets 42 MPG, fast hwy, a has vast, excess amounts of power. The ABS gives confidence in stopping for a light in the rain. It has "rent-a-car" reliability.

Gripes - my knees hit the lower fairings when stopped, and shifting the tranny feels "stout and clunky" rather than "smooth and buttery".
    I don't plan on selling it.

5. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I see I wasn't clear on some things! By "New" bike, I mean new to me. I'm looking at 2008 for the Yamaha and Triumph, and 2010, by default, for the Honda.

I wish I had 15 g's to drop on a commuter! I had to go back to my post to figure out why on earth you thought that?! By the time I'll be purchasing them, I expect them to be going for around $6k-8k...granted, 10x more than my xj, but not absurd.

Plus...I won't be in SoCal for the commuting...long open Interstate 70 in good old Missouri.

I love that ergo's website...pretty amazing stuff!

Fitz, you are correct that the Honda would get better mileage...but you have to look at how much. The Yamaha gets, according to fuelly.com, 6.0L/100km (sorry 'bout the metric, but it's easier math!), Honda: 5L/100km. I estimate 320 km, 3x per week, or 960 km per week, 4 weeks a month, 8 months a year, for 15360 per year....lets just say 15k.
    For the FJR, thats 6*15000/100...for the Honda 5*15000/100. 900 vs 750...150 more Liters per year....or 40 gallons. At $4 per gal, that $160 per year....I think I'll go for the comfort and power, and the extra space for the wife!

To be honest, the Honda's never appealed to me...any of them, not sure why? I think I'll be very happy with my second Yamaha, though...maybe when I'm rich I'll get a Triumph Triple...I hear they are amazing.

Thanks everyone!!

6. zap2504

zap2504 Member

More clarification needed:
    Do you mean 200 mile commute/day or week, or month? How much superslab vs 2-lane? What are your ergo numbers (height, inseam, weight)? Carrying books/laptop during commute?

Have you factored-in the total operating cost of a bike running the amount of distance you're talking about (gas, tires, drive chain, etc.) as it might be more economical to rent an apartment near the school (or get a Hyundai Accent for $6-8K)? But I see that there are "extenuating" requirements in addition to commuting requirements ("I think I'll go for the comfort and power, and the extra space for the wife!").

In general, if you are travelling any longish distance on superslab then you should be looking at the 400cc-750cc range for a commuter. Smaller than that is torture on regular 200 mile slab runs; larger than that is un-necessary power and lowered mileage. 2008+ street bikes could be Suzuki SV650 (either naked or S), Suzuki GSX650R, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Yamaha FZ6, Triumph Street Triple - all dependent on ergos, budget, and any other "gotta have's". If these bikes are too small for your ergos or too much of a "racey" position, then the larger dual-sports could work - Kaw KLR650, Kaw Versys, Suz DR650, Suz DL-650 V-Strom, BMW F650 - but you would probably need to do some mods for the slab (street tires, fly screen, etc.).

Sounds like you should re-think this purchase to decide on all the requirements - you may end up getting a FJR and a Hyundai (or maybe the Hyundai now and the FJR after grad school), for different roles.

7. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Why not search out an early 2000's model FZ1? Not a true touring bike but very comfortable, power to spare, and I had a friend who could consistently get over 50mpg cruising at 70mph. They aren't very expensive either.

8. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I'm 6'1, 220, 17% body fat...pretty big dude by most accounts. I can't imagine riding that distance (100 miles each way, a few or couple times a week) on my xj, or anything that size. Hence looking for a Touring type bike. Nor can I imagine riding something as big as a Goldwing, etc.

I plan on riding in nearly all weather...on slab, as you put it.

I do have a economical car, and a place to stay that's 20 minutes, not an hour and a half, away. But my wife will want to use the car...and see me more often than on the weekends.

I have considered the associated costs...which is why the BMW's aren't on the list, nor Harley. I know Harley charges an arm and a leg for parts, and I've heard the same about Beemers.

I'll take another look at the larger dual sports...I will be carrying loads of gear...more than a backpack full, or close to it...and not really wanting to carry it all on my back, necessarily.

9. zap2504

zap2504 Member

For me (6'3", 250lb, inseam around 34") the larger dual sports fit best (Suz DL650/1000, Triumph Tigers, BMW R1200GS/F650/800GS). Lots of folks go round the world on the V-Stroms, Tigers and BMWs; lots of aftermarket support (like luggage/windshields) and real good owner forums. Good wind/weather protection will be welcomed. Also consider soft-sided luggage (both saddle bags and large tail and/or tank bags) as these are much less $$ than the racks/hard-sided cases (but you might get them from a PO too). A PackSafe net can surround any soft stuff for theft prevention, or you can just take them with you like a backback. I currently have a mid-size dual sport w/wire wheels so would prefer to get a bike with cast wheels (tubeless tires, on-road tire repairs). Shaft drive is real low maintenance, but new design chains/lubes are not so much work. If you get a V-Strom you WILL need to get heavier-duty springs/shock/front Gold Valve Emulators AND a better/higher seat (unless the PO did it for you). I know you said you ruled-out BMWs, but the F650GS (stupid naming convention; same 800cc twin engine as the 800 but cast wheels vs spoked) is a real nice ride. Here's a discussion thread between the DL650 and the F650: comparo discussion. At 6'1", you might find the "sportier" road bikes I suggested a little too cramped - especially for the distances you are contemplating. General rule of thumb is to have the seat height about the same as your inseam measurement. One last suggestion - there is a strong rumor that the Kaw Versys 1000 (now in Europe and Canada) may be coming to the US in 2013 (and it looks like it would fit me just fine!).

10. karl

karl New Member

Go for the FJR. Nice fairing and hard bags, shaft drive, ABS, heated grips... and excess HP for the highway.

11. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Yeah...I guess what I'm looking for isn't really a "commuter" in the sense that a lot of people think of it. That's what my XJ started out as. The new bike will be more like a "Second Family Vehicle", since my family is just me and my wife, it makes sense.

The more I consider it, the more the FJR seems like the best option. There's a HUGE "second buyer" discount, meaning you get a lot of bike for your money on the used market. The mileage is not significantly less. And it comes ready to go...no luggage or windscreen I have to buy, no shocks I have to install. Furthermore, as it's not just a single purpose commuter, I do need to consider other things like passenger space and "do I love it?" factor, and I just can't fall in love with the dual sports, and the wife hates them. As a second vehicle in Missouri, heated bits and ABS are nearly ESSENTIAL.

The website for the ergo's was very helpful...oddly enough...guess what has the EXACT same head and leg angles as the FJR? The XJ650. My XJ is pretty comfy for me, just needs to be a little bigger for the long trips, and more tuned to highway speeds. I know the Yamaha 4 cyl at that arm angle won't make me go numb like the Duc Monster I once test drove.

Zap...I will certainly keep an eye on the V-strom 650. Except for the ABS, it does seem to fit most of the criteria for the majority of it's use. It's significantly cheaper...but it's cheaper when new too. In fact, I've been seeing them go for $5-6k for a 2008, and that's pretty close to what they were new. What does it mean to say that it's maintained it's already low value? I really don't know.

12. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I also found it interesting that the 650 Seca seemed to have better ergos on "paper" (at least for me) than the 750 Seca since they have almost identical frames. Also give the Honda ST1300, Kaw Concourse 14, Triumph Tiger 1050 a test "fit" as the requirements now include good 2-up accommodations and all the first gen versions of these bikes can be had within your stated price points.

RE: Suz DL650 - it is a cult bike that is still being made. Is a very highly-regarded bike (as long as you fix the suspension, seat, and possibly windshield issues) that can do most things really well, last a long time, and have very low operating costs. It is still very reasonably priced even after fixing the known issues (saw a 4-part article in RoadRunner mag where the author got a BMW F650GS - older single - and did the same mods to it so it's not just the DL650 that has several known issues). If you anticipate a lot of 2-up riding, look for the DL1000 (same frame in both) for the extra torque (at the expense of mileage). For once-in-a-while 2-up, the 650 should be fine.

13. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Zap...thanks for turning me on to the wee strom....now I just have to decide if the long trips I want to go on will actually happen enough to warrant spending a few thousands of dollars more on the fjr...It's a little cheaper than I previously thought, even with the work done on it it's only about $5k. There aren't a lot of 2008's with ABS out there, but maybe the 2011's will be cheaper by the time I get around to it. Gotta get off deployment first, god only knows when that's going to happen.

I have two good options, now for my wife's input and some more math!