1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What matches from a xj550 with the xj750?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ashex, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ashex

Ashex Member

I want to replace the tank, seat, and potentially exhaust on my bike to clean up the look (tank is dented and has rush, seat is ripped, and exhaust has seen better rides). Found a guy with a '83 XJ550 Maxim, will all these parts fit my '82 XJ750 Maxim?

I'm also curious what's required if I got the headlamp.

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Not much will fit, they are two completely different bikes. The 750 has a way bigger frame and is shaft driven

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As above, none of the parts you listed will fit.

The round headlight COULD BE the "basis" for a round headlight conversion though.

4. Ashex

Ashex Member

So for those parts I would need to get them all from a 750? Nuts :(

When you say "basis" for a conversion, would you mean I'd need to create the mount myself?

5. bigfitz52

Yep. Tank, seat, exhaust from a 550 will only fit other 550s.

RE: the headlight-- Only sorta.

The 1983 750 Maxim went "back" to a round headlight with traditional round gauges. Although I'm pretty sure the bucket itself isn't exactly the same, it may be close enough to work with the '83's mounting setup.

Losing the rectangular lights, adjustable cast bars and "Atari" gauges is a popular mod for 750 Seca and early 750 Max owners.

The best place to check parts compatibility is the fiche: http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/yamaha- ... ibrand=YAM

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I think the airstem caps on the rims will interchange, and so will the air inside the tires.

Dave F

7. Ashex

Ashex Member

Bugger, thanks for the info! Regarding the round gauges, if I wanted to get those and put it on, am I looked at redoing the wiring or are the connectors/plugs compatible?

8. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

If you're lucky, you might be able to use the exhaust. In England the Motad was the same part for both bikes.

BUT - after the exhaust has rusted into place, you might not be able to spread the downpipes to match the headers without something breaking. I wouldn't buy the other bike to try though.

Other than that, er... the clutch basket and the horn ?

9. bigfitz52

NOT the clutch basket. Shaft-driven XJs have a gear as part of the clutch basket; the (chain driven) 550s do not.

The 550 in question is likely a 550 Maxim; Euro-spec XJ550s were similar to the 550 Seca here.

Other than the above mentioned bits (OK, maybe the gas cap and helmet lock, but I'm not 100% on the latter) not much else will interchange with a 750 Maxim.

In answer to OP's question; the wiring will not be plug-n-play. Yamaha did away with a bunch of "frills" in the process; you'll need to rework a few things.

10. Ashex

Ashex Member

Well damn, guess the '82 had a few one-off features? Thanks for the info guys!