1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim Engine Guards.. Anyone have one??

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by coastie550XJ, Apr 30, 2007.

1. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

Ok.. i'm looking into getting an Engine Guard for my bike.. and saw on Ebay an Maxim Engine Guard.. was wondering if anyone has one for their Maxim and if so do you like it?? and does it work well?? Thanks for your help....

2. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

FYI, this posting should be under Buy/Sell/Swap/Wanted.

3. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

ok.. sorry but i was wondering if any one had information or an opion about the engine guard not if someone had one for sale... just wondering if this is a good thing to have or not.. if these types of engine guards work or not.. thats what i want to know.. not if someone has one for sale.. thanks!

4. Altus

Altus Active Member

Engine guards are good to have - with one caveat - stay away from the two-point version of the guards. Note these images show black versions - you have to watch out because these could be repainted - I believe they came stock in chrome, but I could be wrong.

The two-point ones look like a large 'D' and connect at - you guessed it - two points. These, should you ever lay the bike down, have a habit of folding back and causing more damage than they prevent.

[​IMG]

The better three-point guards look like a bent 'E'. These are much more solid, and provide you with good places for mounting highway pegs, driving lights, etc.

[​IMG]

There are also full 'engine guards" that look like a large flattened oval that mount to the frame tubes in front of the engine and stick out both sides. I've seen them around, but not as often as the smaller ones.

[​IMG]

5. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

Ok, the ones i'm looking at are the 2 point engine guards..
    So with these, theres not any way to put highway pegs on these, or there is just not a easy way to do it..

6. Altus

Altus Active Member

Again - stay away from the 2-point ones - there's at least one set of 3-point on ebay right now - those are the ones you want.

Yes you can mount stuff to the 2-point as well :wink:

7. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

Thank you for your help, I'm going to keep looking, At least now i know what to look for.. Thank you for your help!

Lindsey

8. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

Umm question for some one to answer.. any one know if an engine guard for a Maxim 750 XJ would fit a 550??

9. B.Adams

B.Adams New Member

I have the 3-point engine guards on my Maxim 550. They work great, and the highway pegs I put on them work well too. It doesn't make the bike feel any bigger (I'm 6'4), but it makes the ride a little more comfortable than if I didn't have them.

I believe the guards will fit either both the 550 and 750.