1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm new have some questions

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Trav81, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Trav81

Trav81 New Member

So I have a 82 xj 650. She was given to be my grandfather 3 years ago in perfect running condition but now after sitting for a while since I didnt ride she prob needs some work.

She doesn't start. I take it that is from carbs getting gunked up after sitting so long.

Tank paint was pretty rough when i got it. How much would it be to get that painted? or could i paint it myself.

Wheels also show a little corrosion. Is it possible for me to fix that by sanding them down and painting or should i just leave it?

Front right blinker is cracked so I will have to get a new one.

Handle bars a bent but i want new ones anyways. prob some low ones.are low bars comfortable?.

And does anyone know where I can get a new seat but more agressive style.

2. Trav81

Trav81 New Member

Forgot to add I want a new exhaust. The stock one is way to quite for my liking

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Trav,

Welcome to the site!

Actually, all of the things you asked about are addressed here, just play with the 'search' feature and type in a topic you wish to read up on. You'll find LOADS of posts and threads to read.

Congrats on your bike....if you take the time to learn what MUST be done to put your bike back into a bullet-proof ride that will turn heads, you WILL end up with a bullet-proof bike that will turn heads, and give you lifetime of enjoyment.

Make sure that you heed what we say, DON'T take shortcuts. there are steps to follow, and the best way to do that is to be AR about it.

Dave F

4. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

5. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

aside from what has already been mentioned, consider that with straighter bars the master cylinder might not work.

just something to keep in mind.

Welcome!

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

good call mtnbikecrazy55, I just remembered that when I changed my bars, I really needed to reroute my cables, and you might even need to shorten them.

7. Trav81

Trav81 New Member

Sweet sounds like i got a good project ahead of me.. Lucky for me my bike came with the workshop manual. This might be my winter project to get this girl going again. or just pay someone to do it.

8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Gary

9. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Welcome to XJBikes Trav! Your adventure begins....

I have 'euro' style bars on my XJ550 and they are much better than stock. They don't contact my tank and I feel more confident and can 'whip' the bike better riding with them. Essentially the differences from stock are: less height (-3"), less width (-1"), less acute angle (my knuckles are almost straight ahead and hands are almost parallel to the ground).

Above is the good part. The bad is that my stock brake lines were not going to work, of course they were 31 years old (spec'ed to last for 4) so they needed to go anyway. I replaced them with new stainless steel lines; the top line had to be custom made but it was easy. The clutch cable is rerouted and could be better but it works-the 750 Seca comes with a shorter clutch cable OEM so I will be looking into that (Thanks Bigfitz). The other wires/cables just need rerouting and were 100% fine as is. No problems with the Master Cylinder.

Many sources for parts-here under for sale, and XJ4Ever, ebay, online suppliers, local junk yards-you just have to search around and be a smart buyer.

10. hogfiddles

DO NOT pay someone to do it!!!! Do it YOURSELF, jump in with both feet, and LEARN your bike. That way YOU will always know when something feels 'off' and you'll know what to do. That all being said, at this point you DON'T know, and that's ok. WE are here, so when you get stuck on some procedure, or something, you ask US, we WILL get it straight for you. Again, don't pay someone else to do it (well.....unless its another xj guru who lives near you and is willing to help you, and not a 'shop'.)

Jump into the deep end.....the water's warm and you'll enjoy the bath.

Dave F

11. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

WE ARE BORG! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! :lol:

12. 82lefrois

82lefrois New Member

hogfiddles,

I'm new with the XJ's, need some help. my starter kicks out to soon before the bike starts, eventually it finally starts, what part would i need to replace or just get a new starter ?
    I also have a collapsed ring on #4 cylinder, it running about 70psi, the others cylinders are running 120 psi. waiting for cold weather to tear down and rebuild, any ideas or hints ?

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Warning thread hijack alert! :p

Starter problem - your sprag clutch 'may' be US, but first check that a. You have a sound battery and b. you are using a specific motorcycle oil. By the way, how do you know a failed Ring is the compression culprit?

14. Trav81

Trav81 New Member

Yeah this weekend im going to dive into the restoration project. cleaning everything off start really looking at what needs to be done. Thanx for the support everyone I have a good friend help me with the carbs because I have no idea where to start and I know I will need a hand.

for bars does this site work http://www.bikemaster.com/handlebars.html
    looks like the euro bars seem good according to mercury man. I want a sportier position and it looks like these will do it.

15. hogfiddles

I'd say check the battery condition first, for the starter issue.

For the ring issue -- how do you know it's the ring? All we can go by at the moment is that 'the bike was 'in perfect running condition but now ....'

Before tearing the engine apart, do a 'Valve Shim clearance check. It is very possible that a valve is sticking open a bit, or some shims need to be swapped.

It would be nice to not have to pull the engine out if you don't need to.

Of course you're going to have to do the carbs anyway....that's a given. Do a brake overhaul too, and don't forget to check the rear brakes for delamination issues.

Keep us posted.

16. Trav81

Trav81 New Member

hey my bike was really running great before I got it.. My grandfather did alot of work and rebuilt the carbs. It only sat for a while which I think just killed the battery and also clogged up the carbs. My rings should be fine.
    The rings are for the thread jack