1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's '82 XJ750 Maxim Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ted, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Ted

Ted Member

Re: Ted's '82 XJ750 Maxim - new clutch cable, shameless pics

UH OH, the fun police has arrived!! :lol:

JK BifFitz, relax! I realize that your heart is in the right place and I respect your opinion and wealth of XJ knowledge.

Lubed clutch cable? - check!

Rain, sprinklers, car washes, and puddles in SD? - check! I can only assume this might lead to the eventual molestation, degredation, and overall dilapidation of my ignition switch. My intention is to replace & move it to a more discreet location sometime this winter.

front fender? Duely noted sir... I've actually been thinking about slapping some paint on it a putting it back on the bike but it just looks so GD cool without it! Oh, and I haven't noticed any additional play, wobbles, or strange tire-wear after having taken it off but will continue to monitor the situation.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Eventual degradation?

How about big puddle=sudden, unexpected, "degradation" or out-and-out failure?

Compare suddenly to eventual in terms of whether you want to be left standing beside the road...

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Re: Ted's '82 XJ750 Maxim - new clutch cable, shameless pics,etc

One other thing to take into consideration when relocating the ignition is how loose the key is. One member on this site stopped on the side of the road to find that his key had fallen out sometime during his ride. One good bump and it could be gone.
    I put mine on the left side between the horn and the tank. I angled it upwards after reading about that. LOL

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that's where i have my key, never had a problem but i have a fender and just the key, no ring or fancy stuff.

5. Ted

Ted Member

Do you ever have rain in PA? How about sprinklers, car washes, or puddles? :lol:

I have considered cutting a slit in a round piece of rubber and sticking the key through it or something along those lines but I'm really not to concerned about it. If I experience a sudden failure it'll only sidline me long enough to splice a couple wires and pick out a new swictch at the parts store. The key is pretty snug in there but I wouldn't be shocked if it disappeared.

In other news..

I just picked up a really nice OEM seat and a spare set of side covers from a guy on CL for $40.. the guy is also selling the tank & some other stuff if anyone else in interested I might be able to play the middle man. I'd be willing to part with a set of side covers if anyone needs 'em - just shoot me an offer. I might actually post them and some of my other factory take-off parts in the "for sale" section within the next couple of days.

*EDIT -the side covers were sold to a member!*

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/3323720110.html

No, he's not selling the 4-1 exhaust.. he's planning on making it a tracker/cafe style bike.

I've been thinking about modifying my original seat for awhile but didn't want to screw it up and be left without a seat. Now that I have a nicer replacement I'm going to tear apart the original and either just shave off some foam to get rid of the "playground slide" effect or chop the whole thing up and try to make a custom solo seat out of it.. will update soon with the result.

Cheers! 8)

6. Ted

Ted Member

A little off topic but this is my thread so what the hell, right? I finally laid down some scallops on the old ratrod mower tonight. I think they turned out pretty good for a first timer, eh? I still plan on pinstriping the outer edge of the scallops white at some point.

[​IMG]

7. mook1al

mook1al Member

Scallops?? yes they do look good...but I can't seem to get past the white walls... That's just bad a$$!!!

8. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

and the matching red piping on the seat

9. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

I am new at this. Have a 750Maxim (1983) still in the original packing container. Thinking it is about time to put it together. Any suggestions?

10. Ted

Ted Member

Holy sh.. uh, yeah.. maybe start a new thread under the "XJ Chat" section and show us some pictures of what you're working with. I'm sure there are a ton of us that would love to see your project and help with any questions along the way!

It always helps to add your location and bike info to your signature. You never know, you may have some members in your area that would be happy to help.

11. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

teddytedted. Thank you. I started a new "thread."

12. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Oh damn. New 83 max? Sexy.

Also, there's a guy looking for side covers on here a bit ago, I'll try to find his info.

13. Ted

Ted Member

Just a quick update - I posted this on a different thread but figured I should add it to my own..

Got a hair up my ()() the other night and decided my bike was too quiet so, against my better judgement, I decided to drill some holes in the factory exhaust baffles. Long story short; I'm glad I did. It sounds a little farty at idle but mean on the throttle. I'm kicking around the idea of adding more and/or bigger holes. My goal was to rework the exhaust eventually and we've pretty much reached the end of the riding season anyway so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't pan out and these factory cans get ruined (don't worry bigfitz52 - these were already banged up & I believe they're resale value was already greatly diminished). I made a quick vid for those interested in hearing the difference - this is with four 5/16" holes in each muffler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSUEPZw ... cfZo9kXlew

I've also been draggin my feet for like 6 weeks on replacing my upper brake line with the longer SS one I ordered. It's funny how I can successfully tear down and rebuild the rack of carbs, yet still be nervous about replacing the brake line and bleeding the brakes. :lol:

Also got the cover off of my original seat and getting ready to "trim the fat" and re-wrap it.. updates with pics soon!!

14. Ted

Ted Member

Hit the annual fall MC swap meet today and scored a solo seat for $20. SWEEEET! Has a couple little indentations to add some character but cleaned up pretty nice.. can't wait to start choppin'! :D

[​IMG]

15. Ted

Ted Member

Finally worked up the cajones to start chopping this bastard up. 15 minutes of pulling parts off the rear end & 10 minutes of sawzall work & it's officially a bobber!! :lol:

Here's a quick pic of the seat and fender mocked up. We're still tossing around ideas for mounting the seat & fender. After the pic I yanked off the passenger foot pegs & the mufflers. I ran it for about 5 minutes with the open pipes and it sounds real mean.. I like it but probably not so much at 5-6K RPM going down the road.

Might have some more parts for sale soon!

Oh, and my avatar hasn't worked for sh!t ever since I installed the pod filter! :lol:

[​IMG]

** EDIT: I like these bars even less now with the chop.. gonna' have to make a change...

16. maximike

maximike Member

Re: Ted's '82 XJ750 Maxim - Finally got to the choppin'!!

I don't know much about bobbers, but those horizontal bars where the seat is sitting look weird to me. There is a natural line going down the tank to the side covers. I would cut those bars and put the seat right down in that dip in front of the rear fender. Like how the hardtails of this bike are done. I think there's a "fake hardtail bobber" floating around the forum somewhere.

17. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks for the input - I agree. We've been tossing around some ideas there too. We might ditch the side covers and make some like these ( http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=38221.html ) or some with expanded metal like Streetbrawler used to have on his. We might even go with a full hardtail and springer seat eventually but I'm taking baby steps for now. 8)

18. maximike

maximike Member

Yeah, that's a nice bike in that link. Bobbers always make me feel like I'm gonna fall off the back, lol. Maxims have such a stubby look anyway the bobbers can end up looking kinda amputated, but I have seen some nice ones on this forum. Diamond plate is always cool for side covers. Or mesh, especially if you clear out the battery area. Having said that, I do get a lot of compliments on my stock side covers, it's funny because my bike is stock, but everybody always thinks the covers are some custom thing. The aluminum around them is something you don't see on many bikes.

19. Ted

Ted Member

pics pics pics.. I'm making headway here fellas! Keep in mind some of what you see here is somewhat temporary but I'm really starting to love this bike!

New this week: Suzuiki Savage rear shocks, SS upper brake line & brakes bled, cheap trailer brakelight, light & plate bracket fabbed from the original rear reflector bracket, shaved down the plastic inner guard rear fender (temporary solution.. still working on rear fender ideas).

You'll have to bear with me a little here until I get over the unnecesarry photo editing in photobucket :lol:

1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ750 XJ 750 bobber

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Ted

Ted Member

Re: Ted's '82 XJ750 Maxim - more progress & pics

Before pic to show progress =)

[​IMG]