1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"New" 1983 750Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HarryT3, Oct 16, 2012.

1. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

I am real new at this chat business, but it was suggested I start a new thread. I bought a 750 in Okinawa in 1983. It has followed me to Germany, California and now occupies a prominent place in my Florida garage--as a shelf. It is still in the original packing crate and has never been titled. I would like to get it going. I "understand" it is still on the original factory warranty, but there must be some statute of limitations involved. Any suggestions about putting it together again. I understand that to keep the warranty, I have to use an authorized dealer to set it up. Thanx.

2. Ted

Ted Member

This is so awesome! :D I think you're probably right about the warranty no longer being viable but I would definintely call the closest Yamaha dealer to get things started. They might charge you an arm and a leg to put it together OR if they think it's as cool as everyone on this site will, maybe they'll cut you a break.

How much assembly is actually required? I would guess that you might have to replace some seals and gaskets here and there that would have dried out over time, but tough to say without really getting in there.

We need pics!! :lol:

Let me (or us) know if you need help posting pics on here.. it can be a pain at first but pretty easy once you figure it out. Photobucket.com helps!

Good luck, I can't wait to see your progress on this one!

3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

That sounds like a collectors item.

If it were me, I'd keep it the way it is and find another 750 to ride.

4. livingdeadlyxj650

livingdeadlyxj650 Member

Word. Aside from the sentimental value. I would hang on to it for another 20 years n make bank off it lol.

5. ryevans21

ryevans21 Member

Pics for sure!

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

If you DO end up wanting to ride it, count on new tires, brake pads, and brake lines.

Can't wait to see pics. It would be cool to see pics of not only the bike once it's together, but also how it's packed in the crate and all the pieces it's in.

So awesome!!

Do you have any other bikes?

7. ktp1598

ktp1598 Member

I think I would call Yamaha and see if they have a place for that in a museum. Something like that might be valuable to them or other motorcycle museum. There's probably a hundred or so places that would love to have that to show off to the public. Even a large dealership. Might be worth 3-5K if you sold it to an individual. The right dealership might give you a new or newer traded in bike. Just something to think about...

8. ktp1598

ktp1598 Member

I think I would call Yamaha and see if they have a place for that in a museum. Something like that might be valuable to them or other motorcycle museum. There's probably a hundred or so places that would love to have that to show off to the public. Even a large dealership. Might be worth 3-5K if you sold it to an individual. The right dealership might give you a new or newer traded in bike. Just something to think about...

9. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

teddytedted...
    I thought I could handle the attachments, but I must have screwed up. I don't even know if my last post got thru. Found the old paperwork. Paid $2540. Serial # JYA22R DA001829. Engine # 22R001820. I will try to add an attachment to this, but I may need your help.

mtnbikecraxy55...
    Good point on the rubber. Did it have a dry battery? I guess I'll find out.

10. Ted

Ted Member

PM sent for uploading pics..

*EDIT - check out this youtube video, probably much easier than the instructions I typed out:

http://youtu.be/6UxjW7Aq_eU

11. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Truly a unique bike and story. I hope the comments about Yamaha making good on the warranty or it being a collectors item come true.

Sadly my experience with large manufacturers (Toyota) has been more along the lines of we just want to sell you a brand new product and that's where our loyalties and warranties lie. Foolish and greedy for sure but corporations aren't smart.

I carried an old Volkswagen '74 type I with me for a long time and less than 6 hours after I sold it I knew I had made a mistake. Yea it wasn't the safest, newest or sharpest car around and I had good reasons for selling-but it was mine and we had history together, but nowhere near as long as yours with your bike. I say get it put together and ride it.

If the warranty will still be in effect I would take it to the nearest Yamaha dealer and see what they say. If not then you might find an 'older' bike mechanic in your area to take it on, or...use this site and journey onward to doing it yourself! Could be fun.

12. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Unless it's been hermetically sealed, you will have issues with the rubber components, Ozone, Oxygen, and other atmospheric factors cause rubber parts to deteriorate over long periods of time. It has been reported by other members here that the brake lines have a 4 year lifespan. You may also find that you have oil leaking from various seals on the engine. Just thought you'd like to know.

13. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

+1 on checking out all the rubber goods to be sure they are not dry rotted. The brake fluid is probably dust by now. I'm sure there will be some issues but way cool to say the least. I had to take mine back to the dealer and have them check the valves after about 600 miles. Then it was 5000 after that. That was back in 1982 when I got my first 650 Maxim.

MN

14. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

15. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

Well, I guess I was able to upload/download a post. I'll try to get out some more.

[​IMG]

16. HarryT3

HarryT3 New Member

Another photo which might be interesting.

[​IMG]

17. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

MN-Maxims, if I'm not mistaken there are no fluids, except maybe fork oil in the bike. And by the looks of the pic, it may not be hermetically sealed, but it's still protected to some extent.

18. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

And your warranty paper looks legal and binding since it has never been through the initial setup. Of course that doesn't mean the setup will be free.

I wouldn't think there are any fluids at all. That would all be done during the initial setup. Rubber typically will decay when exposed to normal conditions, but those include moisture, sunlight, and oxygen. Considering it's been in the crate it may be in better shape than you would expect.

Love those Japanese Kanji characters!

19. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Come on people. There's no warranty. It's 30 years old.

As others have said on this thread there will be many rubber parts that will be needing to be replaced (read brake components especially). It doesn't matter if it's never been used.

Looks like a real neat project!

20. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

That is what I said before biggs, but if you read his contract it has NO TIMELINE related to it being 30 years old. I'm not saying Yamaha wouldn't try and weasle out of it somehow or just claim that it's too old, only that the paperwork states that the warranty begins after initial setup. It's never been setup and this isn't a retail Yamaha, it was purchased through a US Military Exchange program. So you may be right but unless you're a lawyer for Yamaha I wouldn't be so sure.

I have a camera from the 1930's which was kept in a wooden box, away from sunlight, moisture and excess oxygen (as in out in the open) and it has a rubber shroud that is as pliable and strong as the day it was made. Obviously motorcycle parts aren't exactly the same, and I would agree about the brake lines-replace them with stainless anyway for better performance. But I seriously doubt anyone on here can speak from experience when it comes to uncrating a never before assembled, never before exposed motorcycle.