1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

electrical headlight problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CowboyBob, Jun 11, 2012.

1. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

Just got back home and headlight went out before shutting off the engine.
    Checked the fuses wich were ok; engine starts and runs but no headlight (low or high beam). Pulled headlight out and no voltage at connector. I understand there is a relay, Where is that located?

2. taustreng

taustreng New Member

Id check under the gas tank, I have a 82 seca and thats where they stash just about everything as far as relays and flashers go. Assuming your talking about the xj you have.

3. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Its behind left side cover, below the TCI and Regulator/rectifier.

4. wingwax

wingwax New Member

I've got a similar problem. My bike runs just fine, but my headlight and the bulbs in the instrument cluster do not turn on.

Do you happen to recall if your instrument cluster turned on? If so, did replacing the relay solve the issues?

Thanks.

5. maximike

maximike Member

wingwax, what bike are you talking about? They don't all have headlight relays. What you have is a fairly common issue. Check fuses, all the connectors in the headlight bucket, and search this forum under "head, instrument lights" or words to that effect.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. wingwax

wingwax New Member

Sorry, I should have included more info. I've got a 1982 XJ650J. I checked out the fuses, and they didn't look to be in good shape, so I replaced them all and checked to make sure there was current flowing through on both sides of the fuses with a multi-meter. Everything there was okay.

I tried checking to see if there was power at the connectors in the headlight bucket that attach to the headlight, and it didn't seem to be getting any power, which I can figure can only mean that the problem is somewhere between the fuses and the headlight.

I thought that the relay under the tank, kinda mounted to the spine of the frame, might be the culprit, and I figure if I pull that off and jump the connections I might have some luck. No joy. But I'm still not sure if that relay has anything to do with the headlight circuit, or if I was doing it right at all.

About the side stand relay, before I ever got the bike the side stand tab broke off, so one of the previous owners cut off the side stand relay and twisted the wires together to jump it. Looks like there were only two wires twisted. Seems to be good enough to get the bike running.

Maximike - I'll try that search.

Bigfitz52 - I'll check out that post you linked to.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll post post an update when I make some progress.

8. maximike

maximike Member

Wingwax, if your bike is a 650, you have a head light relay under the left side cover, below the tci, according to chacal's guide. You could try the bypass he mentions, just to test it. Connect the blue/black wire to the red/yellow wire. If by some chance you made a typo, and you have a 750J, there is no head relay. There is a link floating around to an incorrect XJ750J wiring diagram showing a relay, so I mention it whenever this subject comes up.

9. wingwax

wingwax New Member

Figured out what the problem was. I always took my Haynes manual as gospel, which told me the headlight relay was under the gas tank, but you all were right, that headlight relay was the culprit and it was under the left side cover. I had just been looking at the wrong relay! Jumping it worked out okay; the headlight and instrument panel powered up after I stuck a paperclip in the connector.

Now on to other problems: removing a seized exhaust stud from the head and picking up enough welding to put a side stand tab back on the frame!

Thanks for the help guys!