1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Not sure if my fuel economy could be better...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mustang22490, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mustang22490

Mustang22490 New Member

I've got an 82 maxim xj650 that I've been only riding about a week. I just got it out of the shop for a carb tune up. My commute to work is 15 miles round trip on surface streets up and down hills. I'm not the lightest person at 260 lbs. I calculated after my first fill up that I'm getting around 37 mpg. Does this sound low to you guys? I've been reading that some of you get 45+ mpg. How do you do it?

P.S. I have a suspicion it might be running rich.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a suspicion that the shop that did the carbs didn't properly set the float levels.

3. ryevans21

ryevans21 Member

Yea, is the 45+ highway miles only, or do you guys average that in-town?? Mine is low (around 34) in town, but I am well aware a carb rebuild would do me wonders there...

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I did 4 tanks back-to-back when I first got my 900 of "spirited" hi-way riding and got 49 MPG only to later realise I had a speedo error and I was running it too lean (clean, white plugs).

It gets 42-45 HWY now, corrected with GPS.
    I live in too small a town to do a "city" test - 8)

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I agree -- float levels, or my problem--leaking float valve(s).

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I concur. Most of my riding is 10-15 mile trips, hills/curves/stop n go, I get 45-48mpg. Last time I did extended range I got 53mpg.

7. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Mustang22490,

Welcome.

Gary

8. day7a1

day7a1 Member

As you will find many times in this forum, it is always better to do the carbs yourself so you know they are correct....that being said:

37 mpg on a 15 mile commute that's stop and go is really not that bad. First, the bike isn't even warmed up for a good portion of the time. Second, although you never say how long it takes you, I'd be willing to be you are idling a good portion of the time. Third, the weight will make a big difference.

You said you calculated on your first fill up...it's really impossible to properly calculate on the FIRST fill up...now your second one will be more accurate if you fill it to the same level every time. On the first, you don't really know where you started!

Lastly, lets look at the difference between 37 mpg and 48 mpg as tskaz gets.

24 mpg = 4.17 gal per 100 miles
    37 mpg = 2.70 gal per 100 miles.
    48 mpg = 2.08 gal per 100 miles.

As you see, the higher the mpg gets, the less the real difference between seemingly large figures.

My point....before you take the carbs off and check the levels, ensure you are getting accurate numbers by following the instructions in my link in my signature, take it out on a long freeway trip to get a good, warmed up and idle free baseline, and realize that all the weight lifting you do to get those muscles up to 260 lbs just may be costing you that extra 0.62 gallons per 100 miles.

9. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Actually, my XXL 255# arse takes that part out of the equation.

10. to the max

to the max Member

i got 50.5 MPG on an 82 seca 650. only using 93 octane (not sure if that matters). i weigh about 205 lbs.