1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front wheel will not turn believe it's disc brakes.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jimgenie0906, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jimgenie0906

jimgenie0906 New Member

My 82 Yamaha Seca RJ750RJ is ready to start riding again after I had to cut off the oil filter cover bolt and replace but my front wheel will not turn. I believe it's my disc braking holding the tire. How do I bleed the brakes or get this fixed? Any help is welcome.

Jimmy

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Bleeding the brakes probably won't fix your problem. You have caliper pistons that are stuck. The only safe way to fix them is to rebuild them. While you are at it go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder. Too much of the procedure to go through here so if you have a manual its all in there.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep, time to rebuild the front brakes. Anything less will only result in tears and frustration.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Do a comprehensive front brake overhaul.
    Top to bottom.
    Replace aged Brake Lines.
    Overhaul and Rebuild the Caliper and Mount.

Restore a friction free finish to pivot points and traveling parts.

Replace the Caliper Main and Dust Seal.

CLEAN to bare metal the Channel which holds the Caliper MAIN Seal.
    Brake Dust and Road Grime collect behind the Seal rendering the Channel to become "Out-of-round".

Once out of round the Caliper Piston "Binds" rather than float causing the Pads to remain in contact with the Brake Rotor, ... locking-up the wheel.

5. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Stainless lines while you are at it! so worth the upgrade :)

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Double check your front wheel bearings while your at it.

MN

7. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

And don't forget to torque it all back to spec when you're done, and check your steering head bearings. New front tire maybe??

Aren't you glad you asked now? :?

8. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Check your pistons and be real careful getting them out. The metal is softer than you might think and it's easy to mar it. Also, they can get pitted. I replaced mine with new stainless ones from HVC Cycles.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

easiest way to find out if it's the brakes or the bearings....remove the caliper. Now does the wheel spin? Now, while you have things disconnected, take everything apart and service it ALL, as others mentioned, before re-assembly and you'll have the safest front end around town.

dave

10. RickB

RickB Member

82 Seca? Don't forget those awesome anti-dive units. They will need to be rebuilt as well. And since the lower halves of those units are technically part of the front forks, at a minimum, those forks will need to be drained and refilled. How are your fork seals?

11. jimgenie0906

jimgenie0906 New Member

I just took the front tire off and calipers. I don't think I'll mess with the forks yet and the seals look good. I am way out of my comfort zone but trying it anyway since I have a backup bike a 2006 Buell Blast (Wife's Bike). Accepting all advice on how to do this, doing a lot of reading.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When you pull the Caliper, ... restore all surfaces that Travel, Swivel or Pivot to a cleaned and refinished status.

Use 400, 800 and 1000 Finishing Wet-O-Dry Papers to restore surfaces that have dried-out, rusted or pitted to a smooth surface.
    Lube Pins and Bushings with Synthetic Waterproof Grease.

Use Clean Brake Fluid to Lube Caliper Seals and Piston replacement.

13. jimgenie0906

jimgenie0906 New Member

Another question, I know how to change the brake fluid but the Master Cylinder is in a strange area underneath the handlebars where I can't view it. I can only take a bolt out with an allen wrench but cannot access anything else. What do I need to take off to get to it? A strange spot to place a Master Cylinder on the 1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ.

14. CapnRedbeard

CapnRedbeard Member

I found the best way to fill and service mine when I rebuilt brakes was to use a syringe. Easiest way to fill and minimise the risk of pouring fluid everywhere.

Some rebuild threads on the site detail alternate M/C and conversion to bar mounted M/C. This will require hose alterations but appears easy enough. Once you have sourced an alternative second hand unit.