1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

MY very own no start thread.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by depthcharge711, Nov 21, 2012.

1. depthcharge711

depthcharge711 New Member

Here is the story. I bought a 1986 XJ700 Maxim Air cooled. It started up fine when I picked it up from the guys house. I rode it home(30miles). The bike ran great no issues at all. As I pull into my driveway the bike dies. I was able to push start it and it ran for about 2 mins. I said ok that its enough for tonight. I went out this morning and noticed that my number 4 plug wire had come off the boot. Snipped it and reattached to the boot.

I pulled all the plugs and checked them. All 4 were paper bag brown and not wet. while i had each one out i did a spark check against the motor. Had spark that seemed good to me.(Wife is at work can not go get new plugs atm). I cracked open the drains on each of the carbs and nice fresh gas came out into the tissue I had there to check for dirt. I checked the bikes inline filter and it was clean and full of fuel.

I am trying to start the bike in neutral while it is on the side stand.

After all this, it just cranks and cranks with no signs of starting. Where do I go first and then next. This is my only transportation now and the wife is not happy that it is already broke.

2. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

Welllll, I'm no wizard, but I'd start by checking the battery, make sure it's full of juice and completely charged. Then make sure your fuel/vacuum fittings are all attached, if it still won't got try spraying some propane or starting fluid into the air box. If that does it, time to clean the carbs, if it doesn't do it maybe check your safety switches....

3. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

As a quick fix I might try some starter fluid?

In the long run, get compression numbers...and check valve clearences.

My other though was, perhaps you lost vacuum from your petcock, but you said your bowls had fuel...

4. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Too quick for me Rhettb!

5. maximike

maximike Member

Could be slightly weak battery, or a petcock issue, or both. You can have enough juice to crank the bike but not start it. The fact that you were able to bump start it says battery to me. A slow petcock could cause it to act like it was out of gas, until the carbs fill back up. Did you have it on "ON" or "PRI"?

Do you have a battery charger? Or you could even jump start it with a car, carefully, car should be not running. If that works, it's a battery/possible alternator issue.

6. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

Hahaha but you remembered compression and valves, so kudos Patmac :lol:

7. depthcharge711

I have had it on the trickle charge all night and this morning again after I cranked on it. I just came out and tried to start it, It caught for a sec then died. now back to nothing. I have a feeling the battery is a no go but is the only check a voltage one since I do not have a specific gravity tool? I have a charged car battery that I can try. Give me 10mins to get that setup

8. depthcharge711

I have the petcock in on/ i did try the prime to the same outcome. I have pods(no airbox) The motor was rebuilt with paperwork 500miles ago. Like I said she ran great for the trip home. I am leaning towards a bad battery myself.

9. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

Is it a sealed battery? I was having really hard starting problems on my shadow, then I looked at the battery and all the cells were low on distilled water :oops: . Topped them up, charged the battery and now it fires right up. Probably wouldn't have had to bump start it so many times this summer if I had checked it in the spring :roll: .

Jumping it from your car should do the trick if is the battery.

PS- If you do get a new battery, do yourself a favor and get an AGM one, couple extra bucks, but it will last at least twice as long as a regular one.

10. depthcharge711

well it didnt even take 10mins..connected it to a spare car battery I had and vroom to life she came. Now replacing the battery is one thing, How do I check the charging system so I do not have this happen again. Hopefully its just an old battery but you can never be too safe.

I need some pictures don't I...how lazy of me

11. depthcharge711

the battery looks to be the cheapest possible..and I am short on distilled water at the moment. I will pull it out and check. I want to install the permanent trickle charge on her anyways.

12. depthcharge711

Here is a picture of the beast in question.

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
  13. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Check your charging system with a mulitmeter on your battery. Above 2000rpms it should read 14.4V or so, anything below 14 and the system is weak and needs work.

Your PO was probably aware of this and charged the battery right before you came by.

BTW nice looking XJ!

14. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Nice bike.

Gary

15. depthcharge711

I did check the voltage at 2k rpms and right at 14.4V. Once turkey day is over I will get a replacement battery.

16. depthcharge711

Replacement battery in and everything is a go..today I pulled on the throttle hard and then let it coast down..it died took a second to restart. Sounds like i sucked the bowls dry..might have to check the levels in carbs. that sound right?

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Setting the Float Heights is a Tuning Issue following a Carb Cleaning and Overhaul.

Fuel Starvation has MANY causes.

• Clogged Petc0ck Filter Tower.
    • Slipped Petc0ck Valve Gasket
    • Perforated Vacuum Membrane.
    • Kinked Hoses
    • Clogged Float Valve Beenie Screens
    • Diaphragm Pistons Sticking Open (Causes flooding-out and Plug fouling)

18. tre66

tre66 New Member

check the fuses

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Do a quick "Pop / No Pop Test"

Shoot some Starting Fluid into the Airbox
    Turn on the Ignition and try to Start the Bike.
    If it Runs or tries to Start, ... the Problem is FUEL related.

If it doesn't even cough, ... troubleshoot Ignition / Electrical.