1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello from Texas.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by CrybabyJimbo, Nov 23, 2012.

1. CrybabyJimbo

CrybabyJimbo New Member

Hey everybody,
    Recently joined the forum after a friendly stranger gave me a Maxim. I work at Austin Mopeds currently (mopeds, not scooters. You know, the goofy little dumb things with pedals?), used to own a scooter repair shop, and worked at other shops prior to that. I've been a professional mechanic for about 9 years now and try to keep all of my grubby little fingers in some sort of motorbike at all times.
    I've enjoyed lurking here and look forward to sharing my build and falling deeper into the XJ wormhole. Great community here. If anybody has any scooter, moped or two stroke questions, let me know. If I don't have the answer, I'm sure I have a resource.
    Texas boys, I know you're out there... Message me. Let's have a beer or 12.
    Thanks, Jimbo

2. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Welcome to the group Jimbo!

3. Daentus

Daentus New Member

Hi Jimbo,

I also recently got an XJ from a friendly Austinite. The bike I have is an '82 XJ650RJ Seca. The former owner also recommended this site for information about it.
    It's good to know I won't be the only XJ guy cruising around Austin.

Best regards,
    Marc

4. fintip

fintip Member

Dragsta, I hope I never have to see Florida again. I've been there four times in my life, and I have no desire to ever return... If you're calling Texas a brown hell hole, you haven't visited enough of the state. East Texas is all forest, and Austin has two lakes and a massive green belt, an aquifer, a natural spring, and so on. West Texas, dry and flat as it is, has its own beauty--out by El Paso is some world class rock climbing at Hueco Tanks, and I can only dream of making it out there in the near future, been wishing for it for some time. Not to mention some of the best hospitality in the country.

I wouldn't trade this for the god-awful humidity and shallow culture of Florida if you paid me to.

As for you other Austinites, welcome! I've owned a scooter, two Maxim 650's, and recently moved on to the next evolution of the Yamaha inline 4 engine, the FJ ('86 1200 in my case). Still in touch with the girl I sold my Maxim to... Kind of wonder if maybe central texas should start having an XJ rally at this point, a friend of mine in Austin just bought an XJ750 in Portland as well.

5. CrybabyJimbo

CrybabyJimbo New Member

Dragstard,
    I think it's great that you're enjoying your retirement community. I hear Florida is a great place to meet geriatrics. I enjoy the weather here in Texas. I've lived here all my life and still love it. Even if I move away some day, I'll always be a proud Texan. You'll never convince me that Texas sucks. I've been to Cleburne, by the way. I'm from Dallas, so I understand your frustration. I'm sure you can find some pretty crappy parts of Florida, too. Bottom line: Florida sucks. Texas is awesome. Don't forget your fixodent before a ride.

6. fintip

fintip Member

I've never had an inspection problem here, nor heard of anyone else who has had inspection problems... Austin has stricter requirements, but you can go out of the city for the inspection if you like.

The more I travel, the more I appreciate Texas. I'm glad you left the state, only improving things for the rest of us... You obviously like complaining... I also enjoy the weather here. It gets colds for like 6 weeks here. As for the heat, if you can't handle the heat, move elsewhere.