1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Insuring multiple seldom-used bikes

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by sevesteen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

All the bikes Wife and I own are old enough to qualify for antique plates, and 3 of them are used seldom enough, probably under 1000 miles annually. Is there any way to get liability insurance on these bikes so I can ride them a couple times a year legally, without having to pay rates almost as much as the Seca that I use as primary summer transportation?

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

maybe some kind of hobby/collector plates. check with your local ins. agents, im sure it varies from state to state.

3. Super

Oh-ohhh, not another insurance thread......

4. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

I tried to find the relevant ones, but none that I saw were about insuring collections, just complaining about rates in general. I'm complaining about something different...

5. Super

I agree, I have two bikes, can only ride one at a time and am the only one licensed in the residence to drive an m/c, yet it is "full fare" for both.

Or, it seems that depending on where you live, no insurance might be a legal option, but lets not go down that road again!

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Talk to Hagerty or Chubb; both companies offer collector insurance, and have arrangements with various states in regard to "per vehicle" fees.

7. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Progressive also offers vintage MC insurance in some areas

But, even though my standard MC policy is through Progressive because my regular insurer doesn't offer it, I'd still check with Hagerty. They probably have better (and more flexible) coverage for what you're looking for.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Progressive sells Hagerty coverage, and takes a markup.

They come right out and say so on their website (that it's Hagerty, not the fact that they get a cut.)

9. CBnutt

CBnutt Member

State Farm was only going to charge me $27 a year for my 78 CB 750 for liability, but i got a car and truck with them and that was just liability no medical