1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Default Things That motorcycle Riders Should Have ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MarcLeese, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MarcLeese

MarcLeese New Member

haha. why is that so? So, let's eliminate the chaps. Replace it with a rain gear?

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

If you ride near freezing temps you'll be glad to have some chaps.

3. Ejpt

Ejpt Member

Magnets under the lower frame to trip stoplights?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Go tell a bull rider that his chaps are gay and see what happens. :twisted:

5. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

0% Blood alcohol.

And I've never once used ear plugs.

Reducers I could see using, but plugs could make you NOT hear that car honking at you cause he's going to crush you.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've never used ear plugs either; it comes down to a good fitting helmet (and a stock exhaust.)

Gay or not, chaps are basically useless to a motorcycle rider unless you're THAT concerned about getting hit on the shin with a rock. The body parts a motorcyclist needs to protect in a crash aren't covered by chaps.

A couple of my weekend-warrior Harley-riding friends have them; they're more part of their "Harley Biker Costume" than anything else. Hilarious in the rain, too.

To elaborate on my initial answer: whether it's your bike or your gear, it has to be in good repair, work correctly and fit properly. You need to be able to devote 110% concentration to the task at hand (staying alive in traffic) and cannot afford to be distracted by bike issues or "obtrusive" riding gear, like a pair of riding gloves with seams in the wrong places or an ill-fitting helmet.

Speaking of hilarious in the rain; ever see what a fringed leather jacket acts like at 60mph in a downpour?

7. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I Concur... I wont ride if I haven't had enough sleep or can't focus.
    Every accident I've had could have been prevented, by me.

8. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Not wearing them will see you go deaf anyway so you still wont hear that car

I'd rather freeze

If you have decent gear you wouldn't need them anyway

9. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

They are attracted to other chaps? Man, you better not leave them unattended...

10. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

No way I need ear plugs! Several times I have saved myself because I barely heard what I needed to hear to react. I would never ride with straight pipes for this very reason and they are annoying to everyone anyway. Normal mufflers and a good helmet and the dB's are not dangerous at all. You will go deaf quicker in a movie theater.

I do like music and I wouldn't mind having some in my helmet, but I know I wouldn't be as safe.

Layers beat freezing temps, and manly chaps aren't attracted to feminine chaps so you're safe there.

11. Kickaha

You're wrong, and it's wind noise that is the problem not normally the exhaust

12. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

What Kickaha said is exactly right.
    Earplugs dont prevent you from hearing other traffic around you.
    And they reduce fatigue to an amazing degree on a long run.

13. maximike

maximike Member

Can't stand earplugs myself. Although, I have worn my phone headphones for tunes I have to admit. I've never noticed wind noise in my helmet, even with the chin bar up, but I have a good windshield.

14. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Well you learn something new everyday if you pay attention.

I had never seriously considered ear protection, mostly because I thought it would limit my ability to be safe but also because I never thought I needed it. So after your posts I called a friend who happens to be an ear, nose, and throat surgeon-you can guess what he told me. It is indeed the wind noise that is above safe levels at speed, and he strongly encouraged me to get some plugs.

So I looked them up and there are several 'good' ones that primarily attenuate the particular frequencies most at fault for hearing damage and attenuate less the other frequencies making them 'safe' plugs.

Kickaha and gunabuild1 thanks for educating me! I always thought Aussies were the wild ones who drove hardcore hotrods like in MadMax, but clearly you guys are refined as well. I will be picking up a decent pair ASAP especially for long commutes.

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i've used all the ones they get at work and a few assortment packs
    these are the ones i like

16. Kickaha

Who are you calling an Aussie? they're our poor cousins who live far to the west of me :lol:

A motorcycle magazine back in the nineties measured 100+ decibels at highway speeds, that was about the time I started using them

17. MarcLeese

MarcLeese New Member

FOUND THIS:

Cyber Monday 3 Super Sale !
    AT

---just sharing..^-^

18. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

My bad Kickaha! You are most correct, I just lumped you in, but you're from that enchanted island so well featured in the Tolkien movies.

So out of curiosity what is the equivocal term for a New Zealander??

19. livingdeadlyxj650

livingdeadlyxj650 Member

what are some good gear brand names? and what should i expect to pay for decent set of gear? what a bout helmets.. imah noob. lol ALSO never wouldve thought about the wind. im exposed to it alot being a boat mechanic. kinda makes me want to wear a pair on the lake now..

20. RickB

RickB Member

While noise levels can vary from helmet to helmet, whether your helmet is good fitting, high quality, Schuberth or Bell, as Kickaha notes, riding a motorcycle without earplugs exposes your ears to excessive noise levels, primarily from wind noise.

Years of riding a motorcycle without ear plugs WILL result in some level of hearing loss. In a car, a driver can hear horns, sirens, etc. just fine with windows rolled up; similarly on a bike, a rider will hear these traffic noises just fine with ear plugs. "ATGATT" should absolutely include earplugs.

On a forum with so many younger/newer riders, I am shocked to hear respected site Elders recommend otherwise.