1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

a little Hi from philippines

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by sirMikel, Dec 25, 2012.

1. sirMikel

sirMikel New Member

recently just bought an xj400zs and luckily found this site.

im on a restoration/modification process of the bike, picture and problems are posted below

my current problems with this bike are:

*hard starting (newly bought battery almost run drained before it gets to start)

*no idling (you need to keep on throttling the gas else it'll turn off)

currently those are the bike's problems

[​IMG]
    GEDC7743 by sirMikel, on Flickr

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You will need to:

Get the valve clearances in spec (probably long ignored.)

Clean the carburetors and properly set the float levels.

Synchronize the carburetors.

Once it is running you will need to attend to the old brake parts.

Happy Holidays and welcome aboard!

3. sirMikel

sirMikel New Member

Thank you bigfitz..

we'ved already cleaned out the carbs but i didn't know that i still need to adjust the floaters...

we currently are sync-ing the carbs...

P.S.
    Im a DIYer and doing things all by my self with a little help from my dad and brother.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

sM,

Welcome to the club.

Gary

5. Smiley

Smiley Member

Welcome to the club. My neighbor just let me try some Sweet and Spicy Tamarind from Tiaong, Quezon.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Float levels are critical, the spec has a +/- 1mm tolerance if they're Mikunis.

Don't just ignore the valves like everyone before you.

Valves first, THEN carb sync.

And it's good you're DIY; it's hard to find anyone who knows what they're doing to work on it anyway.

7. mook1al

mook1al Member

+1 on what Bigfitz says here. About a year and a half ago, i was having to work six 12's at work, and just had no time to work on the bike. I thought to myself, since I was making all the overtime, I just justify the expense of having a shop do some of the work on the bike, which was at the time, valve adjustment and I wanted to have the carbs sonic cleaned and run through a tumbler. So, I have three "Yamaha" cycle shops and at least four mom and pop service shops within a reasonable driving distance. None of them...mind you, not even one, would agree to "service" my bike. The only one that gave it any amount of consideration was an older Harley mechanic, about 10 years older than me. He said he would be willing to look at it, but he would have to learn about the model just to know how to service it and said he would not guarantee results (which was understandable being that he was not a metric bike mechanic).

So ultimately, I chose to just be patient and wait until the overtime at work cooled down a bit, and do the work myself. I can say, that having the chance to do it over again, I would just purchase another bike to ride while tinkering on the project.

Also, I really can't think of any other more gratifying feeling than to realize the improved results and know you did the work yourself. Say for instance, after you've gotten the valves in spec, and carbs cleaned and in proper spec, that you have your color tune plug going, and carb tune pro going, and every little tweak you make, the engine goes from the poppety pops to the sewing machine smooth and and begins singing that sweet XJ music.

8. sirMikel

sirMikel New Member

Thanks a lot bigfits...

just an update....
    it the bike started and growls like a beast!! :)

cleaned and refitted the spark plugs...
    carbs re-opened and cleaned for the 2nd time...

i dont have an idea of the floats level and yes they are mikunis... i just took a lucky estimate of 20mm (if any one knows the right level please let me know so i can adjust to it)

camshaft cover removed and... my day ends. :)

i dont have the right tools for the valve job and do anyone knows the correct valve clearance? i think the valve's clearance on my bike is way too tight...

***summing it up....
    the bike runs/started.
    spark plugs cleaned.
    carbs cleaned.
    carbs gets "almost" synch

*****problems....
    -optimum float level unknown
    -optimum valve clearance unknown
    -i think the battery doesn't charge, battery runs dead after 10 starts...

ill be making a thread regarding the progress of the bike. and BIG BIG thank you guys for helping me out on this.
    Thank you!!

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Looks like some kind of non-USA-available version of the FJ600.........is it possible that it's not an XJ, but rather an Fj of sorts?

Dave F

10. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

It's a non-USA-available version of an XJ400. I took a look on the XJCD where it has a PDF file of Japanese home market models, and this is what I found:

------

XJ400Z (1983)
    1983 produced a full model change.
    The new design Water 4stroke DOHC 4 valve inline 4 399cc water-cooled engine was loaded onto the metal tubing double cradle frame, rear wheel support became the link type single shock. The styling was based on the XJ750E-II.

The XJ400Z-S variant was fitted with a bikini cowl and rectangular headlight. Tandem passenger grips, were blend in with the integrated tail and turn signals the tail cowl. The engine is YICS equipped and delivered 55.0ps/11500rpm 3.50kg*m/10000rpm to the 6 speed transmission. Cast wheels sported of F90/90-18 and R110/90-18 and were based on the same new design as XJ750E-II.

3 slotted disks were installed for brakes. This model evolved into the FZR400R in 1984 as the demand for sport bikes increased.

------

The more you know... ;)