1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1980 XJ Cafe Project (With Completed Pictures)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Clownman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. hoopsuk

hoopsuk Member

Re: 1980 XJ Cafe Project

Do you have a wiring diagram that you used on this build?
    I am at a similar stage but rectifying my ignition woes is proving difficult.

2. Clownman

Clownman Member

Bigfitz, yes to the pod filters. I did do a dynojet stage three kit. New needles and a 118 main jet. As for the floats, yes, I checked them and they are all the same. One issue I think me be cauing a problem is that the bowls are no longer sitting level. Since I installed the R6 forks the back of the bowl is higher than the front, thus the fuel level is not level with the bowl but more tilted if that makes sense. I think the pilot may just be a touch out of the fuel, which is not good and may be causing this issue.

Hoopsuk, to get the bike running I followed the "minimum wiring diagram" but I completely gutted everything stock. I only reused the connectors on some things but ran all my own wires to three new relays. I wish I could compile what I did to show you but I was looking at about 7 different schematics to get it all to work correctly. If your just trying to get it running look and follow that minimum diagram, it is correct.

Im off to go clean the new tank and do some exhaust tabs today. Have a good day everyone.

3. Clownman

Clownman Member

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH ok so lesson learned... always double check everything! In this case ensure the float's in the boals are not upside down... After much head scratching and cleaning everything again I realized that they were upside down!!!!! So I threw the wiring back on the bike, put the carbs back on and holy shit!!!! It screams through the entire RPM range just as I had hoped!!! No all I need to do is paint the rear frame and put some primer on the tail section and boom she is ready to ride!!!!

One question though, does anyone know the thread size for the oil drain bolt? The last goober that changed the oil ripped all but three threads out of the hole some how and now I have a slow leak... I was just gonna helicoil it, any other suggestions?

4. Clownman

Clownman Member

Got a bit more done today. The rear of the frame finally got some much needed paint attention before the rust started to take over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I finalize all the wiring and wrap/seal everything then a decent rest ride while I wait for the color tune plug!!! I may check the sync again now that it will actually rev correctly.

So close!!!!

5. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Great job! I gotta say I am most impressed with the sewing. Of all things I would never even attempt that!

6. JUNK8

JUNK8 New Member

That seat is awesome. Good job!

7. skillet

skillet Active Member

Lookin' better and better...

skillet

8. erco

erco New Member

going to be nice I think, :wink: :wink: :lol: well done

9. Clownman

Clownman Member

Well, I got it good enough to ride a bit today!!! Cleaned out the tank, tightened every bolt I could find, twice... and made it to the gas station without any hickups!!! So far so good!

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the compliments, I will be wrapping the seat in a few days. More pics to follow!

-Chris

10. Erman

Erman Member

Dude, where is your battery?

11. Clownman

Clownman Member

The battery is under the rear hump. It is a very small, LiIon battery, I think it weighs about 1.5 lbs if that.

Also for a heads up, if your going to do the front end conversion make sure the levers are not holding the brakes on... even the slightest bit. Tonight on a second test ride the front end locked up on me. The cheap-o e-bay shorty levers are incorrectly drilled for the R6 master cylinder. The pin that sticks out was being pushed in and not allowing all the fluid to be bled back into the reservoir... so needless to say the brakes heated up to the point of smoking and proceeded to gradually stick themselves to the rotors!!! I managed to get it to the side of the road, let it cool down, it unlocked, rode it a block to a mechanic shop, and after a bit of talking took the lever off and rode home no incident.

I got very lucky tonight, and thankfully nothing bad happened to me or the bike. I will be drilling the hole deeper tomorrow and re-bleeding the entire system again. So if your thinking about ordering the cheap ebay levers jsut double check the fitment... lesson learned. time to order new pads.

-Chris

12. Erman

Erman Member

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm trying to keep mine clean and stock as far as it goes, but I've already buggered up some parts relating to the anti-dives in the forks, making them obsolete.
    I'm thinking your conversion is the way to go for the next modification...

13. Clownman

Clownman Member

Erman, I wish you were not in Norway as I have two complete sets of front forks just sitting in my garage!!! I hope your able to fix them, if not then look the my other thread about the fork conversion and put a sport bike front end on it!

14. Erman

Erman Member

However, should the lottery kick in tomorrow, I may just relieve you of one :D

I've blocked off the Anti-dives, and trust that the two fork oil passage resistors (to call them that) are made obsolete. We'll see come spring.

15. Clownman

Clownman Member

Ok gang, been busy over the break and here is what has been done to close this chapter...

started with all the body work. I got lucky with this tank and there were only a few minor dents and imperfections.
    [​IMG]
    Setting up the make shift garage paint booth. Plastic drop cloths stapled to the ceiling, a fan at one end with filters taped over it... Actually worked very well!!!
    [​IMG]
    First coat of the maroon/red color on the tank. So far so good.
    [​IMG]
    The tail section out in the sun, no clear yet.
    [​IMG]
    The initial graphic layout, son covered in gold.
    [​IMG]
    And after the tape was removed from shooting the gold... Not to bad!!!
    [​IMG]
    And after three coats of clear :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the day after, out in the cloudy weather... The engine still needs to be painted...
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least... Tonight's work, painted a 2K Ceramic Coating on the entire motor, gonna sand down the edges of the cooling fins tomorrow and reinstall it in the frame Monday.
    [​IMG]

After that just waiting on a new oil filter assembly and then she is complete and ready to ride.

Thanks for looking.
    -Chris

16. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Damn fine paint job.

17. skillet

skillet Active Member

Paint job do look NICE!!!

skillet

18. Clownman

Clownman Member

Getting closer, I have the lower pan getting a helicoil put in it for the new drain bolt at a machine shop, hopefully done by Friday... No pics...

Got the motor put back in the frame and dressed up the lettering with a bit of One Shot lettering enamel. Should hold just fine and its a pretty close match for the forks and the paint.
    [​IMG]

Also on my way home today I stopped by the local upholstery shop and talked to the owner and he was so impressed with the sewing I did that he glued it to the tail section for me for free as I helped him!!!!!! After he even gave me some pointers on how to better my next one! Awesome guy!
    [​IMG]

I could not wait to get it home and look at it on the bike! Just a few things left before I get to ride her!
    [​IMG]

Soon I will do some glamor shots of it all finished and cleaned up.

-Chris

19. mook1al

mook1al Member

Very nice results. It has a clean looking finish.

20. skillet

skillet Active Member

DAMN! Looks NICE!!!

skillet