1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ted

Ted Member

Just figured I should slide over to the right area since most of what I'm doing from here forward will be modifications.

Here's the link to my previous thread if you want some more of the back story: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=38836.html

and a couple pics:

Before:

[​IMG]

Now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still on the list:

forward controls (probably the TC Bros when funds permit)
    exhaust - I'm thinking some fat slash-cuts with grey header wrap
    rear fender - not sure what to do here yet....
    hardtail - maybe next year
    fresh paint - probably more than once :lol:
    .. and anything else that pops up! :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. skillet

skillet Active Member

Re: Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber - continued from the chat section

Looks NICE!!!

skillet

3. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks buddy - can't tell ya' how good it feels to finally have MY OWN BIKE as the wallpaper on my computer! :lol:

4. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Sweetness. The one thing that I haven't figured out yet is what everyone is doing to the top of the shock mounts (bolts) after removing the grab handle. I had to put like 6 washers on them to get the nuts tight. Can you provide some insight?

5. Ted

Ted Member

I haven't really seen what others have done either but I used a pair of 3/8" ID steel bushings I had laying around from my handle bar swap (same thing is used as spacers on my risers). I got them at the local Ace hardware for like $2.50 a piece.

This pic shows the short one (1/2") I used for the risers on the bottom and the longer one (3/4")I used for the shock mount spacer is right above the tape measure.

[​IMG]

6. Ted

Ted Member

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, those are the stock shocks from a Suzuki Savage 650. They bolted right on except I had to switch the metal sleeve from the lower mount on the right shock. I just drove the metal sleeves out with a couple of large sockets and pounded the one from the Maxim shock into the lower mount of the Savage shock.

I'm not a huge fan of the upper shock mount sticking out that far. Ideally, I'd like to cut it off and weld on a shorter one but I also thought about something like these from ebay - anybody know if these would work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikers-Choice-S ... 4138wt_975

I also had 12-gauge shotgun shells shoved in the frame rail openings but forgot to "glue" them in there before I took off and lost one... now I need to find a matching set again. :lol:

7. JoeyGKedd

JoeyGKedd Member

What headlight did you use?

8. Ted

Ted Member

The headlight is from an "83 XJ1100. I bought it from a guy on here in the parts section for like $40 & it bolted right into the factory ears for the square headlight assembly.

9. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Thanx bro. I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have any to fit right now. Need to drill them out some.

10. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

nice! looks great.

11. JoeyGKedd

JoeyGKedd Member

Thanks man, bike came out great, congrats!

12. Ted

Ted Member

Re: Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber - continued from the chat sec

Been awhile since I've updated anything here but not much to report since it's starting to get pretty cold it's gonna' be awhile before I can accomplish much of anything. :?

A couple weeks back I decided to ride the bike to work (about 35-40 degress outside), got about a half mile down the road and went to take off from the stop sign.. nothing. Throttle cable snapped. Bummer. Ordered a cheapie online and figured while I had things apart and waiting anyway I also ordered a new valve cover gasket, new donuts, and bought some high temp engine paint for the valve cover. I used a $6 aeresol can of paint stripper from walmart and it did the trick in no time flat. This thing has been drooling oil down the front/right side and little elsewhere since I got it so I'm glad to finally have it sealed up.. now I just can't wait for some warmer weather so I can get in and clean things up in there a little better!

Here's the best "before" pic I have of the valve cover but this doesn't really do it justice. It looked like maybe about 15 years ago somebody let their 4 year old paint it with some poster paint and a hankie. :lol:

[​IMG]

Again, not the best quality pics from my crappy old cellphone, but here's the after. I actually like the look of the red valve cover before but not too sure I'm gonna stick with the red/white/black color scheme for very long so I went with semi-gloss black Duplicolor high-temp engine paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turned out pretty good, I think. I also polished up the ribs by step-sanding from 220 up to 1500. That probably took 10X longer than stripping and painting the damn thing but adds a lot to the look.

Oh, almost forgot - I mounted a couple red LED lights under the tank and behind the side covers.. wasn't really planning on it but I saw a pack of 4 on clearance for $5 at Advance Auto Parts and couldn't resist.. will try to get a pic up later. I might ditch them eventually but for now it's kind of cool.. my wife thought I was retarded when I told her what I was doing but seemed impressed when I lit 'em up for her. :D

13. Matte_blacK

Matte_blacK New Member

Did you remove the stock gauges? Wherd you get the seat?

14. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

Look's Good. More I see these with those Tank's more I wanna put one on instead of one I have on now.

15. Ted

Ted Member

Yep, ditched all the gauges. Right now I just have a Garmin GPS that I use for a speedo sometimes. I picked the seat up at the local motorcycle swap meet for $20 and fabbed a mounting bracket out of a $2 steel bracket from the hinge section at Menard's.

16. gitsum911

gitsum911 Member

hey ted i love the look of ur bike what did u hve to do with ur cables, r they stock or extedned and how tall r ur bars?

17. Ted

Ted Member

pcoffman likes this.
  18. gitsum911

gitsum911 Member

Cool i just measured mine out to be the same bout 9.25 i think im gonna build my own i have drag bars currently than i bought from a local shop called grim cycle salvage for 30 bucks

19. harmsxiii

harmsxiii New Member

looks great! i have the same stock one now that i just picked up same color and all and i would love it to end up like yours did , i just got everything stripped down , which direction do you suggest to start toward first ?

20. jethro

jethro New Member

wondering if instead of shotgun shells you could use a 50 cal shell?