1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cuts on 82 xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by harmsxiii, Jan 6, 2013.

1. harmsxiii

harmsxiii New Member

does any one have any advice/suggestions on where to cut the frame to bob out a 82 750 and also to move forward the foot controls and if so how far ? you can view my photos to get a better say on things !

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

TCBrothers.com has forward controls for about 175.00. They mount to the frame at the front triangular motor mount. They are the only ones you'll find that are made for your bike, anything else will be universal or home made.
    The (My Build Thread in my signature) shows my home made controls. Not pretty but functional. I really messed up the shift linkage by cutting the shift lever too short which is why there's 2 linkages.

3. lastRebel69

lastRebel69 Member

For what it's worth, I will most likely be making a set to bolt to the front lower motor mounts. That's where I would be most comfortable though. If you want the laid back stance, go with the TC kit, they make good quality stuff. If you're not sure where you want them , you can use a broom handle to get an idea. I'm short, so a little closer is what I need for decent posture. Of course, my seat will sit lower than stock, so that makes a difference too.

4. Ted

Ted Member

If you're looking to just hack off the back of the frame for a quick & easy bobber conversion then there's basically 2 options:

Most of them I've seen cut it about 6 inches behind the shock mount like this:

[​IMG]

The nice thing about doing it that way is it leaves you with a little more frame to work with for mounting a seat, fender, etc. I didn't like the little extra frame "horn" sticking out behind the shock so I chopped mine right behind the shock mount where there's still 2 seperate frame tubes. Far as I can tell there's no difference in structural integrity so it's jus a matter of which option looks better to you. Here's mine for comparison:

[​IMG]

5. harmsxiii

harmsxiii New Member

okay thank you guys i will take a look at this and put these into consideration !!!

6. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

I also cut mine right behind the shock mounts. Thinking about sticking a couple of shot guns shells in each side to plug the holes...

7. Krafty

Krafty Member

^^^ might want to remove the gunpowder first...

8. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

Might make it faster if I don't, lmao