1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2013 CB 1100

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MiCarl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

At the IMS show yesterday I saw something interesting. Honda has introduced a standard motorcycle with a transverse inline 4. CB1100.

Quite a crowd around it. CB 1100 link.

I wonder of the other manufacturers will get in the game.

2. mook1al

mook1al Member

I have never been a big fan of Honda bikes,but if Yamaha follows suit and brings an XJ style inline 4 back to the states, then I would definetely be in the buying a new bike mindframe.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Each of the "Big 4" make a "Big Bore Retro Naked" featuring a tube frame, twin rear shocks, and a de-tuned motor - making 100 HP instead of 140 HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwieXvpQNxE

The fuel injection mapping is designed to soften the "punch" that the motor would otherwise have - emulating an older, carbed bike.

4. Foolber

Foolber Member

Yamaha still makes the Vmax 1700. Its a v4

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

they don't ALL bring them to the USA. The Honda is spiffy (although I'd prefer two mufflers) but it's not a Yamaha.

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Really not a fan of the exhaust, how it looks for one, but two how it SOUNDS.

Sounds lame. and put-putty. (the cb1100)

I AM however a fan of bringing back the retro styling.

MORESO than anything though, would just be to bring the xjr1300 to the states:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkc7X2DjqIs

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Rumor around the show is that there will be a product announcement form Yamaha in June. Keep your fingers crossed.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

9. mtnbikecrazy55

NOOOO, the put putty was about the honda, NOT the xjr!!

I the the xjr sounds sick!

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

STAR Motorcycles announcement countdown HERE

In the few glimpses in the video it sure looks like a standard.

Here's my bet:

Standard motorcycle, 1300cc fuel injected in line 4 out of the FJR. Am surprised it'll carry the STAR brand, rather than Yamaha.

11. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Well, I was wrong. They bobbed a V-Star 950.

Product Page

12. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

The 4-into-1 exhaust does look honky. A 4-into-2 would give it a more balanced look.

13. mtnbikecrazy55

Damn, I was excited.

A good looking bike, but not a retro inline 4 that I was hoping for.

14. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It's a V-Twin. 2-into-1 exhaust.

15. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'm a died-in-the-wool Yamaha guy; but if given the choice to pick one bike from that Star Bolt or that new Honda 1100, ... I'd take the Honda.

The Star line is, ... in my opinion ... a "Yama-Harley".

A Harley-looking-like Cruiser that gives a big spender a V-Twin without having to grow a beard and get tattooed.

$9,999 is going to price that bike right about where somebody wanting to have a few more ponies will look-at decide to put a For Sale sign on the bike he said he'd never part with.

Leave it to Honda to bring to market a decent "Big-bike" with what looks like a Big-4 Inline with all the appeal of the legendary CB750.

16. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Yeah, pretty much agree. :cry:

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think he was referring to the Honda.

The only 4-1 I ever really appreciated was the original CB400-4; but when applied to a truly big bike like the 1100, it seems "too much."

The 400-four:

[​IMG]

The new CB1100:

[​IMG]

I'd still rather have 2 mufflers; but the manufacturers aren't blind and they see the popularity of aftermarket 4-1 systems and figure that's what we all want.

18. wizard

wizard Active Member

For looks, 4 into 2 every time, or even better 4 into 4.

19. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

The CB1100 is a good looking bike. IMO had Honda made the 4-1 or 4-2 a buyer's choice, they'd sell more of them. I prefer the 4-2 balanced look myself. Got a question...thanks to this forum I think I've gained a tad bit of knowledge about bike displacement. To my understanding most bikes 1000 cc or better are more for long distance travel (they are endurance bikes). It's a 1100. Unless you are doing something like BigFitz is doing riding 140miles back and forth to work or taking long trips regularly you won't do that bike justice for what it's capable of. Bikes move faster than cars. Albeit, I'm still a noob, on my 650 at 80~85mph and 7.5k~8k rpms I'm movin' Jack. Anything more...and there's more, there is also the "law" factor. I take her for a 75mph 1 hour or better ride regularly to insure she's getting to open up for what she is capable of doing. She does it in good form and I've concluded she has all the power I need. Somebody school me. Am I wrong here? Am I missing something? To each his/her own, your money, your choice...All I'm sayin', and I've said it before is I don't think I'd want a bike I wouldn't be able to ride in the way it was built to be ridden just to say I have more power than the next rider. Now, if Yamaha would produce a retro 650, 700 or 750....Hmmmmm.

Gary

20. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

There really is more to it than displacement. A high revving engine will generally produce more power/cc than a slow revving engine. So your 650 at 9K RPM will run rings around a liter v-twin that only turns 6-7K (Although the liter bike may out accelerate you initially).

As you clearly know, a high revving 650 (or smaller) will move. Generally speaking V-Twins that size and up get out of their own way just fine too.

Except for sport bikes bigger engines generally mean larger, heavier motorcycles. Larger and heavier usually mean more comfort, especially for long rides.

Just because the larger motorcycle is more comfortable doesn't mean you aren't using the bike for "what she is capable of doing". My 1300cc 780+ lb. Venture and I are quite happy riding short trips around town. Since it weighs so much and has a 7500 rpm redline it wouldn't keep up with your 650 around town. I think it's top speed is probably more than your 650, but I've had no desire to try it.

I haven't checked the specs on that CB1100, but I bet it weighs less than 600 lbs. It'll be quick and fairly nimble. Is it more engine than you or I would "use"? Maybe. The market likes liter + motorcycles though. Having the extra ccs there isn't going to lose them many sales, if any.