1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My '82 XJ750 "Project Shadow Warrior"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skylrk62, Jan 27, 2012.

1. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks "most interesting Man in the world" and you other guys for the comments! I take all your suggestions under consideration as I'm a beginner at this. Your right about my bike though, it is basically just the frame left. I think I'm staying with the fuel tank setup. I thought about the XJR 1300 tank, but too far(UK) & too expensive. I finally got my '95 XJ900s Diversion rear wheel from Germany in today. It is a 17" x 4" rim. I mounted the 150/70-17 tire on and it went right on perfectly!! I think it might be offset to the right a little. I'm not sure of this, as I was just eyeballing it. If it is, it's very minimal, I'll have to research how to adjust it? I also put the FZ1 caliper & bracket on as a mock up. It needs a custom bushing to fit the axle. This wheel really transforms the bike into a more modern feel, imo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I just ordered a XJ900f belly pan from ebay ebay link. I was going to go with a FJ600 belly pan from ebay, but found this one for $10 less & it's the right one. I did a mock up on paint program to see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. fintip

fintip Member

Belly pan is an excellent idea, wheel looks great, and when I look at it now, I can't help but wonder if with a sharp paint job the tank might be ok...

I really, really can't wait to see the finished product.

You show the bike sometimes with the rear elevated in a street-fighter look, but the last picture shows the rear all put together but with the rear end level. What will be the final look?

That's quite a workspace you have there!

How far is it from being able to just take it for a spin around the block to see what it feels like? Almost seems like you could just do that now, no?

How much does it weigh at present? (Assuming you may have a way to know, which you might not--in which case, a subjective answer is fine.)

4. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

The picture I used was an older one. It was the only one that I did with that angle for full mock up. The previous post is the more recent. unfortunately, it is far from running. I just yanked out the old 750cc motor & will be finishing my Mono-shock setup.

The company I work for is letting me use the space after hours to work on my bike. It's nice have a lot of room and tools to work on the bike.

I weighed the bike the other day and it was currently around 320 lbs. I'll add 20-40 lbs? I know the bike weighed over 500 when I started.

Thanks for the input. My goal on here is to inspire others viewing to create something cool, while I learn from more experienced.

5. Clownman

Clownman Member

I think it was asked earlier about how you were going to set up the digital gauge that you bought but I have a more specific question... I too am upgrading the front end on my bike. (06' Yamaha R6) the thing I just realized though tonight while pondering gauges is that I now have no speedo gear!!! So how on earth are you going to get a speed reading to the gauge? I am not going to get a fancy gauge like yours but still need to figure out some sort of pick up to translate into speed off the rear or front wheel. Any ideas?

-Chris

6. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

No worries my friend! You just have to purchase a electronic speedometer that uses a magnetic pickup usually mounted to the front wheel. I'm going with the Motogadget Motoscope Pro speedometer. There are others that are much cheaper TRY THIS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I finally fabricated my tail section for my monoshock setup. It gives me full range of motion without binding or clearence issues with shock travel. Now it's time to send in the specs to Racetech for the custom rear shock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hoopsuk

hoopsuk Member

Great going on the build skylrk62, really interesting stuff. I'll be watching the conclusion of this streetfighter with much anticipation.

9. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I added a XJ900F lower fairing or "belly pan" to the bike. I think it looks pretty cool?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I installed the XJ900 engine in for a updated mock-up. I slipped right in, except for the spacing on the brackets in the front. there seems to be a 1/4" gap on each of the tabs. I wonder how the brackets look on a seca? I'm going from rubber to solid mounts. Other than that, the bike seems to be coming together now. I also will be adding "08 GSXR1000 rearsets ti the bike. I figured out that a FZR1000 rear wheel brake rotor is the same as the 95 XJ900S wheel. I'll be tearing the motor down & performing at least a top end rebuild, maybe more?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I just mounted '08 GSX-R 1000 rearsets to the bike. I had to make a mounting plate behind it and is tacked in place. I'm going to trim down the mounting plate to give it a more minimal look after it's welded all in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

You are doing many of the same things to your bike that I want to do to mine. Your bike is awesome.

13. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

For all you guys that thought no one raced these bikes seriously, here is one for you. The 1983 Folch Yamaha XJ900

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. broberg

broberg Member

This is a really nice build!
    The lines of the seat looks "boxy" on first glance but on the second look it's just perfect!
    And.. I'm a big fan of belly pans, it's just spot on!

A question, the support struts for the rear frame/seat, wouldn't they give better/stronger support if moved down and out a bit on the frame?

15. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I'm in final countdown to getting this thing started. Connecting all the electrical & fuel injection setup now. I'm about a month out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I was at the Detroit Auto Show and saw this Maserati in metallic blue. I have found the color inspiration finally! This blue with gold rims to match the forks. The scheme will resemble this bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

This was a concern of mine. I did some testing on it. I hung on the end and jerked up & down on it. It did seem to be bothered by that. I'm not sure of the forces while riding, if they'll be greater or smaller? Aesthetically, the lines are more pleasing to me at this angle. I won't know until I test ride this beast, how it will react?

18. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

skylrk62 (great car by the way) I suggested to another forum member to put a ratchet strap on the back end and bottoming out the suspension to check for stresses before riding, might be safer than getting it all built up, testing it and finding issues. Just a thought.
    Really a spectacular build!!
    *EDIT*
    As for the seat support, you could always put another set of support tubes from the ones you have now to a spot lower down and get the "Trellis" look of a Ducati, again, just a thought. Hmmm, hard to explain in words but here's a pic of what I'm getting at. See how the supports (silver rear section) are triangulated in the pic below.
    [​IMG]

19. maximike

maximike Member

I knew I had a picture of mine here somewhere:) Technically mine was a '61, according to the title.

[​IMG]

Ha, this is a car I bought my senior year of high school. Waaaaay back when. My folks sold it pretty much for scrap while I was in the Marines.

Sweet bike by the way. I love the monoshock.

20. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey Mike
    It was probably listed as a 61 because WAY back then the new models came out around September of the previous year (IIRCC). So the 62 Skylark would have hit the showrooms in the fall of 61.
    Not like now-a-days when you see the 2014's sometimes showing up before spring of 2013. Guess everyone wants to be first!!!

Ooops, sorry about the little thread hack skylrk. :oops: :oops: