1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Old Bike, Possible New Project.. New to Mechanics..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ScreamingGigabyte, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Got my tax return, so I'm about to order some tools. I sent Chacal an email and he sent me a nice list of everything i would need, but all of it is out of my initial price range for maintenance tools. Would I be able to do most everything I need right now with just this?:

HCP1959 OEM original style DELUXE BIKE TOOL KIT,, original style plastic fold-over-flap pouch with the embossed "Yamaha" name across the top. Contains: a pair of pliers, an interchangeable-blade screwdriver handle with a fat #2 phillips blade and a long reversible double-ended #1 phillips / flat blade combination; an 8/10mm, a 10/12mm, and a 14/17mm set of combination open-end wrenches; a 19/22mm combo closed-end wrench, 5, 6, 8, and 10mm allen key wrenches; a mini-spanner wrench for the steering bearing ring nuts; and a 14mm spark plug "socket" tool. Will work for all bikes with 14mm plugs, meaning all XJ650 models, all XJ700 non-X models, all XJ750 models, all XJ900RK and XJ1100 models. Looks very authentic.
    $ 79.95

I'm planning on getting that one (or the step under it, but for the extra money I figured this was worth it). I'm just wondering if it can accomplish everything I need right now. I have a set of small socket wrenches and a friend of mine has a torque wrench I could borrow if needed. Hoping to start on my bike real soon (as soon as I get the tools in).

On a side note, I got my replacement exhaust in and my Haynes Manual (which I bring to work to read) and waiting on my replacement rear shocks. Still gotta find a right hand control, though I may have to wait until Monday when I have more time to search.

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

ScreamingG,

I can't begin to compensate Len and XJ4ever for what they've done and continue to do for me and our members here so I am not in any way trying to take business from them. At some point I intend to remove the chain from my bike and replace it with one of these tool kits to make sure I have the necessary tools should something need adjusting while riding. Right now you shouldn't be riding your bike distances that would make it difficult to get it home. IMO you should take that list somewhere like ReTool, Northern or Harbor Frieght and buy you some decent inexpensive tools to get started. Once you have used those tools and have applied knowledge you can upgrade to better tools. You said your money is funny. I understand that all too well. XJ4ever simply cannot be beat for service, quality, accuracy and shipping as far as parts for these bikes are concerned. IMO that's where you need to spend your money for now. I'll admit, I was skeptical when I placed my first order but since then I have no complaints and to be quite honest how they receive, fill and ship orders is kind of a joyful mystery around here. I've purchased a new rectifier, stator, ht caps, gaskets, grommets, friction plates, running lights conversion hardware, fuse box, petcock rebuild, gas cap rebuild, mc rebuild/sight glass, ss brake lines and a lot more. Everything fit perfectly. Install quality proper parts in a area correctly then move on to the next area. You don't want to fix something over here, then go to fix something over there and have to come back and rework the area that was suppose to done because the parts failed and you just did it. As far as the control switch is concerned...have you posted a WTB (Want To Buy) thread in For Sale, Purchase or Trade Forum? There are several members parting out bikes that might have a control switch you can get for cheap and rebuild. I checked E-bay and I didn't see any for the 650. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The on-bike toolkit, while a good idea at some point, is NOT what you need to get the bike operational. The on-bike tool kit contains real basic things for quick roadside situations.

You could spend less than that $79 at Sears, for some basic mechanic's tools to get you started.

Do you need a list of "real" mechanic's tools that you would need?

Do you own any tools at all, maybe a 3/8" drive socket set?

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

i agree - the onboard tool kit is just for if you're stranded on the roadway - NOT for doing the maintenance to bring your bike back up to par.

Harbor freight tools may not be the best - but you can get the tools necessary to get your bike back on the road safely.

THEN, further down the road you can start slowly upgrading to craftsman/snap-on/mac/etc. as your finances allow - and then pass the HF tools onto another up-and-comming mechanic.

Heck, I still use the set of metric combination wrenches that i got from them for 19.99 on sale - tolerances seem spot on, and have always worked great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piece-m ... 68790.html

5. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

I wholeheartedly recommend again that you only buy what you need when you need it! Determine what job you want to do and either figure out what tools are required or come here and ask us and we can direct you to ONLY what you need for that job. Your better off sourcing these tools locally to be honest because there will be no shipping fees and you can usually go back to the store and swap out or get a replacement easily if they break.

Another option is to go to your auto parts store and see what they have as part of their 'loan a tool' program. You only have to give them a deposit and when you bring the tool back your money is returned-as in FREE.

Sears is your best bet for decent tools. But the stuff that can't easily be screwed up or doesn't matter if it isn't the best can come from Harbor, but like all things you do get what you pay for.

To start with you must have decent screwdrivers, a decent socket set, needle nose pliers, metric allen wrench set, spark plug socket, an impact driver, and some larger spanners. Those are all essential to almost any job, but buy only what you need when you need it and you will save yourself $$ and frustration.

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

"To start with you must have decent screwdrivers, a decent socket set, needle nose pliers, metric allen wrench set, spark plug socket, an impact driver, and some larger spanners. Those are all essential to almost any job, but buy only what you need when you need it and you will save yourself $$ and frustration."

If you were to ask me - this is the basics i would say START with:

Socket Wrench
    Socket wrench exension
    Metric socket set - 6pt preferred, 8-22mm
    Metric wrench set - 7-22mm
    Metric allen wrench set - or allen head sockets -4-8mm
    Vice Grips
    Needle nose pliers
    Screwdriver set
    Spark Plug socket
    Spark plug gapper
    Feeler gauges
    Rubber mallet
    Torque wrench if you can afford it, but it really is something you should have - especially if you havent done alot of wrenching - the money spent on a torque wrench is way cheaper than the frustration and financial loss caused by snapping off bolts.

I'll update this if i think of anything else, but that should be a good start -

7. bigfitz52

The thing about Harbor Freight is that if you get stuff on sale at Sears, you can get lifetime-guaranteed Craftsman for the same price. Tools are a lifetime investment; I've been collecting them for over 45 years.

That's a good list, and pretty much covers the basics. I assume by "socket wrench" you're referring to a 3/8" drive ratchet and extension(s)?

As for allen wrenches (hex keys) get a long-arm metric set (it can be a very basic set, you only need a couple of very common sizes) and a 5mm "bit" for your ratchet.

The torque wrench can be handled through the Auto Parts Store's tool loaner program if you're not ready to make the investment.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you shop at the Craftsman Outlet Store, ... you can get up to 75% off a set of tools that were bought, opened and returned or repossessed.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/255-pc-Mecha ... ng_length=[0%20TO%20100]&flt_sp=[0%20TO%2055000]&flt_shipping_width=[0%20TO%20100]&flt_shipping_height=[0%20TO%20100]&pn=1&ps=24&pid=64694&mode=buyUsedOnly&itemSelectionType=all

9. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Agreed on what they ^ said. That's a good list mtnbike. I would add a few dentist instruments for those difficult to grasp parts like those "tiny" mixture screws, washers, springs and o-rings. A mirror and a set of tweezers would work. I'd also add a mini-flashlight.

Gary

10. bigfitz52

11. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Thank you so much! It is a bit out of my price range, but I decided to purchase one anyway. It was $150 +tax in my area, not bad for 255 tools that actually cost $300. Thanks again for this link!

I have a question about my Haynes Manual. On several sections it lists different model XJs. The XJ650 G, H, LH and J (for tire pressure and whatnot). It doesn't list my XJ650K. Which of those letters would work for mine? I want to make sure I follow correct procedures for my bike on some of these maintenance issues.

Thanks!

12. maximike

maximike Member

That last letter (on Maxims anyway) is just the year designation. "J" is 1982 "K" is 1983. So if yours isn't there I would say the "650J" is probably the closest to your Maxim.

BUT, I wouldn't use anything in that old book for tire pressure. I would go by what the manufacturer recommends. Those tire pressures in the Haynes manual were written for the tires that existed in the early 1980's, not modern tires(which I hope are what you have).

EDIT: Oh, I just saw the part about you buying the original tool kit. +1 on bigfitz's comment. Not to try to talk you out of it...Nothing wrong with that and you probably already ordered it, but to my way of thinking, that's just for somebody looking to fully restore their bike to factory condition. I don't mean you USE the tools to restore it, mean: "it's even got the factory took kit!" As you could put together a much better kit for carrying on the bike yourself.

13. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

I learned about the letter/year designations from hogfiddles, I just wasn't sure which models were actually similar (if any) to my bike. I do need to get an on-bike toolkit sooner or later. One of the routes my friend and I plan on taking takes us a good ways from civilization, so a toolkit would be a very wise purchase for me. Though now it will have to wait, as I have to save some money for tires and a right-hand control. Can't wait to pick up the toolkit and get to work!

14. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

15. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Just got my shocks in. I'm wondering if I need those metal rings in the center of the ends like the one has? Do I need to order some?

[​IMG]

Top right has one, the other three do not.

16. RickCoMatic

The Metal Rings are called "Bushings"
    Depending on the O.D. of the Mount, ... you may or may not need them.

Shock-Eye Bushings are a readily-available aftermarket product.
    You'll find them in a wide-variety of shapes and sizes.

They come in various colors, too.
    Rubber or High-performance Polyurethane.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/En ... k-Eyes.asp

17. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure of the name of them. Could I use the busings from my old shocks with these? The old shocks aren't bad, just far too terribly rusty for me to clean.

18. RickCoMatic

If they're not worn-out, ... sure.

Wash 'em and soak 'em with Armor-All.

19. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Well, I ended up not going by Harbor Freight. A friend of mine told me to check out Lowe's (since Sears was out of the Craftsman Refurbished Toolkit). They had a Kobalt 227pc Mechanic's Tool Set for $150 (Regular $200) so I snatched one up. Got finished tonight putting all the pieces where they go. Can't wait for some time off to start wrenching on the XJ!

20. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

So I put the new exhaust and rear suspension on today. The exhaust flanges were not bulky like the stock ones so there's a gap between where the flange is and where the block is. Will this work?

Also, I swapped out the master cylinder, but where the electrical plug hooks up, it is different. The old one has a solid core plug.in the middle And the new one just has two metal fins where I'm guessing something should just hook to it I'll try and post pictures, but it may be a few days, as my computer died and I'm waiting on my new one to get here.