1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shinko Tire Review/ comparison

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Krafty, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Krafty

Krafty Member

Howdy folks, I just checked the dates on my tires and at an age of 6 to 8 years I really should replace them,

So im looking at the Shinko Brand and im torn between the 712 at 120/90-18

or the 230 tour master at 120/90-18 or 130/90-18

My question is does any one know if there is a noticeable ride difference between the 230 and the 712, im gonna be doing the short trips and daily commuting to work during the week, but on weekends ill be doing 3 + hr rides back home in almost any weather.

once its certified and insured I'm also gonna look at updating the bars and grips for more long distance comfort.

looking forward to hear your suggestions.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can give a bit of "general" advice, not based on experience with Shinko's in particular:

If you ride on freeways/highways/motorways with rain grooves, it's a good idea to avoid front tires with a single, straight center groove as they tend to want to follow the rain grooves.

I just looked at both of the tires you're considering; the 712 front has a continuous straight center groove; the 230 front does not.

Something to consider.

3. happydog500

happydog500 Member

imho,

I bought two Shinko tires because they had super good ratings. I loved them until I put them on the bike. I can hardly wait until I wear them out because I won't buy them again.

It is like ridding on ice when you turn (yes they are broken in).

Can't remember how much but I have I think 6 or 8 ounces of wheel weights on.

Guy at the shop told me he wouldn't put them on his kids tricycle.

I argured he was wrong, that the reviews where very good. In fact, they where the most stars at the site. He was right. I only found out AFTER I bought them.

Should of paid the extra $25 and got a real nice tire.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris.

4. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

I have Shinko 712's on my CB900. They are fairly new, but I have no complaints so far. They ride smooith and seem to grip well enough.

5. happydog500

happydog500 Member

This is the same as my experience, until I had to swerve and brake hard.

Chris.

6. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

I had my first and only getoff on a Shinko front. Just washed out and left me sliding..admittedly I was pushing it :) I can't swear it was the Shinko's fault but I'm not getting another one....

7. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Those 230's are tempting to try......pretty much those or dunlop 404's are to be going on my 550.

8. Krafty

Krafty Member

Happy dog are you running the 712's?

Im leaning towards the 230 anyways, but I think mine are gonna wear out before they get a chance to get hard, once this summer gets rolling Im gonna be putting on 400 + km's every weekend.

Now one thing I noticed on my old tires is even tho they are 6 and 8 years old, they are super soft with no signs of deterioration or cracking. I'm almost tempted to put some running on them before i upgrade.

9. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

yeah happy dog .. 712 '???

10. ElkHavenSeca

So i have the shinko 712 front and rear on the seca i just bought ! they still have the tire nubs on them . i have not put many miles on bike and when i did it was wet . the last owner had them put on , and i read reviews also and they seemed good . !!Are they really that bad ?? sure would hate to dump this beautiful bike after all the work i did because of bad tires ?? My last seca always got pirelli tires and i never had a problem i could blame on the tire , my throttle maybe but not those sticky tires .

11. Krafty

Krafty Member

how much do the pirelli's go for?

12. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Doggie got the 712's

13. ElkHavenSeca

when i bought the pirelli's some 30 years ago for my first seca they were like 90 dollars ... cant imaging how much now ?

14. happydog500

happydog500 Member

I think they are. Just MHO.

15. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

I have the 712 on mine, very happy with them. The only thing I had to do was put 2oz of weight to balance them. The front tire tracks pretty straight even over rain grove or uneven pavement. For the price and ratings, after I wear them out I will be getting the same ones.

16. bkerby

bkerby Member

Been running the 712's for a couple of years and have no complaints, last rear tire did not require any weights to balance it. My expeience has been very good will buy them again.