1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Duplicate title

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by wwj750, Apr 23, 2012.

1. wwj750

wwj750 Member

I recently learned that I lost the title for my motorcycle (along with some other important documents) and I'm wondering how to get a new one. Since I replaced the motor in my bike, I'm told I need to get a new one anyway. Im in Minnesota & Im sure the laws vary from state to state. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact title laws for your state, but typically, if you are still the owner, a copy of the title can be provided for a small fee (since nothing really changes from their end).

However, again, unless there is something COMPLETELY different in Minnesota motor vehicle title law, the engine has nothing to do with the titled VIN. The title follows the frame, not any other part of the bike.

Give your DMV a call, email, or pay a visit. A copy of the title should be EASY, and the new motor won't play any role in it.

EDIT: I'm assuming YOUR name is on the title you lost. If it hadn't been transferred, it'll be a different story

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Same in Wisconsin, you just have to pay a fee and they'll print you another one.

4. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Thanks alot guys-I was expecting it to be more complicated here in the land of 10,000 stupid laws LOL. & yeah, I sure was expecting a fee. The Man has got to get his cut, too-right?

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

No, The Man doesn't have to get his cut.......He's gonna take it anyway.

6. 66Elco

66Elco New Member

Just take ur reg to the dmv and they will get u a new title

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Here it's simple IF you are already the owner AND the title and registration is already in your name........... Go to DMV, answer the questions and fill out the form so that they can verify that you are indeed the person that the title is for, pay them the $10.00 or whatever it is, and then wait for it to arrive in the mail. Heaven help you if you're NOT the peros that the title is for, though, cuz in that case DMV won't help you either.

Dave F

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

oh and i just realized, in wisconsin, the title goes under the ENGINE VIN, not the frame VIN. This is how people can build custom frames and get them titled and legal under donor engines.

9. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Look here: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/ ... pageID=568

10. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Thanks JP-this should work.

11. Gaucho

Gaucho New Member

A small observation, registering the bike using the engine number as VIN is the way it used to be in Wisconsin. Now they use frame number like everyone else. I purchased a 1967 Kawasaki from the original owner in Wisconsin and had to go thru the nightmare of explaining to the people of FL DMV that the numbers were the engine numbers (on out of state bike FL DMV inspects the VIN). Finally I was able to get a letter from WI DMV stating that they used to use the engine numbers in the past.
    Gaucho

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

2 years ago I paid $85.00 for a duplicate title in Florida !

What a rip-off for fifty cents worth of ink and paper.