1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A good choice of tires?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by The_Animal, Feb 15, 2013.

1. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

Was wondering what fellow xj owners prefer on brand of tires? i need to get a new set and want to know whats the best, for durability and comfort with a reasonable price?

2. maxim82

maxim82 Member

3. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

very nice, that jumps start my question lol, thank you. i like the continentals from mtnbikecrazy. so what brand did you end up getting if you got them?if so how do they ride?

4. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

This is a really tough question to answer in any meaningful way (I asked the same thing when I joined) because the answer is so subjective...because what's important to me may be irrelevant to you or the next guy who answers... are you interested in a low price? How about a tire that lasts a long time? Gives a comfortable ride? Sticks to the corners like glue? You get my drift....

I bought the Bridgestone Spitfire (rear) and a Kenda (can't remember which model) from jakewilson.com last year...I've been happy, but I don't put a lot of miles on my bike nor do I ride aggressively...so low price and new/fresh tires were important to me...someone else might jump on and say it's important to have matching front and rear...or others'll say stay away from tires with a centerline groove (they'll catch in rain grooves in the road).

I think you'll get what you pay for...but it'll be important to know what kind of riding you're going to be doing...read what the manufacturer says about their tires and try to match what they say to what you're expecting...then look for a low price....lastly MAKE SURE THE "DATE CODE" ON THE TIRE IS RECENT...don't buy "New Old Stock" tires...get the newest tires you can get.

That's just my $0.02

5. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

I prefer the Dunlop 404s. The last set I bought at a local shop for just over $200. Good ride and no center grove. You can get them online much cheaper...

6. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

I'll go with the 404's also. I have them on both my XJ's and am pleased with their performance. Good price point too.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I too can recommend Dunlop D404's. I have them on one of my Secas and they're quite good, especially for the price. Good treadlife as well.

8. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Yep, they'll probably last a good 12 to 15 years. :wink:

9. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

i was leading towards the continental go tires, but it seems dunlop is a great choice to alot. since i like the dunlop gt501 im gonna have to flip a coin on this one.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i use kenda challenger, cheap and they do all i ask of them.
    if conti made a size for a seca i would try those

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I meant 10K ~ 12K miles out of a rear vs. the 7K I get with the Avons. 8O

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They do. I have Conti-Go tires on my 750.

13. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

how you like the conti-go's?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I only have around 1500 miles on them so I can't say anything about wear. I find that the bike handles well and isn't upset much by tar snakes. The grip is decent, though nothing at all as grippy as a sport tire. I tend to only ride hard occasionally, and have found the tires to give enough feedback to let me know when I'm pushing the limits of the front tire. I can lean the bike right to it's limit in slower bends without any trouble, but It's definitely not a tire that I'd use for a track day (never-mind that I don't do that anymore). They are sold as an all-around touring/commuting tire, and I think they fit the bill perfectly.

15. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

thanks for the input. gives me more of an idea.

16. Foolber

Foolber Member

when i bought my bike it had some off brand "challenger" or something, not to impressed with that tire....my next buy will defiantly be a dunlop, like they say a little pricey but totally worth it.

17. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

ya price isnt too much of an issue when it comes to tires in my opinion. but thats funny you mentioned that, cuz when i bought my bike it also had challengers, haha. that must be what to put on when selling.

18. KDub

KDub Member

I'm using Bridgestone BT45s H rated. They're working well so far, can't say much about wear life except that they haven't squared off in over 500 miles.

19. pirok

pirok Member

Bridgestone Battlax 45 contains Dual Tread Compound (DTC). The center compound secures long mileage and durability, while the tread edge compound secures grip and traction in corners.
    Very satisfied with these tires. Last 10.000 km. Good in tight corners, you feel very safe. You can get tires with better durability - at the expense of grip.

20. The_Animal

The_Animal New Member

it seems most of bridgestone tires have centerlines, which ive heard it can be bad in wet conditions. have you been in wet conditions with those?