1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Proper Way To Clean Windshild and Shild

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by happydog500, Mar 29, 2013.

1. happydog500

happydog500 Member

My little windshield on the bike and the shield on my helmet is dirty. A friend told me he let a guy ride his bike and he came back and told him he cleaned the flip down shield on the helmet. He used the car windshield sponge at the gas station.
    Now, it's "wrecked" because he cleaned it that way.

I never found how to do it without "wrecking it." I guess it puts scratches in it. How can I clean the windshield on the bike and my helmet without scratching it?

Thank you,
    Chris.

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Most glass cleaners have ammonia which will haze the Lexan used in shields and windshields.

Mild soap and water is ok. There are specialty products, one is called Plexus. Plexus has gotten pricey and when my can is gone I might look for something else.

I know National Cycle makes a cleaner, that I haven't used. I have used their Rain Zip to shed water and think that is awesome.

3. FJRider

FJRider New Member

Pledge spray on Furniture polish is what I use here in New Zealand. No doubt you will have a similar product there.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I use Palmolive Dish-washing Liquid to clean the Windscreen.

5. biggyfaction

biggyfaction Member

i used the car headlight refurbish kit on a couple of peoples bikes. seemed to work for for them.

6. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Common error with that type of plastic. Polycarbonate can scratch pretty easy and any abrasive, alcohol based, or ammonia based cleaner (windex) should be avoided. If it's in good shape the best thing is a very mild dish soap and lots of water with a terry cloth. If it's already scratched and hazy you can use a non-abrasive toothpaste with again lots of water (think wet sanding technique) and use side to side motions with a cotton cloth. Either way you don't want to apply a lot of pressure.

7. FJRider

FJRider New Member

I found The Furniture polish returned my 20 year old FJ1200's screen to almost new looking. It seems to fill in the smaller scratches.
    Be gentle (and patient) and use a soft cloth.

8. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I think Pledge has silicone in it (at least here in Blighty) so maybe that's what made the scratches appear less? I use furniture polish on my visor too, seems to do a good job of removing rubbish without damage and makes bugs (when we actually get bug weather!) seem to stick less.
    Also I use Bob Heath anti fogging spray on the inside during most of the year :cry:

9. SteveM

SteveM Member

I highly recommend Plexus plastic cleaner for your windshields and visors.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My current fav. is PlastX by Maquires.

dave

11. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Windex makes an ammonia-free cleaner which works well for general cleaning. The headlight restorers and plastic restorers also work well, especially on fine scratches, just make sure to use a very soft cloth such as microfiber towels or cloth diapers (my rag of choice).

You can also machine buff plastic if using a soft wheel and blue compound.

12. Rickinduncan

Rickinduncan Member

My cleaner of choice is also pledge spray on. Also use the same stuff for the chrome and fibreglass parts. Just make sure your rag is soft and clean

13. FJRider

FJRider New Member

I've found Pledge works well on visors ... especially in the rain. Water runs off easier.

14. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

Pledge uses wax in there products thats what making everything look new it fills in the sratches.Does a nice job but how much wax build up is there.It also helps with bugs

15. FJRider

FJRider New Member

The first wipe with a damp cloth at a gas station to remove the accumulation of bugs, removes any possibility of build-up.

16. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Soap and water and then the furniture polish for me,on a long run when you have a few bugs on the visor,couple of pieces of paper towel wet on the visor, then fill the bike up, wipe the visor down the polish seems to help the dirt and grime come off easily and when the bugs are damp they come off with a minimum of effort.

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

eagle one detailer, i find Pledge stays smeary unless you wipe it too much.
    eagle one, i use this on everything

18. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Since the mosquitoes up here are big enough to actually RIDE your bike, we learn how to clean them up quick. I've always used dish soap and a microfiber (keep a spray bottle and cloth in the saddlebags), but I did decide to get some garage based specialty cleaners. Eagle One is on the list.

19. raptor8

raptor8 Member

SimpleGreen and water 50/50 in a squirt bottle and a micro fiber cloth. I used the simple green on my eyeglasses and the microfiber cloths are machine washable and available at Harbor Freight by the bag. Go Easy! Let it soak in and gently polish out, especially helmet shields!
    In winter, lemon juice or vinegar will keep your goggles or faceshields from fogging up.
    tips from a retired firefighter 8)

20. cdnjj

cdnjj Member

Blue Wonder brand microfiber cloths work really well. I was skeptical that just a cloth with water could work but does. I use these things on everything glass or plastic I want clear and streak free.

For polishing out minor scratches I have used Meguiars Plastx to great effect (works for hockey shields too). Go easy with it.