1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just got the bike, leaking oil. Help Needed

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DMoreyXJ550, May 15, 2007.

  1. DMoreyXJ550

    DMoreyXJ550 Member

    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hy guys, Im new to these forums and I would first like to say "Hello".

    NE Wayz,
    I just baught a 1982 Maxim XJ550 with about 34k on it for $900. I have a oil leak on the top of the engin and im almost possitive thats its the head gasket. My question to you guys is:

    How hard is it to pull off the top of the motor and change the gasket you're self? Or am I better off paying some shop a few hundred bucks to do it for me? If you think I would be better off doing it, were do I find parts for these bikes online? I can't find a decient site with 82 Maxim parts anywere.
    I would be soo happy if you guys might be able to throw some knoledge my way.

    Thanks,
    Derek

    PS: Here is a link to a short video i made of the bike to show ya what I'm working with.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8663937915
     
  2. WarDog12

    WarDog12 Member

    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Detroit, MI
  3. Old-Grunt

    Old-Grunt Member

    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    8O the bike has honda on the tank?????

    is it the headgasket or valve cover?clean well and be sure its headgasket before you tear her apart.
    not a bad job if you have a good manual,and are a bit mechanical,timeing the cams can be a bit tricky,but take your time recheck and double check yourself and you should be OK
     
  4. Nick

    Nick Member

    Messages:
    969
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Vernon, BC Canada
    Welcome Derek, I was caught by surprise to see the Honda tank on your bike also. lol

    Valve cover gasket is no major problems, don't really need a manual on that one.

    The head gasket I would suggest getting a manual prior to getting into it. However, assuming your mechanically inclined, with help from this site you could get it done by searching past topics and asking questions.
     
  5. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    You'll have a good time wrenching on YAMAHA.

    Most first-timer's marvel at Yamaha Engineering.

    34,000 Miles.
    Pull the head.
    Decarbon; complete.
    Lap valves
    New valve seals
    Sand and polish combustion chambers.
    Sand and polish Piston crowns.
     
  6. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    In addition to the Honda tank those are not stock Maxim bars.

    Also, LH controls are way too far inboard - They need to be out by the grip so you can reach them with thumb with hand on grip.

    Valve cover gasket is easy. Don't forget the seals that are on the valve cover bolts too. The bolts have a flange on them and bottom out against the head. The rubber on the seals compresses to hold the cover tight and as they degrade they loose their springiness.
     
  7. PghXJ

    PghXJ Member

    Messages:
    702
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I still cannot find a cheap source for those bolt bushings. The one that you require 8, are $8.24 a piece at bikebandit, and the other one that 4 are required are like $4-$5 each....

    it's crazy.
     
  8. DMoreyXJ550

    DMoreyXJ550 Member

    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    LMAO The previous owner slaped Honda Emblems on the tank. It is the original tank... I have since moved the LH controles to the grip since that pic but I only use the choke every once and a wile. The bike has had the turn signals removed. The exhaust is after market as well, making it EXTREAMLY LOUD. Deff. a head turner here in Ohio.
    I have named the bike "YamaHonda" due to it haveing Honda emblems on the tank. :D

    I'm haveing trouble differentiating which gasket the leak is comming from now....I see the leak but I don't know which gasket I'm looking at. :?:
    And I have no manual, :cry:
     
  9. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Intake, exhaust and spark plugs all go into the head. Leaking above them is valve cover. Below them is big job territory.

    The 8 I got from Partsnmore for $2 each. The 4 I didn't do, those bolts don't have the flange anyhow.
     

Share This Page