1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

project finished took for first ride today(pics)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by peeks, Mar 29, 2013.

1. peeks

peeks Member

Fi.wished my 550 project today it is looking great. I do have an intake leak it has hangi.g idle at 3-4000 and goes like crazy with propane leak test. Have to get that fixed this weekend. Let me k.ow what you guys think about putti.g the chrome trim around the fenders as well. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Nice job, I reckon the chrome strip like you got on the fuel tank would look cool on the rear fender at least & maybe on the front too...

Did you fit paper gaskets to the inlet stubs when you bolted them on? I made that mistake as it looked like the stubs had a seal moulded into them!

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Superb paint job! Would look nice with just the 3 tuning forks on the tank. Just my 2 cents! Great looking bike. Enjoy the ride.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"Finished." Riiigght... this is your first old bike, isn't it?

We'll see what the bike has to say about that "finished" idea. You've done a very nice job on it so far, once you get the carbs sorted (you couldn't have done a running vacuum sync with a leak as you described) and get it idling and running smoothly you should at least be able to start riding it.

Then the bike will show how finished you really are. For instance: did you rebuild the tach drive? If not, it will begin to leak within a couple hundred miles of putting the bike back into service. Did you replace all of the bulbs in the instrument cluster? If not, they will begin to fail, one at a time. How about the tail light bulb and all 4 signal lamps? Thirty year old light bulbs often don't take kindly to being re-introduced to vibration. Do you still have the original sealed-beam headlight? Don't be surprised if it dies about the second time you hit a good gnarly set of railroad tracks at road speed. (Upgrade to a halogen H4.)

Did you replace the wheel bearings, front and rear? How about the valve stem seals in the cast wheels? I'll bet the bike can think of more things than you can...

Don't be upset when the bike starts trying to drive you crazy with little issues once you start riding it. It comes with the territory, welcome to the club.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Finished.......that's a good one, I'll have to remember to tell that one to a friend of mine. Heehee

You're not finished----see, you've already got an airleak:)

You've gotten to this point.....now you're at the BEGINNING!!!!!!

Actually, congrats on a nice job so far :)

Dave F

6. peeks

peeks Member

It is to the point I could ride it but I fought the urge to ride to work this morning because I want it to run right before I ride it is a bear and not good I'm sure shifting into 1st with the revs at 4000

7. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

How do you shift? You look really small on the bike. :D

As others have said, good job so far but the adventure is just beginning. Follow the advice you get here and you'll do OK.

And again, it looks awesome!

8. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Nice work Peeks! Bike looks great! I'm sure it took a lot of effort to get it to were it is now. You must have spent hours on cleaning, painting and polishing the engine alone. Looks awesome. Don't get discouraged about the little stuff. I found the cosmetics were the hardest part of the restoration. When you consider all the sanding, painting, buffing and polishing. As long as you at went through the brakes and refurbished them, you'll be fine. Just make sure you have road service of some kind. I installed a hitch on my van and have a u-haul close the the house. So just in case, my wife is my road service.

9. peeks

peeks Member

It is to the point I could ride it but I fought the urge to ride to work this morning because I want it to run right before I ride it is a bear and not good I'm sure shifting into 1st with the revs at 4000

10. peeks

peeks Member

Got intakes from chacal once again his service was great. put all together and she purrs like a kitten now. wish I had a color tune anyone close want to help me with that.