1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bad starter clutch verification?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mock944, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mock944

mock944 New Member

I am new to this site. I have a 1983 maxim xj750m, the bike is just under 23k I picked it up for a few hundred dollars. The bike was sitting a few years and did not have a starter. I put a new used starter on (starter works fine tested on and off the bike) bike runs like a top but when starting it does not always want to catch and turn over. When the bike is warm it seems to be more prone to not catch and turn the engine over while the starter spins making a grinding noise. All the teeth on the starter gear and starter shaft are fine no wear same goes for the gear the starter buts up to on the engine I spun this gear all teeth check out fine. I did notice the oil light flashes when trying to start was wondering if the oil indicator could have a safety causing the starter to short. This is the only other thing I can think of besides the starter clutch and want to make sure before I tackle the clutch.

I am guessing the previous owner was having the same problem due to the missing starter when I purchased the bike.

Thanks for any help,

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

When you push the start button the oil light should come on as a lamp test. Not an issue.

What you're describing sounds like a slipping starter clutch. One thing that can cause that is the wrong oil or an additive package. Do an oil and filter change with an appropriate oil and see if the problem goes away.

3. mock944

mock944 New Member

Thanks XJ Wizard I have tried an oil change and filter change both synthetic and non street bike wet clutch oil. Now you mentioned additive package is this some kind of quick fix added to the oil?

Also do you, or do you know of any good information on this site about how to change the starter clutch, I hear you need to pull the engine, split the case and it's a good idea to do the chain guides at the same time. Should anything else be replaced while she's open (other problem areas with this motor)? timing chains guides considering the 23k on the bike?

Thanks for any help again,

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you used synthetic oil, then that very well could be the issue.

You need to use a conventional, motorcycle specific oil. NOT a synthetic, even if it's for motorcycles. Castrol 4T 20W50 would be good.

With ony 23K miles on the bike, I doubt the starter clutch is worn out.

If it is, you have the repair scenario correct; but you WILL NEED a service manual; and I recommend it be a factory book.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

By additive package I meant any after market snake oil that is supposed to perform miracles when added to the oil.

Put in the oil fiz recommended and nothing else. See what happens.

6. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

7. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

I read on an earlier forum about being able to repair starter clutch WITHOUT removing engine - it's on the site somewhere, and basically you need to remove alternator cover, remove stator to get to oil pan which once removed enables you to access the starter clutch; two long screwdrivers to remove rollers etc...just very important to stuff the engine void with strips of cloth because if anything drops in, then it really is an engine strip.

8. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

I just saw that I am a biker wannabe -I have a XJ750 Maxim X 1985 - looks beautiful but the rain plays havoc with the coils - need a longer mudguard, methinks.

9. bigfitz52

Yeah except it can't actually be done that way. (Replacing the starter clutch.)

Removing the stator has nothing to do with the oil pan; and while you can SEE the BACK of the starter clutch through the alternator cavity, the screws holding it together are on the other side. You can't get to them and there's no way to turn the clutch assembly over.

Replacing the starter clutch involves splitting the cases. (Unless like one of our more creative members did, you want to knock a hole in the top of your transmission housing then patch it.)

Doing an oil change to the correct type of oil is a much easier first step.

10. mock944

mock944 New Member

ok changed to the 20w50 non synthetic today seemed to help the problem but after a nice ride when she's hot it will still slip and grind. When the motor is cool its fine.

11. bigfitz52

Is the 20W50 you used a motorcycle specific oil, or an automotive oil?

It has to be motorcycle oil; NOT "car" oil.

12. mock944

mock944 New Member

yes motorcycle oil from my local yamaha honda dealer non synthetic. Going to run her today and change the oil again, thinking some synthetic is still lurking inside.

I have to blame my own stupidity on the last oil change. The dealer was out of my usual oil so I grabbed the one next to it in a rush, found the receipt today turns out it was synthetic. Now I am wondering if it is possible for these starter clutches to have a lethal dose of synthetic, or do they usually come back to life with proper oil?

13. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

The oil shouldn't have any lasting effects, I would remove the starter and spray down the area with some kind of solvent; with the little plastic tube you might be able to get the synthetic out of the clutch, then change your oil.

14. JayEye

JayEye Member

I went for my first long ride Tuesday, about 40 miles into it I stopped to get gas, and when I went to restart the bike I heard crunch grind, crunch grind. I bumped the starter for 10 minutes and I finally got it to start. When I got home she fired up every time no problem, the outside temp fell 10 or 15 deg, but it wasn't a hot day to begin with 65 maybe. She starts beautifully cold every time and I've used Valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil for over 2 years now. I'd also just replaced the oil the day before the ride.

I pulled the starter, and all gears are good, both brushes are good, bench test went well. So am I looking at the splitting the case next? If so who wants to buy a Seca?

15. retread83

retread83 Member

Started having the same problem with mine,37k miles. After checking further I will decide what to do.I really like it,but not enough to throw all that time and money into it.

16. stevo32

stevo32 Member

Hey bro stopp pissing your money away on oil dude, its the starter clutch. Just split the cases and then replaice the primary guide that is a weak point for these bikes.+

17. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Since we haven't heard anything back from this guy on the issue for getting on 3 months, I think maybe pissing money away on oil did the trick & it was in fact the synthetic he added by accident causing the starter clutch to slip :?

Just split the cases and whip that starter clutch out anyway, ten minute job if you don't waste time on a manual :p