1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pesky Tach Drive Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Tegyauto, May 16, 2011.

1. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

So I replaced the o-ring and seal per bigfitz's write-up and I'm still getting oil dripping.

I have noticed some play now between the rubberized part of the tach cable where it meets the curved metal part that goes into the drive unit. Also there is oil right there however there is oil on the fork piece that holds the drive in place too.

Could it be that oil is leaking from the cable itself? Then running down to the lowest part (bottom of that little fork) due to stops and go's?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If your oil seal had failed; and provided the new seal was installed properly; what probably has happened is that while the seal was bad it pumped the cable full of oil, which is now dribbling out.

Pull the cable off completely, wipe everything dry, and run the motor for a few. The drive unit should not produce any oil.

Pull the cable apart (pull inner cable out) and flush it out with Brake Cleaner; then sparingly re-lube the cable before reinstalling.

I suspect the cable is full of oil from the previous failure. (Provided you didn't install the seal backwards.)

3. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Thanks!

4. bigfitz52

Anytime. I rebuilt two of them in the course of the how-to; one has around 3400 miles and the other over 6000 miles and neither is leaking (although some "misting" is occuring on the higher-mileage bike.)

If it turns out the cable ISN'T full of old oil from before, then the seal didn't seal for whatever reason. Was the shaft overly worn or corroded/pitted? And the seal was installed as in the article, with the "open" side of the lips toward the motor?

Be sure to let us know what you find.

5. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

I cleaned the cable and took a short 7 mile ride tonight but as you know it was pretty cold (Oxford Michigan). It didn't seem to leak other than one drop. Maybe some oil left over still from the cleaning ran down. I need to take it out on a warmer day to really put some miles on it and get the motor fully warmed up to know for sure I think.

As for the seal its on the correct way I am a bit worried about some wear on the geared shaft that goes in last it has a small score in it about where the o-ring sits over it once everything is assembled. Oh well looks like Friday we are supposed to get some better weather I'll try again then.

6. bigfitz52

OXFORD??? I used to live in Oxford. (On the little "stub" of old Lakeville Rd. that's now a cul-de-sac.) Now I'm over in Capac. (Grew up in Romeo.)

Once the weather breaks I'll be happy to help you with it if need be. If the gear shaft is worn/scored right where the seal rides, it may leak; or it may leak for a while until the new seal beds into the "wear."

7. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Nice, I'm staying at a buddy of mines in-between Oxford and ploss lake while my Rochester apartment's roof is repaired from tree damage. You ever make it to the Romeo bike night? I haven't gone yet but I hear its getting bigger.

8. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

uh oh...noob here in close proximity to you other Michiganders. Just finishing up a 650 Seca in Linden, MI. We may need to set up an in-state event/ride if we get many more in this vicinity.

...and thanks for the indirect info...my tach drive seal needs replacement, and I'm glad to know about this potential 'false alarm' on installation failure.

9. bigfitz52

10. boldstar

boldstar Member

I have noticed some play now between the rubberized part of the tach cable where it meets the curved metal part that goes into the drive unit. Also there is oil right there however there is oil on the fork piece that holds the drive in place too.
    hi i was also wadering if that free play shoud be their as i had the same problem but i bin wiping the oil off. will follow up what fitz advises regarding removing inner csble then check if its an old problem thanks fitz

11. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Yup...saw and studied that thread...ordering seal and "D-ring" from Len...

12. waldo

waldo Member

Problem solved then LENS the MAN

13. bigfitz52

Anytime. If your tach drive looks like pic #1 in my piece, then it needs to be rebuilt. Both of mine failed within about 400 ~ 600 miles after putting the bikes back in service. I don't think the seal likes coming back on active duty after the hard life it had and then all the sitting.

If the sheath has a lot of play in relation to the ferrule, then the cable is starting to come apart. Brand new ones aren't expensive, once the sheath is compromised, the cable should be replaced anyway.

14. waldo

waldo Member

From experience replace the sheath and the drive cable at the same time once the cable goes it tears up the sheath even if you cant see it from the outside and will quickly tear up a new cable. I feel like a cheerleader I will have to buy some chapstick

15. bigfitz52

THAT'S what counts. The "Big E." You're not "cheerleading" you're contributing.

16. waldo

waldo Member

uh oh Waldo gets a pat on the head. Tomorrow Ill get a "no no no" and a kick of reality, thats ok though love you man :oops: