1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HELP IDLES AT 7500

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kyle10149, Apr 16, 2013.

1. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

Hi, i have been using this forum since i bought my 1982 maxim 650 about a year ago. i paid $150 for it not running replace cdi box and it runs but it wouldn't hold an idle at all and it would hang any time you let of the throttle or used the clutch so this winter i pulled the carbs off and did the whole nine yards on them they clunk tested well. i cleaned everything inside and out per the tech write up on here then i set the floats. So i re-installed them, and first of all it still don't want to start without squirting a little gas in it. and once it starts it wants to idle at 7500 i tried adjusting it to bring it down but it made no change. finally i came down to it has to be a vacuum leak well the throttle seals are new, i RTVED the intake manifolds, and the intake manifolds are not cracked at all and i replaced the little caps on the sync ports. then i figured the throttle has to be open so i pulled them back off re bench synced made sure every thing was clean and rest everything. still the same problem. Finally i came down to the linkage when i take the throttle linkage out of the pedestal on the carbs it will idle at about 1200 with a little bit of "choke". And the cable seems to move OK not resistance free but not really dragging. im guessing the hard start has to do with its 40F out or i didn't get the enrichment circuit clean enough but the idle is kicking my A**

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Did you check/adjust the valves yet?

It's unrelated to your symptoms, but you won't be able to properly adjust the carbs unless they're in spec.

You sure you don't have the cables mixed up, or the throttle cable has popped out of place up at the top somewhere?

Sounds cable-related to me.

But you still gotta check your valve clearances and replace your brake hoses.

3. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

The cables are hooked up right the throttle is in the center and "choke " is on the right hand side when sitting on the bike and i did adjust the valves rebuilt the caliper new lines and pads all the way around

4. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

the throttle cable could be bound up . also there ie a udjust ment right under the handlebar on cable itself that if screwed too far it will increase the idle its at bottom of hard plastic bend just under grip

5. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Could you post pictures of your cables setup?

6. webofdeception

webofdeception Member

i had similar issues last year, and oddly enough the swinging little arm off the throttle on the bars (which seemed to swing freely and have no obvious issues looking at it) was the culprit. i just moved it with my hand while the bike was running and it just swung to a different spot and the issue was gone *shrug*

it sort of wanted to swing back into a place where it idled high, but just mucking with it a little bit and now it swings freely and has no issues. idk. these bikes have all sorts of quirks.

i also took the tank of and re-seated the cable a little but that was before the issue was resolved...i think. actually i dont recall if it was before or after.

7. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

I think I'm just gonna shoot a cable at it that's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure

8. ElkHavenSeca

Did you try unscrewing the adjustment at end of elbow inder grip .I bet thats all it is !! mine has done it many times . Its an easy fix

9. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

Don't unscrewing it make the cable casing longer ineffect making the cables exposed ends shorter inturn raising rpm right now it is all the way tight (short)

10. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

Don't unscrewing it make the cable casing longer ineffect making the cables exposed ends shorter inturn raising rpm right now it is all the way tight (short)

11. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

12. ElkHavenSeca

I thought it might have gotten unscrewed . yes shorter is the way to go to decreas RPM's

13. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

Yeah I checked whrn you had said that but its short

14. kyle10149

kyle10149 Member

Yeah I checked whrn you had said that but its short

15. waldo

waldo Member

When you install the new cable check out the cable/ wiring routing diagram in the manual. Install it right install it once move on to the next project