1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1980 XJ Cafe Project (With Completed Pictures)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Clownman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Clownman

Clownman Member

I left the tabs to hold the ignition switch and another switch as an accessory piece. I have yet to find a keyed switch that will fit though. Right now the original key and ignition is zip tied just under the left side hole, a real pain in the ass to get to.

As for the levers, they are ebay specials. I think they were like 100 bucks shipped from a place in TX. They are pretty close knock offs to the RSV's. My buddy had a set on his bike and you could not tell the difference minus the lettering on the RSV's. Feel the exact same.

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

love it, well done.

I wouldnt have wrapped the pipes, or at least the mufflers, but i still dig it.

Thank you for your service as well :)

3. waldo

waldo Member

Nice job Dude nice

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Cool, I got a set called "MIX" from a place in China! They were like £28 shipped & very impressive for the money. Like that style of lever a lot.

On the key switch, I think you can get something with a smaller diameter from RS components/maplin/radio shack or similar? (or perhaps off one of those electric bikes if you have them there, they have a panel-mount key switch or somethimes 2, one in the battery & another on the "fairing")

5. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I believe the 750 Seca tank grommet hole is around 8mm. Not sure if/how large the hole can be drilled w/o causing a leak. This simple key switch (single pole, single throw; SPST) might work: Digi-Key switch

6. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Fantastic cafe racer. Well done. I'm working on my own cafe racer project. A 1982 xj650 yics. I hope the result is somewhere near as good as yours.

7. hoopsuk

hoopsuk Member

Good job. Works well. Is it a loud and raucous beast to ride.

8. Proximal

Proximal Member

Awesome ride sir!

9. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

What prep did you have to do to that engine to paint it? did you pull off the clutch covers etc? How hard was that 2k ceramic coating to use? does it still look nice? fuel resistant? I'm looking at doing mine very soon....... thanks!

10. Clownman

Clownman Member

Thanks Guys!

jmmiliken, I did minimal prep to the motor, I wiped it down, degreased it, shot it with some Eastwoods Pre Cleaner, let it dry for a few hours, cleaned it again with compressed air and then applied the coating. I used an HVLP spray gun to apply it. I did nto remove any of the covers or anything, I just tapped the intake and exhaust ports and went to town. Its been about 4 months and it is still looking great, I cant speak on the fuel resistance of it because I try to keep fuel off the hot motor. Oil wipes right off with no issues though.

11. XJLee

XJLee Member

wow dude, well done.

12. Beck

Beck Member

That is one sweet looking ride. Thank you for taking us from start to finish. I'm inspired to continue with a bobber we started from a Honda Shadow. What did you do for a brake light? I tried looking through all the pics but don't see one.

13. Clownman

Clownman Member

Beck, the brake light i used is from Radiantz Led Lighting. I used a custom flex strip that integrates the brake and turn signals. It is mounted on the back tube of the frame with some 3M Automotive sticky tape. It is super bright and very small.

http://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c16.html&1

For the front turns I used their 1 inch yellow led strip lights and wired it all through one of their Smart Flash II kits. It all works flawlessly and was simple to install.

14. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Fantastic job Chris. An old thread, but this awesome cafe build deserve fresh eyes.

Your '80 XJ Cafe build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
    directory here: Clownman's '80 XJ Cafe build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
    Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
    build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
    the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al

15. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Looks like this has been dead for a while. I love the exhaust and think it's very original. I wonder if there are clearance issues when leaning.

16. Davidmoo

Davidmoo New Member

Hey clownman, how much would you charge to replicate the same exact wiring harness for me. I have the same exact bike but the 750 maxim.

17. silverdollar

silverdollar Member

This is my inspiration for my build. That front end conversion is a dream of mind. Great job!

18. Davidmoo

Davidmoo New Member

Does anyone know where clownman couldve repositioned his choke? I cant seem to make out wherr it is on his left handlebar

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think he dispensed with the cable and moved the enrichment plunger linkage with his hand directly.