1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 maxim choppy almost done!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by SexyMurder, May 2, 2013.

1. SexyMurder

SexyMurder New Member

hello folks! after 2 or so years of working on this mother it's finally riding. it's an 82 maxim with a custom frame i built and a sporty tank. it's riding really good and pulls very hard and incredibly smooth somehow. it's all good, but i'm now having a problem with the charging system. i followed the standard minimal wiring diagram. the only thing i'm not sure about are the 3 white ACG wires. i cut them to shorten them and i think i mixed them up when i hooked them back up with spade connectors. i didn't know it that matters, but it's either that or a missing ground i would guess. i was just wondering if anybody had a good way to check if it's charging with a multimeter or something. thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• khbh.jpg
      khbh.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  2. mojo

mojo Member

Hey SexyMurder, Good looking bike. I'm definitely not the guy to answer wiring questions, but those wires were torn loose on mine when I got it. I just hooked'em back together and rewired with the simplified diagrahm. It ran good. So either it doesn't matter, or I really got lucky. There's an endless amount of people here that are whizzes with this stuff. I'm sure one of 'em will chime in. And welcome.

3. Noffy07

Noffy07 New Member

Hey SexyMurder, good looking bike! I'm in the process of a custom job myself...I haven't got around to the electrical portion of it just yet, so I can't really speak about that from experience. I'm not one of the "whizzes" that mojo is talking about, but I would like to know what size front and rear tire you used? The front looks bigger than the 100/90-19.

Good Luck!

4. waldo

waldo Member

Good looking bike brother as far as the three wires from the alternator they need to run into the regulator why dont you sketch up a wiring diagram of what you have and lets go from there

5. SexyMurder

SexyMurder New Member

well i broke out the diagram and realized when i took it apart for final welding and paint i forgot the 10A signal fuse that connects the rectifier, alternator, and brake light to power. oops! it's all better now. all that's left is to make it idle! thanks for the suggestions! oh and the front tire is a 110. i think the rear is just like a 130 or whatever stock is.

Attached Files:

6. Noffy07

Noffy07 New Member

Thanks, looked bigger for some reason. Have fun

7. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Really nice chop! What is the rear fender from?