1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

poping out of gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by openeagle13, May 1, 2013.

1. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

I'm having problems with my bike poping out of gear when under acceleration and deceleration. Does anyone have any simple fixes or do i have to do major repairs.

2. Rickinduncan

Rickinduncan Member

What bike?

3. boldstar

boldstar Member

you could put your details in your sig and every 1 will no what bike we are discussing here loads of help here with some fantastic reply's sorry can't be of any great help on this perticular subject but am sure someone will chime in with some help good luck bud

4. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

I'd think oil change first. Castrol 4T 20-50 seems to be the ticket.

Or even cheaper, is your foot too close to the shifter, and accidentally knocking it?

Which gears? hot or cold make a difference?

5. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

Sorry it's a 81 750 seca and it tryes to come out of gear even with my foot pushing down on the shifter. The bike only has about 9000 miles on it.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Those must have been some tough first 9000 miles.
    Holding the Lever down or beating on it will just make matters worse.

Your case is bad.
    It's tough being the bearer of bad news.
    Especially at the beginning of the season.

A man named Phil had always worked hard but had never taken even a day's vacation. So friends and family urged him to take a big trip and get away from work. His biggest concern was his cat and who would look after the cat. Phil's brother stepped up to the task and Phil was happily off on a long vacation.

His first day out, Phil called his brother and the first thing he asked about was the cat. The brother replied he was very sorry but the cat had gotten out of the house and ran out into the street and was hit by a car and killed.

Phil was devestated! Once he finally composed himself he told his brother that he really should think about how he gives bad news to people.
    Since Phil was going to be gone for several weeks the brother could have said something like, "The cat is on the roof."
    In a day or so you could add "We've had trouble getting the cat down from the roof." In that way I'd know that something was up and at least I'd be a bit prepared for the news.

The brother apologized and said he would work at being more considerate in the future.
    So Phil then asked about their mother.

After a pause, Phil's brother said "uh, Mom's on the roof."

Your transmission's on the roof.

7. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

Well thanks for the help but do you know if i can use the case from the same bike but a 650

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

LOL! Rick you crack me up ;)

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You have a few options: Replacement engine (a 650 will fit, but you need the TCI as well as the engine)

Split the cases of your current engine and see if the engagement dogs can be recut.

Split the cases and replace the offending gear(s) with undamaged ones.

Typically what happens is the engagement dogs get rounded off (either by ham-fisted quick shifts, or just long term wear) and allow the sliding gear to move out of engagement with the fixed gear (called a false neutral) when under load. Snag yourself a used gearset off of e-bay or from a junkyard and you'l be back in business. Take the old gear to a machine shop to see if it's worth saving, so you have another spare if you should need one (or make yourself a nice pendant).

10. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

Ok thanks for the help

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

It's the BEGINNING of the season.
    You shouldn't be in the shop STARTING a big-job.
    Undercutting requires a Dremel Cutting Rig and some finesse, after the split you're gonna have to get right down to the real nitty gritty!

Mt. Everest.
    Full Tranny.
    Before you disconnect the Battery prepping to do the yanking; acquire a comprehensive "Factory Book".

You order the one SPECIFIC to your Bike.
    Step by step instructions with staged illustrations in Black and White; using the same technique 60-Minutes uses to protect the identity of a Top CIA Spooks. I need a magnifying glass.

If I were you, ... I'd skip doing the Split and do the Full Enchilada.
    Get a relatively-low miles Plant and keep the one that needs a tranny as a project and spare.

Ebay might have such a deal.
    Calling and using used part suppliers.
    They don't like being called Junk Yards.
    Google one hooked-up to the pre-owned parts supply network and they will put the request on the wire.

"The Book" will keep you from getting overwhelmed.
    Answers the question: "Now what?".

12. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Rick, you have all the subtlety of a hangman..."You won't be needing your necktie; can I have it"?

13. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

Thanks for all the info i do have a chiltons repair manual and I'm not helpless. I am a master automotive tech. I'm just not to up on motorcycle repair

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If it's just one gear - keep riding and enjoying the bike until you find the replacement motor. (you can shift thru the offending gear)

I bought my first 900 with a blown 2nd gear @ 1,000 miles and enjoyed the bike until I could afford to have it repaired.

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rick's less than subtle recommendation to get a factory book was nonetheless correct.

The aftermarket manuals leave out and/or gloss over some critical details in regard to reassembly that are NOT intuitive. The factory book covers them. The biggest drawback to factory books for most folks is that they assume you're already a trained mechanic.

I do not recommend splitting the cases without benefit of a factory manual.

16. openeagle13

openeagle13 New Member

I do have some friends that are bike mechanics that can help me when it comes time to do the work.

17. waldo

waldo Member

Well there you go you have skills and buddies that have knowledge on bikes get up get down and let us know what happens best of luck to you if you need some parts sing out Chacal will fix you up