1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Losing Your XJ, For Better Or For Worse?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by neronova, May 12, 2013.

1. neronova

neronova Member

So everyone on here must have an XJ and must enjoy it at least somewhat otherwise I am sure you wouldn't have kept it. But is there any bike out there you would happily trade your XJ in on? Have your sold your XJ to buy another bike and has it been better or worse?

I was wanting to ask the community about this because I just sold my 2 lovely XJs in a quest for glory, honour, and most importantly Triumph. Yes, that is right, I sold both my XJs and bought a Triumph (As they screaming blasphemy, and begin pelting him with stones). Its one of the 25, 1994 Daytona 1200's in red that is original to Canada, w/ 30000km. I loved the XJs when I had them, and would likely buy another down the road, financials in order and granted I decided I really needed a second bike, but I really don't regret selling the bikes to buy this Triumph, in my mind I really Triumphed! Haha! :lol: I bought it and immediately put 289km on it. Actually, first thing I did since I have been wanting one of these I was so anxious I fell over in the parking lot (Oops, many words that would make your ears curl were uttered). PROTIP - If you are getting the bike of your dreams, wait until you calm down and stop shaking before you try it! Haha! I wasn't too mad about it though really, I set it down pretty slowly once I knew she was going, and I like to put any bike I have down once to make sure I can pick it up, and I could without hassle.

I attached picture of the last XJ (Which I never got to finish, far from it) and the new bike (and a picture of what I wear riding so no one can bust my balls that I was sitting on the Triumph in shorts and a t-shirt, I don't ride like that, I wear my Kangaroo suit, helmet gloves, the whole deal). And yes, I am the skinniest SOB you have ever seen, been that way all 20 some odd years I have walked the planet (Because I get asked that way too often).

So lets hear your stories! Bikes you have sold/traded for something else and were burned/regretted nothing. What bikes are your dream bike, the bike that in your mind trumps all others and you would give anything to own? Does anybody (like me! :D ) own their dream bike currently?

Attached Files:

2. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

The ONLY think that will get my xj out of my death grip. A 2013 Yamaha V-Max, or a 2013 XJR 1300 painted yellow of coarse (see my gallery)

3. scrubby

scrubby Member

Not much would get the 700 out of my mitts lol but have a few bikes so I guess only thing of give of up for would be the wife and she likes riding it over all the others . I like riding her o wait with her. Lol

4. boldstar

boldstar Member

would not sell the max but another triumph daytona or bonneville would be ace

5. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Nah, I wouldn't sell them, I would only buy another :)

The way I look at it, is that I will never get what I put into my bikes, out if them, so they're a life long investment if a reliable bike, that in the end was a reasonable price.

The 1-2k that I could get for my 750 could never replace what it's worth to ME.

But adding another bike or few to the stable down the road? Absolutely.

7. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

8. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

First XJ I owned was a neglected MAxim-X that wouldn't even start when I bought it, due to burnt valves (so mechanic said). Once the valves were replaced, it was a fun ride, but then I had all sorts of troubles with the water pump because the mechanic forgot to put a small part back. At the end I was so fed up I sold it (fixed it myself before) and bought a 1995 HOnda MAgna a few months later.

The Magna is not as powerful as the X, but it is a reliable ride. Bought it 4 years ago, still owns it. But then I bought the Seca900 last February. I may end up selling the MAgna next fall, depending on if I find the Seca more comfortable for long rides.

9. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

When I got back into bikes, I purposely chose the XJ as one I wouldn't sell. If I bought a new bike *in additional to my Maxim* it would either be a Victory Judge or a new Yamaha Bolt (R-spec probably).

10. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

I would trade mine today for anything shaft drive, hydraulic valve and fuel injected. Even two outa three ain't bad (Meatloaf). I've been wrenching on mechanical things since I was 10 so I'm ready to take a break. A gently used Honda Pacific Coast would be perfect. I guess somewhere I got old but I did see a nice FJ1200 the other day that got my attention...

11. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I traided my first XJ750J after completing it for two XS1100's (78 E and 80 LG) that didn't run (plus $150) My wife was angry for it (we actually got into and argument in the guy's garage). The 78E I had running in two weeks and rode it for two years (melted a piston and now is a project with another motor) and the 80 LG is compleat and gave to my daughter for a weding present.

I still have an 83 XJ75 MN (its my wife's) and two XJ1100 (the running one is my wife's) So I never left the XJ family but I never thought that I would sell/trade my first one.

12. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I've put so much time and money into my max that it's not even worth it to sell it.... Plus, it means too much to me. Built it by hand.... not worth the $750 or whatever Id get to trade it....

13. neronova

neronova Member

I am surprised how many people wouldn't give up their XJs for much, if anything. You guys really love them! Haha! I also love the XJ's, quite a bit really, but...The Daytona. She was always in the back of my mind, I wanted her, I longed for her, for the day I could finally have her. And that first ride was exhilarating, I loved her, and her me. It was love at first sight, I had only seen picture until then, but seeing her the first time, getting to feel those sleek curves, oooh, I was putty in her seat! (I am still talking about a bike, right?)

I will be back on an XJ someday, but that Daytona will never leave my possession, ever. Good hearing everyones stories too. The XS 1100 as a wedding gift, wicked cool mate. The Dodge Tomahawk, craziest thing on 2 wheels. And thank you for the Triumph link there adrian1, much appreciated!

14. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I traded in the 750 for an FJ1200. I'm loving every mile on that bike.

I'm keeping the 550, though. It cost me $200, and I'm having fun fixing it.

15. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Everyone has preferences. I find crotch rocket style bikes like that Triumph ugly and too tall and I'd never spend money on one, but that doesn't mean others don't love them like you do.

Remember that many of us are twice your age or more, so when we think fondly of a bike it's from the 70's or 80's (or in a few cases, 50's and 60's) rather than 90's. XJs are from that era, so it's not surprising most of the people here, on the XJ Forum, are so fond of them.

16. jpacman

jpacman Member

I picked up my XJ750 for $200 and spent a year fixing it up. Very low miles so it was worth the time and effort. POs neglected the cosmetics but it's pretty sound mechanically. With 2 kids in college, it's about the right price point for me right now.

If I was to get another bike (I'm not selling the XJ for the same reasons that some others listed), I would get a dual sport single (KLR or some such). There's lots of back roads and trail riding around here.

Second choice: I really miss my Hurricane......Maybe a '92-'95 with low miles.......

I can dream, can't I?

17. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Oh and don't put ethanol in that plastic tank! Several threads on bubbling/bulging tanks on that Triumph site.

18. Heyitsme

Heyitsme Member

I would trade my xj700 for a 1986+ Honda VFR Interceptor. Ideally a 98. They seem to be reliable 100K+ bikes. I cant stand the sound of anything but a v-twin or a cross plane crank bike.

19. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I have a big a garage and my 2 xj's might not mind sharing space with another bike but if they did the other bike would be left outside !!

20. Foolber

Foolber Member

i didnt lose my XJ but i lost my Oakleys on a harley today....$300 out the window (pun intended?)