1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Calipers riding on the edge of rotor...Help, see pics

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Icebergh, May 10, 2013.

1. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Just starting my evaluation/restoration on the front brakes of my 82' 650 Seca. Flushed out the old fluid and they tightened right up. Then, I could not even roll the bike. I figured the pistons were stuck so I removed both calipers. I was able to pry back and depress the pistons back pretty easy. The left was harder by a bit but the problem became more obvious upon the re-install. See the pics and notice the rotor is riding on one edge. This is the fixed portion that is bolted to the fork. I see no adjustment to made anywhere. I included pics of each side of the axle assembly...does anyone notice something missing that would cause the two forks to be closer to each other. They appear fine and I have not yet measured. The other side is almost rubbing as well. Anyone? Anyone?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

It looks like you are missing a spacer.

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

It looks to me like you are missing a whole Brake Pad.

Two come in the Package. Both are needed for ONE side.

One ... gets Pushed by the Caliper Piston causing the Piston-activated Pad to be pressed against the ROTOR >]]]⸨> ||
    AND ...
    Simultaneously cause the Brake Caliper to "Float" ...
    Opposing the pressure of the Piston-pushed Pad forcing the Opposing Pad to make contact with the Rotor || <⸩❚❚ ... when the Caliper "squeezes" the Pads together. >❚❚]]]Pad || Pad❚❚< .

]]] = Piston
    || = Rotor
    ❚❚ = Caliper

5. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

[​IMG]

I don't see this spacer in your pic.

BUT

I also can't see the inside of your caliper/pad. Mine came from the PO just like yours. Mine was caused from the inside pad being too worn, allowing the caliper itself to be pushed into the rotor.

It may be a combination of both the spacer and worn pads.

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Sorry about the crappy image BTW. Took it with my cell when I got home from work.

And actually, mine had a lot more of the caliper worn away than yours does.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Missing Brake Pad(s).
    Caliper Seal Channel Crud.
    Traveling Parts, Rods, Bores cleaned and restored.
    New Seals
    Pins and Anti-rattle Springs wire brushed and pimped.
    Get Stainless-wrapped Brake Lines.
    (None finer than supplied by "XJ4Ever" Like at top of page.)

Then, you godda-do the ---> MASTER Cylinder!

The Circlip retaining the Plunger and Seals was Engineered by the grandson of the Kamikaze Zero Pilot you often see in News Reels crashing into the bridge of the Carrier Intrepid.

They say he has an American Flag on-the-floor under his design chair.
    Makes things hard for filthy Yankee dogs.

Needless to say, there might come a point, while trying defeat the Clip, where you'd rather be top-side, battling the fires on that Flight Deck.

I bought a new pair of Needle Nosed Pliers. Took the Old Pair over to the grinder, pared-down and modified the needles into a Special Tool.

Put a rag around the top of the Bore as a Safety Net against launching the Circlip, never to be seen again!

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-You do appear to be missing a spacer.

-You can adjust the "width" of the forks themselves, only one side is "pinned in place" on the axle, the other can be moved back/forth on the axle a few MM to get the brakes centered up.

-HOWEVER: You need to REBUILD those calipers; with new seals. Not just squeeze the pistons back in; they'll only lock up again.

-You also need to rebuild your master cylinder; http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=41403.html

-and REPLACE THE ORIGINAL BRAKE LINES. http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=41400.html

Then and only then will you have safe, reliable brakes.

9. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Thanks guys,
    I am missing that spacing collar. It is not the pads as they are very thick. It is not the pistons being stuck. The portion of the caliper that is rubbing (and almost rubbing on the other side) is fixed (never can move) by bolts to each fork and the rotor is fixed on to each side of the wheel. The measurement from outermost edge of rotor to rotor is slightly greater than the measurement from outer edges of the fixed portion of the caliper. (read that again to let it sink in..clear as mud). Anyway, looks like I will be taking the whole front end apart anyway to change the fork seals. Also, will replace brake lines during the master rebuild.
    Love this site as it makes this project truly enjoyable...expensive, but fulfilling.

10. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Expensive??? In the past two years, I've spent as much as I paid for my Maxim in '06. And I'm going to keep on spending. (Don't tell my wife.)

11. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Ya, this was going to be a quick, cheap, fix for my son to ride. Only paid $250. I suppose it's like getting a "FREE" puppy. It has now turned into my learning bike and I am enjoying every moment. My son is giving up hope on ever riding it.

12. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Like bmarzka said i have spent the price of the bike plus on needed repairs , maint , parts bike's yes i bought 2 , and last month i bought another seca just because . It's truly a love affair void of any thought of ust how much you spend

Attached Files:

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had (have) the same problem. Rescued my '81 from beside the road under a pile of snow and set it right.

After a couple thousand miles I said to myself, "self, I gotta get another one of these before I can't anymore" so I tracked down my black '83 which only had 7100 miles on it.

In the process of recommissioning the '81, I discovered and joined XJBikes. Still regret not having joined sooner, could have saved a lot of time and money.

I LOVE my XJ. It's the perfect balance of old-school, over-engineered cycle technology melded with what was at the time cutting edge engine development and they gave us an essentially bulletproof "racebike for the street." Put one back to fully operational condition and they're stone reliable.

14. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Yes indeed mr fitz !! well said !!

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I might have that spacer laying around here if you don't have it at all