1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gas odor from genesis motor...aka Maxim X..actually a Fazer

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Icebergh, May 15, 2013.

1. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

My other son has a 1986 FZX 700 Fazer. I believe this shares the engine or the technology of a Maxim X. Has a strong odor of gas filling my garage. Do not even need to run the bike. No drips or noticeable wetness. I'm thinking gas cap seal. Worried about a carb overflow into oil? I cannot get my head wrapped around those 90 degree tipped carbs...how does that work?
    Anyway, I am asking on here because XJ people know their stuff.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Check the airbox, too........if you have gas in there, you have a crank case full of gas-------

It doesn't take much gas to smell up a garage.....you could also have just a slight leak at the petcock, you could have a bad fuel rail o-ring, or leaky throttleshaft seals, to.............or a pinhole in the tank bottom....

You'll have to find it.

Dave F

3. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

If the gas cap isn't sealing well it would be easily noticeable if you put your nose very close to the gas cap, and get a good snif. Before you do that test, get the bike outside and leave it there for a few minutes so you won't get mislead by the strong odor in the garage..

4. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

check the vac petcock. If its leaking in the motor you should have smoke . An easy fix put a manual shut off valve between petcock and carbs. also check the vac line to the petcock if its leaking there you know your in trouble.
    I believe it has a petc0ok just like the xj

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I doubt it's the gas cap - - I'd check the oil first.
    Does it have a fuel pump ??
    The carbs have regular floats oriented "level" despite their shape.

6. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

The oil fill level is distinct and clean in the glass...not overfull. Smell is strongest at the cap...wouldn't every bike? Yes it has a fuel pump. Upon looking I see that the Maxim X has carbs oriented like the XJ. I'll try to attach a photo of the offset 90 of the Fazer. Carbs were "cleaned" by PO. This guy was a major motorhead with two fully custom Viragos. We will just keep sniffing and looking. I was mostly concerned about fuel in the case[​IMG][/img] This is not the actual bike but just to show the orientation...not the leaking shaft lseals

7. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

My '95 Honda Magna doesn't smell gas at all even close to the gas cap, but my '83 Seca900 smells gas strong there.

Gas cap rubber seal doesn't last forever, and when it gives up, it lets some fumes out for sure.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If the bike smells strongly of gas at the cap, rebuild the cap! New seals are available; I had to do both of mine so far and the third one will likely need it too. None of my XJs smell of gasoline when sitting parked.

Thirty year old rubber parts tend to dry out...