1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for tank for 1981 550 Yamaha Seca

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by karlritz, May 8, 2013.

1. karlritz

karlritz New Member

Looking for tank for 1981 550 Yamaha Seca. My wife threw it out by mistake!

2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Wow....serious consequences for that!

3. karlritz

karlritz New Member

YES!!

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

I'd love to be able to sell you my tank, but my Seca would look funny without it.
    Please let us know if you find a source, and condition, etc. when you receive it.

Chacal does list new ones available. Pricy, but if you need one...

FROM THE XJ4EVER Catalog:

GAS TANKS:

h12) OEM original steel GAS TANK, brand new originals exactly replace your originals.

NOTE on tank interchange: all XJ650 (except Turbo) and 750 tanks will swap between those models and fit, but may experience some minor interference issues with the front of the seat/seat pans. Many XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim owners like to upgrade to the larger XJ750 Maxim tanks, and that is basically a bolt-on swap.

XJ550 tanks (Maxim and Seca models) will interchange with each other, but will NOT swap with XJ650 or above models (the tank mounting dimensions are different). XJ700 tanks will NOT interchange with any other models. XJ650 Turbo tanks will NOT interchange with any other models. XJ900RK tanks will NOT interchange with any other models.

Due to the size of these items, the "over $100" freight discounts do not apply to this product.

HCP127-6G OEM original steel GAS TANK, factory gloss black color, fits all XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. NOTE: the gloss black finish on this tank is correct for 1980 XJ650 Maxim and 1981 XJ650 Midnight Maxim models only. All other years of XJ650 Maxims that used a "black" paint color actually used a gloss black with a very subtle metallic "star" flake coloration inserted. Bare tank does not include the front trim, gas cap, petcock, or any mounting hardware or bushings. New.
    $ 359.00

HCP9911-33 OEM original steel GAS TANK, factory low gloss black color, fits all XJ650 Turbo models. NOTE: this tank is the larger capacity 1983 5.0-gallon tank, and will fit all 1982 models correctly. New.
    $ 499.00

HCP3116-6G OEM original steel GAS TANK, factory gloss black color, fits all XJ700 non-California models. NOTE: the gloss black finish on this tank is correct for the 1985 XJ700N and 1986 XJ700XS models. Bare tank does not include the gas cap, petcock, or any mounting hardware or bushings. NOTE: can be used on California models, but do not have the port for the use of the rollover valve..
    $ 599.00

HCP3117-KU OEM original steel GAS TANK, fits all XJ700 models. NOTE: these tanks normally come to us painted in the original 1985 "Scarlet Red" color. These tanks are for California model bikes as they have the port for the use of the rollover valve.

Bare tank does not include the front trim, gas cap, petcock, or any mounting hardware or bushings.

Also, due to the size of this item, the "over $100" freight discounts do not apply to this product.
    $ 499.00

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not for the 550 Seca he doesn't.

eBay or another member will be your solution.

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

7. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I see a few tanks on e bay but they are a little rough

8. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Damn your fast mtnbike

9. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

That isn't right

XJ650 Seca 19 litre tank and XJ550 Seca 15 litre tank are a straight bolt up swap on original mounts but require modification to the front of the 550 seat as the 650 tank is a bit longer

10. bostonXJ

bostonXJ Member

I have the tank for an 82 550 seca that I'll let go for $50 +shipping. It's not in the best condition, but its rust free.

11. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

That was a quote from Chacal's catalog. If it's wrong, my apologies!

12. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I only know because bought a 19 litre XJ650 tank for my 550 to try it for my cafe racer build (and for extra range) I thought it would need modification for the mounts but it didn't , on the 550 there's a tab off the back of the tank, on the 650 the same tab is under the tunnel but fits the 550 mount

You couldn't use the 650 tank with the stock 550 seat and the 650 seat doesn't fit, you could probably modify the front of the stock seat but at a guess you need to take 3 inches out of it

You also lose the use of the fuel guage unless you could modify the 650 tank to take the sender unit

13. karlritz

karlritz New Member

I appreciate all the feedback from members. Bike probably isn't worth what a new tank costs, so I'd like to try the used one first. Contact me offline at karlritz@productionprocess to discuss please. Thanks,

14. karlritz

karlritz New Member

BostonXJ how do I move forward with purchase from you?