1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj750 carb issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mafia101, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mafia101

mafia101 Member

My 82 xj750 is running like crap. It has individual air filters no box and aftermarket exhaust. I pulled the carbs and quickly cleaned them but when I started it it ran horrible. This is better then not running at all. I think I need at a minimum to fully clean the carbs but IMO I need a jet kit. I'm curious what stage kit I should get. I've never done Carb work .also one of the float needle valves has a part of the rubber tip missing. It was leaking fuel through this Carb. Could it be that part or is it more likely that when I put the carbs back together it just did not seat properly. Any help would be great thanks.

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Ah, the dreaded pods. Some people swear by them, some swear AT them.

I don't have links handy, but there are gobs of threads on here about trying to get pods to work right. RickCoMatic has come up with an idea he thinks might help, but as my machine is stock, I can't try it myself to see whether it works or not.

Yeah, those rubber tips are rather important. Best to replace the needles.

As you haven't done carb work, as you say, these files might come in handy:

Setting The Fuel Levels
    Inside Your Carbs
    (It doesn't explain how to clean the carbs; it shows what the passages look like inside and gives you an idea of what you're up against when you're cleaning them.)

If you haven't done so already, get yourself a manual of some sort. Chacal can hook you up with parts and technical documentation.

3. mafia101

mafia101 Member

wow those pdf`s are great. So I guess im going inside my carbs. Should I bother with some sort of jet kit or should I try with what I have? Im starting to think it`s just all gunked up because it would not strat at all and after a real quick( and I mean real quick) cleaning it started rather easily. It just ran poorly. I guess I should break them down and get a couple cans of carb cleaner and go to town.

4. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I say clean the carbs, then try what you've got and go from there.

As for the aforementioned "gobs of threads" about pods, here are just two.

Success stories of pods and 4to1 exhaust
    Simple Mod *may* solve pod tuning hardships

The second thread is rather lengthy, and I don't know if anyone has actually tried this or not, so caveat emptor.

Oh, and let's not forget what our own Chacal, Parts Wrangler ExtraOrdinaire, has to say about them (and many other things):

The Information Overload Hour

That should tide you over for a bit. :)

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

With Pods and Aftermarket Exhaust, ... you got your hands full.

My suggestion to you is: Make your situation better.
    Look for an Airbox.
    Read some of the Posts that show DIY Boots.

Get the Bike running very well, ... BEFORE you attempt to solve the mystery of Pods.
    You're going to have to do some tinkering, ... just to compensate for the Exhaust Mod.
    Piling-on the Pods might be too much to ask for trying to make the Bike run troubles-free.

Default.
    Do what is necessary to make that machine run real well.
    Know what its like to have a well-tuned Bike, ... first.
    Then, tip-toe down Pod Boulevard having somewhere to return to if Modified Tuning experimentation doesn't work-out for you.

Make "Job-One" getting a Yamaha Factory Workshop Manual.
    My 2-Cents.

6. mafia101

mafia101 Member

Thanks Rick you helped me last year when my bike was running way too lean. My goal will be to somehow get an air box, but first get it to run good. I now understand that it will be difficult to get it perfect with pods. The bad thing is that I dont have a lot of cash to dump in to it so chances are pod`s are here for a while.

7. RickCoMatic

You could be in for quite a struggle.

8. mafia101

mafia101 Member

All I want to do is ride again lol. And I want to do so with some dependability

9. RickCoMatic