1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project Bike: 550 bobber - Central NC

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by syckstyle, May 16, 2013.

1. syckstyle

syckstyle New Member

I recently picked up a great project bike and I'm getting started this weekend.

Need help on finding a good HARDTAIL kit and TANK to convert bike to a 550 bobber like another guy posted in the forum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

good luck with this project! there might be some usable parts on there still....

3. syckstyle

syckstyle New Member

Yeah that's what I'm realizing but I'm thinking that too...but I'm not down on this because I'm really just loving the frame and planning to buy another engine. Only thing I'm looking to keep is the frame, forks, rims, braking mechanism and transmission and carbs if I can...we shall see though?!

4. syckstyle

syckstyle New Member

Started sanding and grinding away rust and sections that were welds and prep work for the hardtail kit.

[​IMG]

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Now that's a ambitious project. I would like to see it sometime. I work in RTP and live in Apex, just a short ride away.

6. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Did you find a hardtail kit yet? TCBrothers makes one for the XS650 that can be used for the XJ with some work or you can get the needed pipe from them to do your own.
    What ideas do you have for a tank? Keep in mind that a Frisco tank will require a mod to the tank tunnel or converting the triple backbone to a single with a few added gussets. The Suzuki S40 tank will work with slight mods and looks sorta like a Frisco style, would be easier/less work than converting the backbone.

7. MattsXJ

MattsXJ New Member

I always encourage those who can to make their own hardtail. Pick you up some rigid from Home depot, cut, bend then cut again. You'll find there's more pride in something you can create than over what you can just buy and bolt on.

8. Ari_Gold

Ari_Gold New Member

eastern nc here got any new pics ?

9. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I think he got overwhelmed with the project and is taking a break.